The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

Phil, I can see you smiling from here!

Fantastic video JB.....the good life indeed.

And thanks for using the non-radio version of that song, mucho better.

Hard to believe it's over for the year.......but ecstatic to see that this is not the end.

The video is tremendous. It continues to floor me what Callaway does for our forum family members through this event and all the other interactions (in person or digital). There is something special and different about being in an intimate group like this event provides. Whether or not I ever get to experience it, I am appreciative as hell that some number of our guys get to take that ride and will again in 2016.

Just saw the video, awesome stuff. Can't wait to set some time aside to read the recaps

Great video and love the recap PhillyV.

cant wait to read the rest

Awesome video, perfection at every turn for sure!!!

Can't wait to read through all the great recaps!

Great Re-Cap PhillyV. Felt like I was right with you guys in the live thread. You did an amzing job of keeping us updated.

That was a great video. I can't wait to see more recaps posted.

Team Redemption
In no particular order

Jman - You were named captain last year and reluctantly walked away for the birth of your child. When you got your chance, you took the ball and ran with it. You did things differently, you did things your way and in the end, I was so proud to be a member of this team. For us that does not stop, and for that we will always be thankful. You gave me back a restored faith in humanity and as a person, I am honored to call you a friend.

ddec - It was hard typing in your name for obvious reasons. It shouldn't have been, but it was. We shared each round together in the cart, and you got less revolting as the time went on. You put up with me leaving you in bad places, and when I put you in a good spot, you buried the putt to ridiculous close out shooting -3 in 6 holes of Alternate Shot. But it wasnt about the golf, it was about the situation and despite us sharing many over the years, sharing this one with you was special.

Tbaker34 (yes you got a new name now) - What a whirlwind it must have been during selection time. We had met previously and you are always so quiet and this week you got to come out of your shell a bit. The moment Jason Finley met you and said "Whoa" will never be forgotten and I know on a personal level that this week hit you right square where you needed it. Congrats on the journey to being the person you have wanted to be and we know you can be.

Nebgolfer - MVP of the King. Got the autobid and found himself with set plans on fitness and health and we are all so proud of you for it. When people call the Grandaddy a life changing event, I think you stand as the epitome of that. I know you were a bit hard on yourself after the golf, but then it hit you what this is all about. Kudos and I know you will cherish it forever.

PhillyV - MVP of the Gauntlet. Something about your attitude while there became infectious. You realized early on what this whole thing was and hit a home run from every angle. Im sure as a Browns fan, the loss we suffered doesnt hit you as hard (I kid I kid), but from the minute we got there, you knew what stood in front of you. Let me tell you from the outside looking in, seeing you and your wife evolve and set goals over the last 2 years is awe inspiring. You were my MVP on a team full of MVPs.

Rallo - Dude, you became a verb with like 50 meanings at this thing. But you took it all in stride and came out smiling. FYF (which means Eff your face for those following) may have been one of those unique moments where I realized how much of a verb you really are. Legendary and learning from the greats that say "leave your mark".

TexasHacker - Brother, you are a beast. Well, half of a beast now anyway. I am now committed thanks to you and it feels good. I know you wanted to tar and feather the man on the course, but you know better than anybody, that it didn't matter (all that much anyway). For every Superman there must be a Lex Luthor and I cant think of a better dynamic duo than that. You came, you saw, you improved and you never know when you might get another shot.

cdpkook132 - One of my favorite memories was at dinner when you said "I cant wait to come back in a few years at the 2012 Grandaddy". I remember Ethan's face and it was priceless. You lived this like it was yours and I know you soaked it all in like a sponge. It came at the perfect time for you, so I am so glad you got to experience it.

mikeg_74 - From organizing the gift for Jman, to the time we arrived in San Diego, you were ready. You wore your heart on your sleeve and embraced every last second of our time there. There is something to be said for a guy that just gets it, while we were out there and this whole team did, partly because of how you handled yourself. I know you put a lot of work in, and it was a blast to watch from the outside looking in.

Harvmp28 - Talk about a guy that was all smiles all week long. From the time I met you till the time we said our goodbyes, you were smiling. Watching your fitting was a lot of fun and seeing your interaction go from amazement to even more amazement made me remember what this is all about. Not the event only, but life. You dont know it, but that had a big impact on me and thank you.

misike - Something about your posts all week long made me realize what this was this event does to people. Im not sure why, how or what made me single yours out, but just something I noticed. Whether it be because I could literally hear the excitement from the text on the screen or I was saying it in your voice as I was reading it, I have no idea, but it was incredible.

Team Redemption I went in saying I would have preferred just watching from the sidelines and came out saying I wouldn't have changed a thing. You 11 men + my amazing best friend and wife brought me something this week that will be impossible to explain, but knowing me, I will try. You brought me an understanding of life, emotion and something I like to call motivation. Not motivation to redeem or win, but motivation to bring you the best, and this was the best. Not motivation to smile more or be happy (I am happy), but motivation to remember. Things go by quickly and when you stop and smell the roses every once in a while, you realize that you are surrounded by greatness from all walks of life.

I went back to read my post I made before the event, the one with the questions that I said "read this post event and see what your thoughts are" and mine changed dramatically. I wouldnt want to do this with a group of homeless people, but I sure as heck would pick each and every one of you up along the way to do it again. I love you all and cant wait to see everybody again.

Damn PhillyV, you know how to put together one hell of a recap man. Thanks for taking the time to do that, very enjoyable reads in those posts.

Great video!

Damn PhillyV, you know how to put together one hell of a recap man. Thanks for taking the time to do that, very enjoyable reads in those posts.
It took me parts of three days to capture everything i wanted to, and go figure i left some things out but ill post them a little later

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

YES! Kills me I can't see the video from work, but soon.

I'm ready for this thread, but I'm also at a loss of where to start with all of this awesome that unfolded. This event changed everything for me. Everything.

I know all the participants were blown away, Jman... I'm truly interested to hear about the bolded part, if you'll be sharing that in your recap.

Team Redemption
In no particular order

Jman - You were named captain last year and reluctantly walked away for the birth of your child. When you got your chance, you took the ball and ran with it. You did things differently, you did things your way and in the end, I was so proud to be a member of this team. For us that does not stop, and for that we will always be thankful. You gave me back a restored faith in humanity and as a person, I am honored to call you a friend.

ddec - It was hard typing in your name for obvious reasons. It shouldn't have been, but it was. We shared each round together in the cart, and you got less revolting as the time went on. You put up with me leaving you in bad places, and when I put you in a good spot, you buried the putt to ridiculous close out shooting -3 in 6 holes of Alternate Shot. But it wasnt about the golf, it was about the situation and despite us sharing many over the years, sharing this one with you was special.

Tbaker34 (yes you got a new name now) - What a whirlwind it must have been during selection time. We had met previously and you are always so quiet and this week you got to come out of your shell a bit. The moment Jason Finley met you and said "Whoa" will never be forgotten and I know on a personal level that this week hit you right square where you needed it. Congrats on the journey to being the person you have wanted to be and we know you can be.

Nebgolfer - MVP of the King. Got the autobid and found himself with set plans on fitness and health and we are all so proud of you for it. When people call the Grandaddy a life changing event, I think you stand as the epitome of that. I know you were a bit hard on yourself after the golf, but then it hit you what this is all about. Kudos and I know you will cherish it forever.

PhillyV - MVP of the Gauntlet. Something about your attitude while there became infectious. You realized early on what this whole thing was and hit a home run from every angle. Im sure as a Browns fan, the loss we suffered doesnt hit you as hard (I kid I kid), but from the minute we got there, you knew what stood in front of you. Let me tell you from the outside looking in, seeing you and your wife evolve and set goals over the last 2 years is awe inspiring. You were my MVP on a team full of MVPs.

Rallo - Dude, you became a verb with like 50 meanings at this thing. But you took it all in stride and came out smiling. FYF (which means Eff your face for those following) may have been one of those unique moments where I realized how much of a verb you really are. Legendary and learning from the greats that say "leave your mark".

TexasHacker - Brother, you are a beast. Well, half of a beast now anyway. I am now committed thanks to you and it feels good. I know you wanted to tar and feather the man on the course, but you know better than anybody, that it didn't matter (all that much anyway). For every Superman there must be a Lex Luthor and I cant think of a better dynamic duo than that. You came, you saw, you improved and you never know when you might get another shot.

cdpkook132 - One of my favorite memories was at dinner when you said "I cant wait to come back in a few years at the 2012 Grandaddy". I remember Ethan's face and it was priceless. You lived this like it was yours and I know you soaked it all in like a sponge. It came at the perfect time for you, so I am so glad you got to experience it.

mikeg_74 - From organizing the gift for Jman, to the time we arrived in San Diego, you were ready. You wore your heart on your sleeve and embraced every last second of our time there. There is something to be said for a guy that just gets it, while we were out there and this whole team did, partly because of how you handled yourself. I know you put a lot of work in, and it was a blast to watch from the outside looking in.

Harvmp28 - Talk about a guy that was all smiles all week long. From the time I met you till the time we said our goodbyes, you were smiling. Watching your fitting was a lot of fun and seeing your interaction go from amazement to even more amazement made me remember what this is all about. Not the event only, but life. You dont know it, but that had a big impact on me and thank you.

misike - Something about your posts all week long made me realize what this was this event does to people. Im not sure why, how or what made me single yours out, but just something I noticed. Whether it be because I could literally hear the excitement from the text on the screen or I was saying it in your voice as I was reading it, I have no idea, but it was incredible.

Team Redemption I went in saying I would have preferred just watching from the sidelines and came out saying I wouldn't have changed a thing. You 11 men + my amazing best friend and wife brought me something this week that will be impossible to explain, but knowing me, I will try. You brought me an understanding of life, emotion and something I like to call motivation. Not motivation to redeem or win, but motivation to bring you the best, and this was the best. Not motivation to smile more or be happy (I am happy), but motivation to remember. Things go by quickly and when you stop and smell the roses every once in a while, you realize that you are surrounded by greatness from all walks of life.

I went back to read my post I made before the event, the one with the questions that I said "read this post event and see what your thoughts are" and mine changed dramatically. I wouldnt want to do this with a group of homeless people, but I sure as heck would pick each and every one of you up along the way to do it again. I love you all and cant wait to see everybody again.

Now its dusty. Thank you my friend. Those words mean more to me than you will ever know.

My recap will come in the next few days. Not sure how to put it together and I know it will get emotional for me, but it will be here soon

WOW! I thought I had my emotions in check since coming home, but good lord it's dusty in here after watching that video. Before I get into the details I need to thank JB & GG. Without their dreams and visions for ordinary golfers like us, non of this happens. This is an event that changes golf lives forever, regardless of the OEM sponsoring it. Don't get me wrong, I love the gear and all the swag, but the brotherhood and family, YES FAMILY, bonding this event creates is amazing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, THP is home, THP is family and that is a direct result of the welcoming environment that JB & GG have created along with the staff that maintains that vision daily. Thank you somehow never seems like enough to show how grateful and appreciative I am for what I experienced.

Thank you to Callaway golf and everyone who had a hand in making 12 golfer's dreams come true. It's easy to sit back and engage golfers in the traditional avenues, but to constantly go above and beyond the way you to is incredible. Your passion for the game and to grow the game is infectious. Please never change and keep making it better. It's no secret I am a Callaway/Odyssey homer & this event means the world to me. From day one I was going to make sure this event lives one and I did my absolute best to be the THP Ambassador we were tasked to be.

Last, thank you to my wife and daughters. Since that morning when #Cookie woke me up telling me I was in, my life has been a blur & my wife and daughters were behind me 100%. They know I do not half ass anything, and this one was getting my full attention. We worked out a schedule and i'll forever be grateful for the sacrifices they made. Like the first two, thank you doesn't seem like enough.

Travel Day-
I'll never forget that morning I found out I was selected to be on the team. #Cookie was blowing up my phone texting me and I finally woke up to look at my phone. I remember texting #Cookie to quit F***ng with me it's too damn early in the morning. Next thing I know I'm logging into THP and see I have a PM from JB. Usually a PM from him is a good thing and I started to get excited. I read that PM a dozen times it seems and it still didn't sink in. I immediately woke my wife up and told her the news. Mind you i've been talking here ear off about this event since the first one and she was happy I was selected. I think my next text was to Kevin (T2GRN) because he is and has been my voice of reason with this event. We both share the same passion for this event and if nothing else, I was gonna make him proud as a participant in this event.

The whole family saw me off Sunday morning. I was up early to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. A few kisses and goodbyes to the family and I'm on my way. I wont bore you with the flight details, but landing in SD and a private driver waiting for you is pretty cool. At that moment it hit me, i'm at the Grandaddy! From that moment on, until I got on a plane to leave I would not stop smiling. As I was checking into the hotel I saw a few of the guys & as would be customary each morning, a trim and fit Taylor was heading to the gym. The kid is looking good and his dedication is infectious. No infectious enough to follow though, I dropped my bags in the room and made it to the bar. I meet up with some of the guys and if anyone had any doubts about how we would gel together, that all went out the window. A solid group and I knew the week was going to be awesome experiencing this with them. It's been said before and I'll echo it again, whether you are at your 1st or 10th THP event, the initial meet and greet is like catching up with old friends. Jeff Neubarth made a quick appearance at the bar and you could tell right away, he was as excited for this as we were. That's kinda cool to see from a person who has won 3 Emmy's and has rubbed elbows with some of sports elite.

I get back to my room to clean up and take a quick nap. Surprisingly I was able to nap a bit and wake up refreshed. Arriving at dinner my heart was racing I saw our group at the bar and we all chatted for a bit before heading to the back room to get settled in for dinner. As we all settled in Philly V and I looked at each other like "is this really happening right now" We could not believe we were in SoCal for the Grandaddy. It got real fast. At that moment I got the feeling Philly V and I were going to be on the same wave length the whole time. (more about that later)

Next thing I know food is hitting the table, drinks are being poured and we are having a great time. A quick toast to start the week off and our captain gets up to address the team. That speech got me going. I was ready to play some golf right then and there if I had to. I'm an emotional person, and you throw in an event with people and an OEM I am passionate about, it just got exponentially bigger. You could feel the team bond after his speech and the room full of guys that never met for the most part, instantly became a team. That speaks volumes on how James captained this team, dared to do things differently & kicked ass in the process.

Just was we were rounding into form, Finley walks in pulling a luggage cart full of duffle bags. I immediately notice the Grandaddy logo and thought how cool is this, we are getting some bags! Little did I know they were packed with Grandaddy swag. You all have seen the pictures, but to say I was floored is an understatement. Once the bags were handed out I saw the box containing the gift we all got for James. Just before we could do that good 'ol Rallo walks in the room. Rallo had the travel adventure I'm sure he will share with you, but to become a verb that would become universal in it's use is pretty cool. Under any circumstance you can say "You've Just Been Ralloed" and it will fit. #FYF Rallo!!

I stood up and asked James to grab the box behind him. I said some words and to be honest I have no clue what I said. James is more than a captain to me & i was getting choked up presenting his gift. He doesn't know, but he is a huge reason i'm at THP. So rather than start crying like a baby I asked him to open his gift as a small thank you from us to him. For those that missed the gift here it is.

33fd43946ec60857ff8c6588ee1c4644.jpg

It took some logistical planning on everyone's part, but in the end we got it done. Also a HUGE thank you to Jason Finley & Matt Wood. Without you two, this gift isn't possible.

Finely heads out and JB & GG call it a night shortly after that. The 11 of us are in the room and we are all just still stunned at what we were just given & this is just the beginning. I have no idea who came up with getting Patron shots, but I didn't complain. Nothing says team bonding like shots of tequila!!!

Next recap is ECPC, Callaway tour & the bus ride. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading my thoughts.

That video was incredible.....can't wait to get a round with MikeG and hear all the stories and check out the gear!

Wow, such an awesome video JB. And I love reading JB, PhillyV and MikeG's recaps. So many good memories. I'm smiling right now just like I was back there again with you guys. Such a special experience and group. Iit appears that it's a bad day for air quality in much of the country today, as it's a little dusty here in Ohio too. I'll be getting my recap up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only know one way to do this, and thats to just put it all out there, for the sake of size, I'm going to do several entries over the next several days though...

Part 1 - #TheGrandaddy as a Whole

Man, where to begin? I really believe that the scope and breadth of this event cannot be put into words, and that is part of its brilliance. We as THP'ers, everyday average golfers, are essentially given the ultimate golden ticket to have Callaway throw back the curtain and make our wildest dreams become a reality in what I truly believe to be the greatest amateur golfing even anywhere. My ride in this one has been an interesting one, I remember like it was yesterday being on the edge of my seat in awe of the first group from start to finish of this event and getting a text from GG to immediately get on the forum and press record...only to see a video from Harry naming me the captain. JB mentioned it, and many here know, my wife and I were blessed with a wild little girl named Charlotte who decided to make her appearance what would have been a day or two before the event, it took a lot out of me to step aside for that, but knowing #Cookie would take my place made it easier. I won't mince words that the entire time I was rooting those guys on I was daydreaming of THIS year, fortunately it came true and I was given the ultimate second chance opportunity, the chance to lead #TeamRedepmtion, the chance to make a difference.

This chance meant and means WAY more to me than just being in #TheGrandaddy itself, my only mission coming in was doing everything I could to make damn sure it had the absolute BEST chance to come back for more and more to have the opportunity to experience it all. I've been on THP many many years and through MANY "big" events, with those the usual patterns always seemed to occur with teams and the forum, there was always a sort of dividing/separating line between them and it has always confused me (moreso having been a part, sadly, in those very things) because the events happen BECAUSE of the forum. So, for better or worse, I wanted things to be vastly different and to show that things can be done different, thats where the "Pillars" of #TheGrandaddy came from and why the emphasis was that it would ALL be on the forum, no chats, no text chains, no facebook groups, NO DRAMA. Its insanely hard to do things differently than they have been done before, particularly when some have been around and a part of that mentality/mindset, but dammit, my team took what I asked them to heart and trusted it. At times, I know it was hard, but when we all sat down at that table together in Cali the first night it all made sense and meshed seamlessly. We showed that it CAN be done without the behind the scenes stuff, that and emphasis on this place (THP) can keep people engaged through a year AND drive us as a team. I want it clear that this path was NOT a knock on Hawk or #Cookie, those two are FAMILY to me even off the forum that I love like brothers, to me it had simply come time to do something different to try and keep this beautiful event going on for years and years. We did that. #TeamRedemption did that. TH-freaking-P did that. I could not be more proud.

I'll get into the people on both sides, the fitting, the golf, the Hideaway, the competition, and all of that with subsequent posts but this one is just for the bigger picture. This event CHANGES you. Myself and Ddec (Dean) have seen some amazing things while we have been on THP, we have met people, been places, worked with equipment, all of that....but we both LITERALLY said the word "wow" aloud about 1,000 times each during this week in Cali. This is so so so so so much more than a competition, this is a revelation, a journey, and a destination for dreams to come true. Literally every single thing is thought of by both Callaway and The Hideaway, EVERYTHING including things you would have never considered. Better yet though, the joy that they get by bringing joy to all of us THP'ers is what makes it. Never in my life could I dream up something as amazing as #TheGrandaddy, never in my life could I completely and TRULY understand just what this event is until I experienced it. Its two entities (THP and Callaway), getting together, making a wild idea become a reality, and giving average people like you and me the chance to live out a dream.

The best thing I heard all week though, was that #TheGrandaddy was returning. It lives on. It will grow. It will evolve. It will improve (somehow). I can safely say that because of that, I feel like my personal mission was accomplished. Competition is a small fraction of what this is. I saw 11 others see that this year, and thank goodness now I get to watch another group see that.

May this event live on forever. It will FOREVER be the crown jewel. #TheEffingGrandaddyofemAll

I only know one way to do this, and thats to just put it all out there, for the sake of size, I'm going to do several entries over the next several days though...

Part 1 - #TheGrandaddy as a Whole

Man, where to begin? I really believe that the scope and breadth of this event cannot be put into words, and that is part of its brilliance. We as THP'ers, everyday average golfers, are essentially given the ultimate golden ticket to have Callaway throw back the curtain and make our wildest dreams become a reality in what I truly believe to be the greatest amateur golfing even anywhere. My ride in this one has been an interesting one, I remember like it was yesterday being on the edge of my seat in awe of the first group from start to finish of this event and getting a text from GG to immediately get on the forum and press record...only to see a video from Harry naming me the captain. JB mentioned it, and many here know, my wife and I were blessed with a wild little girl named Charlotte who decided to make her appearance what would have been a day or two before the event, it took a lot out of me to step aside for that, but knowing #Cookie would take my place made it easier. I won't mince words that the entire time I was rooting those guys on I was daydreaming of THIS year, fortunately it came true and I was given the ultimate second chance opportunity, the chance to lead #TeamRedepmtion, the chance to make a difference.

This chance meant and means WAY more to me than just being in #TheGrandaddy itself, my only mission coming in was doing everything I could to make damn sure it had the absolute BEST chance to come back for more and more to have the opportunity to experience it all. I've been on THP many many years and through MANY "big" events, with those the usual patterns always seemed to occur with teams and the forum, there was always a sort of dividing/separating line between them and it has always confused me (moreso having been a part, sadly, in those very things) because the events happen BECAUSE of the forum. So, for better or worse, I wanted things to be vastly different and to show that things can be done different, thats where the "Pillars" of #TheGrandaddy came from and why the emphasis was that it would ALL be on the forum, no chats, no text chains, no facebook groups, NO DRAMA. Its insanely hard to do things differently than they have been done before, particularly when some have been around and a part of that mentality/mindset, but dammit, my team took what I asked them to heart and trusted it. At times, I know it was hard, but when we all sat down at that table together in Cali the first night it all made sense and meshed seamlessly. We showed that it CAN be done without the behind the scenes stuff, that and emphasis on this place (THP) can keep people engaged through a year AND drive us as a team. I want it clear that this path was NOT a knock on Hawk or #Cookie, those two are FAMILY to me even off the forum that I love like brothers, to me it had simply come time to do something different to try and keep this beautiful event going on for years and years. We did that. #TeamRedemption did that. TH-freaking-P did that. I could not be more proud.

I'll get into the people on both sides, the fitting, the golf, the Hideaway, the competition, and all of that with subsequent posts but this one is just for the bigger picture. This event CHANGES you. Myself and Ddec (Dean) have seen some amazing things while we have been on THP, we have met people, been places, worked with equipment, all of that....but we both LITERALLY said the word "wow" aloud about 1,000 times each during this week in Cali. This is so so so so so much more than a competition, this is a revelation, a journey, and a destination for dreams to come true. Literally every single thing is thought of by both Callaway and The Hideaway, EVERYTHING including things you would have never considered. Better yet though, the joy that they get by bringing joy to all of us THP'ers is what makes it. Never in my life could I dream up something as amazing as #TheGrandaddy, never in my life could I completely and TRULY understand just what this event is until I experienced it. Its two entities (THP and Callaway), getting together, making a wild idea become a reality, and giving average people like you and me the chance to live out a dream.

The best thing I heard all week though, was that #TheGrandaddy was returning. It lives on. It will grow. It will evolve. It will improve (somehow). I can safely say that because of that, I feel like my personal mission was accomplished. Competition is a small fraction of what this is. I saw 11 others see that this year, and thank goodness now I get to watch another group see that.

May this event live on forever. It will FOREVER be the crown jewel. #TheEffingGrandaddyofemAll
And that post right there is why im proud as hell to call you my captain.

You know what is impossible not to smile at? The recap video.

Thanks for that, really brightened my day. Looking forward to everyone's recaps!

Awesome recap video!

Great video. Those views never get old

Love looking at this all day
be30e590a21b50e6df03de00c50515b6.jpg

Back