Unofficial New England Spring Outing - Cape Cod

OITW

Reaction score
It's that time of year where golf season is almost upon us, which means I think it's time to get out for some golf and fun with my fellow New Englanders and anyone else who is interested.

Last year we did this one

Day 1 Saturday April 14th:

36 Holes of Golf on Saturday at The Captains Golf Course

Two championship golf courses at one location!
Together, the par-72 Port Course and the par-72 Starboard Course deliver 36 holes of enjoyment during your visit to Cape Cod.

Golf Cape Cod at the Captains Golf Course. The Captains is Cape Cod’s premier public golf course facility, located in Brewster, Massachusetts – the golf capital of the Lower Cape! Our staff includes PGA professionals available for lessons and clinics. We also feature a fully stocked Pro Shop as well as full restaurant amenities for outings and banquets. The course is conveniently located off the Mid-Cape Highway and is within easy driving distance of Providence and Boston.

It is $56 for the am round with a cart. $20 is the replay rate that includes a cart as well.

Committed for 36 holes of golf at The Captain's Golf Course:
OITW
OITW +1
The Dude
The Dude +1
Greg19
Art M
Haso

Interested:
GraniteRoost
rickterp
Jaymo37

Tee Times:

7:48 and 7:57am Starboard Course

1:39 and 1:48 Port Course

Last edited:
I'm in for any and all spring gathering activities!

Do you have a date set? Very interested

How many extra strokes would I get for traveling 5 hours?

How many do you want? I'll give you 30 strokes if it's against The_Dude :alien::angel:

Wait... the 4X HOFer wants more strokes... that's a good one... :glasses-cool:

If you do another one later in the year keep me in mind. If things line up and personal life settles Id love to play with you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How many do you want? I'll give you 30 strokes if it's against The_Dude :alien::angel:

Wait... the 4X HOFer wants more strokes... that's a good one... :glasses-cool:

I had great teammates, but if it comes down to drunk putting in the dark, you're in trouble.

I had great teammates, but if it comes down to drunk putting in the dark, you're in trouble.

If you're in for the overnight, I'm sure we can get a drunk putting contest going.

If you do another one later in the year keep me in mind. If things line up and personal life settles Id love to play with you guys

You're an honorary new englander at this point. Always Welcome!

If you're in for the overnight, I'm sure we can get a drunk putting contest going.

I'll even give strokes at that..Maynard glow golf FTW.

I miss you northern goofballs. Put me on the always interested, but unlikely list? Somebody drag Russ into this!

If you're lucky then maybe you will get paired up with me again!

Brian, I wouldn't be too confident drunk putting against the champ...well carpet putting in hotel hallways anyways!

c56060bfb4ec42c39f66f88f15a14e4d.jpg

On another note, I'm confirmed with a plus 1 for Saturday at Captains for 36.

Last edited:

If you ever come up here for a gathering, my door is always open. Not literally but you get the gist of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bump Bump Bump Bump it up!!!

I'm in for the Saturday, will have to check on Sunday.

For people on the fence about 2nd day at Ocean Edge I can give it a ringing endorsement. I went last year and had an absolute blast and for $129 all in it's an absolute STEAL. Course is demanding yet fair and was in great shape considering how early in the season we went. Wind was up second day we played and it was a beast. I can only imaging how beautiful it is when in season. I'm able to make Saturday at Captain's and I'm bummed I can't do 2nd day due to prior commitment. Hope to see more people take advantage of at least some part of our spring gathering. @artm @haso

I’m interested; trying to figure out which day works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have interest in day trip have to check with the wife. Would love the overnight but do not want to push it. Seems like a great deal.

PSA

If you’re interested in Sunday you have to commit to the overnight.

I have interest in day trip have to check with the wife. Would love the overnight but do not want to push it. Seems like a great deal.

What do mean push it? You've already taken her on a dream vacation to Pinehurst this year. She owes you!

What do mean push it? You've already taken her on a dream vacation to Pinehurst this year. She owes you!

Haha once there she was like is there anything else to do here besides golf? Answer...not much

Would love to get out with more NE THP crew. Can’t wait till this snow to melt.

Sounds like fun but I have vowed to NEVER play the Captains again after a horrendous experience there about 10 years ago.

Back then the starter told me that every other tee time was reserved for members. These times alternated with public. He was nice enough and asked only that we keep up with the group in front of us (members). We began our round with smiles and laughs.
We spent the first 4 holes waiting on every shot for the group in front of us. There was no sign of a ranger. Suddenly the members realized that they were a hole or so behind the group in front of them and they skipped a hole to catch up. My group then began to play. We were happy.
Then it happened.
The ranger appeared and informed us that we were not keeping pace. I explained what had happened and was rebuffed and told to go immediately to the next tee or we would be removed from the course. I again repeated that it was the group in front of us that was slow and if he gave us a couple holes we were likely to be caught up to them and waiting again. He dismissed my arguments and repeated his threat to throw us off the course.
We went to the next tee and immediately began waiting on the group in front of us. The ranger never appeared again until he showed up at the turn and began berating our group again for not being on the 10th tee. I explained that we were getting a couple drinks for the back 9 and would be on the tee as soon as the snack bar filled our order. Once again we were threatened with removal from the course.
The back 9 featured more of the same. Group in front slooooow until they would skip a hole. Ranger shows up immediately and tells us to catch up or be thrown out.
We finished our "round" in 3 hours and 50 minutes.
I went to the pro shop and asked to speak to the manager. I could see him in his office. The cashier went in to get him and returned to tell me he was unavailable.
I asked her for a paper and pen which I used to write him a note explaining what had happened and expressing my dismay at the treatment we had received.
I have never received a response or explanation as to why we were harassed in that manner.
I have vowed never to step foot on that course and to share my story whenever possible.
Hope you guys have a better experience than my friends and I had.

Back