Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

Not sure if this has come up for anyone, but what tip diameter are these custom shafts? I'm looking to retip my raw finished one for TaylorMade.

Also, should we be concerned about getting the raw shaft wet, since it doesn't have any sort of coating on it? Will that foul the fiber in any way? Wondering because in case folks didn't know, it rains a lot in Washington haha.
I don't have that issue down here.... J/K

I'm enjoying reading through the feedback you guys have been posting. Even now it must feel a bit strange/cool that you rolled your own.

Too bad Chump Fries hasn't posted. :angel: I'm curious about the straight vs angle plys.

I'm enjoying reading through the feedback you guys have been posting. Even now it must feel a bit strange/cool that you rolled your own.

Too bad Chump Fries hasn't posted. :angel: I'm curious about the straight vs angle plys.
He's still embarrassed about stealing my ball TWICE on Torrey South #18. Classic Chump Fries!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've been crazy busy the past month and just haven't had a lot of chance to play (only twice with the painted shaft).

I really like the feel of my shaft, but it does have a really really stiff tip. When I'm fresh on he range and the first 4-8 holes of the day I'm really really good with it.

I'm the kind of golfer who fatigues quickly through the round so I struggle to get the ball up in the air as the day goes on.

I'll probably get fit for a new driver head with the custom shaft. I think something a bit higher launching would help me a lot.

Feel free to ask any curious questions about my shaft experience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been crazy busy the past month and just haven't had a lot of chance to play (only twice with the painted shaft).

I really like the feel of my shaft, but it does have a really really stiff tip. When I'm fresh on he range and the first 4-8 holes of the day I'm really really good with it.

I'm the kind of golfer who fatigues quickly through the round so I struggle to get the ball up in the air as the day goes on.

I'll probably get fit for a new driver head with the custom shaft. I think something a bit higher launching would help me a lot.

Feel free to ask any curious questions about my shaft experience :)

Tired? Golf? I hope you walk, son!!
If you are looking for a high launch head, check out Bridgestone J815 - I love the launch that I had with that club when I hit it!

I played this shaft earlier this week, and plan on playing again on Saturday. I guess my swing is either a) getting better or b) getting worse, but I have pretty much gotten rid of my big push right miss recently. I hope that continues with this shaft, as it was the common miss with this club and with the test shaft.

Tired? Golf? I hope you walk, son!!
If you are looking for a high launch head, check out Bridgestone J815 - I love the launch that I had with that club when I hit it!

I played this shaft earlier this week, and plan on playing again on Saturday. I guess my swing is either a) getting better or b) getting worse, but I have pretty much gotten rid of my big push right miss recently. I hope that continues with this shaft, as it was the common miss with this club and with the test shaft.

My hips get tired if that makes more sense. I'm really really not flexible so I have to really work at keeping my swing speed up. I'd guess I'm 5-10 mph slower at the end of the round with my driver.

I'll check out the Bridgestone when the time comes. I'm really interested to try something like a 10.5 GBB head.

Not sure if this has come up for anyone, but what tip diameter are these custom shafts? I'm looking to retip my raw finished one for TaylorMade.

Also, should we be concerned about getting the raw shaft wet, since it doesn't have any sort of coating on it? Will that foul the fiber in any way? Wondering because in case folks didn't know, it rains a lot in Washington haha.

Feel free to get your shaft wet as often as you like.

(help, Paul has stolen my keyboard).

We know it's really you Don. Paul would have adding light saber sound effects to his post.

We know it's really you Don. Paul would have adding light saber sound effects to his post.

I stood on the driving range at CC of Jackson this week waiting to give you an Amory staff bag and HZRDUS Yellow, but alas you never showed, so I gave it to the guy running the all you can eat KFC buffet.

I stood on the driving range at CC of Jackson this week waiting to give you an Amory staff bag and HZRDUS Yellow, but alas you never showed, so I gave it to the guy running the all you can eat KFC buffet.

Oh say it isn't so

To be fair, I'm sure it was some tasty chicken.

If you get to feeling generous, I'm sure I can call in some San Diego delivery. Ever had a cheesesteak from Giorginos?

The custom shaft is legit. When my 87 year old hips don't give out, we get along great. I really do hit the ball a mile wig it and the shaft unloading is super smooth when I put a really good swing on it.

I tried asking what it was like visiting Paul and it just shivered with bad memories. Although it spoke nicely of a massage from SkiBum.

If you get to feeling generous, I'm sure I can call in some San Diego delivery. Ever had a cheesesteak from Giorginos?

The custom shaft is legit. When my 87 year old hips don't give out, we get along great. I really do hit the ball a mile wig it and the shaft unloading is super smooth when I put a really good swing on it.

I tried asking what it was like visiting Paul and it just shivered with bad memories. Although it spoke nicely of a massage from SkiBum.

60461575.jpg

I hope it's therapy sessions don't interfere with your rounds.

Question What was the purpose of the straight layers on your shaft vs the angled layers the other guys went with?

I hope it's therapy sessions don't interfere with your rounds.

Question What was the purpose of the straight layers on your shaft vs the angled layers the other guys went with?

Don can probably answer better about the specific differences, but I'll try my best.

If you look at the flex profile (from the butt/mid/tip sections) of golf shafts (the curvy charts when you look at shaft manufacturer sites), there are two majors types: straight and curved.

Most of the Project X shaft have a curved taper. When talking to Don, it turns out that I prefer the feel of the straight taper shafts. For me it just comes down to feel. I just prefer the way the shaft loads and unloads with a straight taper shaft over a curved one. Don can probably explain if here are any other things it affects than feel.

I could never seem to get the right feel for the curved versions, but I love love love my custom straight one.

If you've seen me try to convince Don to send me a yellow HZRDUS shaft for my 3 wood, it's because that one is straight taper and most of their other stuff (HZRDUS, LZ, etc) is curved.

I'm so sad I never got my time with your shaft Chump Fries. The plans I had made. ......

So Don...when do you leave the Jackson/Memphis area? Both are within a two hour drive

Apologies Don. The economy hasn't quite recovered so I do what I can to earn a little extra income. For just the price of a cup of coffee a day (or your keyboard) the Marek children can eat for another week.

However I must confess that I find myself to be aroused and titillated by our nude prototype shafts.

Got out to the range today. Took about 15-20 swings with the driver. Swing was rusty having not playing in a little but was still seeing some great drives. All my misses were pushes out to the right. Good swings I'm seeing a nice mid trajectory that just goes straight. I can't ever remember liking the flight of a driver more than the BB 815 with this custom shaft. I'm probably done on the course for the year but will continue to get in range session and report back. Also will see about getting on a monitor a some point to get some numbers.

Played 9 with the shaft in the FlyZ head yesterday.
I had a nice fade working today - it was windy, one shot got away from me, but I absolutely bombed a few - two par 5's (530 yd and 495 yd), first drive ended up 225 yds from the flag, the next was 220 from the flag. Both were a little downwind, more of a cross L to R wind.
Still think dispersion with this club is really good - now, if I could only get my act together and play the appropriate amount of fade....

FIR was 5/7, only one shot ended up not being on grass.

Used the custom shaft in my Driver on 13 of 14 holes today. Hit the fairway on 11 of 13. Drove the ball very well. Really connecting with this shaft now. The higher launch is contributing to more carry wwhich is really needed with our drenched fairways.

Played 18 yesterday. An ok swing day. Had 1 hideous swing and 2 poor ones with the custom driver shaft. Used it on 13 of 14 non-par 3's. Hit 9 fairways and all of those were good swings with good result. Have really locked in the driver swing the last several rounds and just love how this shaft reacts to those good swings. The only thing that is going real well in my golf game right now.

Apologies Don. The economy hasn't quite recovered so I do what I can to earn a little extra income. For just the price of a cup of coffee a day (or your keyboard) the Marek children can eat for another week.

However I must confess that I find myself to be aroused and titillated by our nude prototype shafts.

Brother lonie is always on his game haha

Used the club on Saturday, 18 holes, no warm up.
Did not do very well, probably hit 2 fairways on the front, 4 on the back. Slice was in play, but first swing was a duck hook OB. Certainly no fault of the shaft.
Flight, even with the slice, was really nice - once the slice was straightened out a bit, I hit this club every bit of 260 yds carry (wet fairways, very little roll).
Have no complaints about the club at all.

I really want to have something new to come on here and post about my pretty blue shaft but haven't been able to play. Really hoping to get out next week during the holidays and play enough to have something report back with.

Maybe we need to have an SD trip Christmas party where we all get together to compare shaft progress

I really want to have something new to come on here and post about my pretty blue shaft but haven't been able to play. Really hoping to get out next week during the holidays and play enough to have something report back with.

Maybe we need to have an SD trip Christmas party where we all get together to compare shaft progress

:laughing:

I've lost weight since San Diego so mine should look bigger.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I will always be down to golf with you fellas. I'm STILL telling people about the trip.

I've been going to the range quite a bit and whatever struggles I've had with my 816 head, they have nothing to do with the Project X prototype. I have never had a shaft feel or perform better. The weight, kick point, the flex. Everything is just dialed in. Impact feels incredible and when I connect with the 816 it's a ball flight I've never seen before. I'm heading out for 18 Wednesday so hopefully I'll have some good feedback. Last time I played the same course I was hitting low running hooks but they remained playable and I shot 2 over on the front nine before quitting to pick up my rugrats.

Back