Flattening my backswing

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
I've been working with my coach (Aaron Olson) since last June, and my swing has really transformed for the better, but I'm fighting an issue going vertical that is getting quite frustrating. Basically, my left wrist is bowing at the top of my back swing, which is pushing the club vertical. I've been using the Tour Strike Educator doing the under/over drill really trying to the proper feel, and I was grinding away at it on the range last night and got kind of frustrated about it for the first time. So I started doing some Google-Fu trying to find some other drills to try, particularly one I could do anywhere and I found this one.

https://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/full-swing/wrist-cupped-flatten/

It seems simple enough, and if it helps me make the mental-physical connection then I'll be a happy camper. I just don't like feeling stuck, and I truly believe if I get over this little hump it will do wonders for my game. Has anyone else fought a similar swing flaw? If so, what did you do to correct it?

That's a big issue for me too, and I bring it more up than back so I come over the top. Thanks for the link!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i notice when i get quick on the take away i tend to snatch the club away and get steep leading to OTT. Usually I'll slow down which relaxes my tension, and brings me back to normal. During these times I usually also account for the tempo change by taking one more club until I'm comfortable over the ball again.

Michael Breed used to suggest shoving a credit card part way into your glove. When you bow your wrist you'll feel the credit push into your fore arm.

Also an issue for me I'm working hard on it and trying to keep my left arm straight on the back swing

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Michael Breed used to suggest shoving a credit card part way into your glove. When you bow your wrist you'll feel the credit push into your fore arm.

Bow or cup your wrist? Wouldn't the credit card only be useful for a cupped wrist?

The book drill is a good one as well as rolling the bowing the wrist like DJ or at least feeling it to the point of being flat. I Also believe getting some external rotation of the trail shoulder will help

Bow or cup your wrist? Wouldn't the credit card only be useful for a cupped wrist?

Maybe bowed. All I know is my back swing looks good until the slight bowing on the down swing.

My earlier comment was based on the link in the OP it's called cupping the left wrist.

Sounds like hicksta is letting the toe hang down towards the ground at the top. I used to do that all the time too.

can you post a pic? tough to offer suggestions without seeing what's actually going on.

Consult your swing coach. No reason to search for answers from people that are trying to fix their own stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Consult your swing coach. No reason to search for answers from people that are trying to fix their own stuff.

those are wise words. op's coach may be working through a process. maybe the backswing is an effect, and there is a different cause that the coach is working to fix.

Trying to flatten my swing as well, so can’t really help. But it has been a struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those are wise words. op's coach may be working through a process. maybe the backswing is an effect, and there is a different cause that the coach is working to fix.

I didn’t want to come off harsh.but there is a method to his coaches madness I’m sure. That being said if FK speaks its best to listen hahaha.

Oh trust me, this has been the primary issue we’ve been looking at! It has just been frustrating lately .

Oh trust me, this has been the primary issue we’ve been looking at! It has just been frustrating lately .
Have you tried The Hanger? I think it's intended to accomplish the same thing this drill is.

Have you tried The Hanger? I think it's intended to accomplish the same thing this drill is.

Yup, and E beat me to it. The TS Educator aims to correct the same faults.

He using the tour striker educator which is similar to the hangar and has several different drills associated with it.

:cool:

Great tips that will help. Thanks for the link!

Looking at video of my backswing, my shoulder turn seems too flat, my left shoulder (I'm RH) is not that much lower than my right on my turn. I would think this could cause me to reroute and come OTT... thoughts?

Not trying to hijack your thread Hicksta, just thought it might be related

An over the top move is generated by a lack of lower body on the down swing. If the down swing starts with the release of the hips and the shoulders move the club into the slot. An over the top will be non existent. Trying to get more uprightnor flatter will not stop an over the top move.

Josh you’ve worked super hard on your move and if an inside move is what you want vs what I’ve seen on IG, then we need to work on a lower body move. I’d ask you guys what his thoughts are on that. Personally, I think if you turn back with right shoulder and down with the left, allowing the arms to remain in front of your chest, you’ll get that move.

Man, I've got no cred to tell anybody how to improve a golf swing...but...I've been working on starting the downswing, with every full swing, with my lower body, specifically hips.

What I discovered was it has forced my hands to drop into the slot, and felt like my swing was flattening for longer clubs. (At least it feels that way to me) Ball striking, at least indoors (its still winter ) has improved significantly. Just to keep that thought, I've started taking one or two practice swings, almost like a baseball swing.

For whatever reason, I've had to move the ball back in my stance a little.

I'm not big on machines so can't talk modern golf stats, only how it feels to me (I know, feel isn't real) but if it keeps the ball in the short grass and reduces 2 or 3 strokes, It'll be real to me

Looking at video of my backswing, my shoulder turn seems too flat, my left shoulder (I'm RH) is not that much lower than my right on my turn. I would think this could cause me to reroute and come OTT... thoughts?

Not trying to hijack your thread Hicksta, just thought it might be related

Please post a video...but I bet Twinkies that you are standing up on the backswing. A case of Twinkies! LOL!

Coming in over the top has been absolutely killing me lately. Intellectually I know what I’m doing versus what I’m supposed to be doing. Physically I’m perfectly capable of executing a good golf shot. Mentally, I’m clearly not currently able to avoid doing it enough times during a round to post a good score lately.

I’m certainly no expert on good golf but I’m awfully qualified to speak on bad golf. I believe the root of an OTT swing is often tension. When you’re free of tension you can easily take the club back smoothly on a proper path, start your transition with the lower body, and make a nice athletic strike through the ball. When you allow tension to creep in at address for whatever reason then your lower body locks up, you’re hands squeeze the club tighter, you start the backswing with a snatch, and you will almost certainly chop down over it.

Easy to say, but how you identify the source of the tension and relieve yourself of it is something I’ve not come close to figuring out and until I do, the garbage scores will continue.

Coming in over the top has been absolutely killing me lately. Intellectually I know what I’m doing versus what I’m supposed to be doing. Physically I’m perfectly capable of executing a good golf shot. Mentally, I’m clearly not currently able to avoid doing it enough times during a round to post a good score lately.

I’m certainly no expert on good golf but I’m awfully qualified to speak on bad golf. I believe the root of an OTT swing is often tension. When you’re free of tension you can easily take the club back smoothly on a proper path, start your transition with the lower body, and make a nice athletic strike through the ball. When you allow tension to creep in at address for whatever reason then your lower body locks up, you’re hands squeeze the club tighter, you start the backswing with a snatch, and you will almost certainly chop down over it.

Easy to say, but how you identify the source of the tension and relieve yourself of it is something I’ve not come close to figuring out and until I do, the garbage scores will continue.

"awfully qualified to speak on bad golf"....I disagree. You absolutely pointed out the issues. Your brain knows what to do...but your brain won't let your body perform naturally which builds tension. If I asked you to skip a rock across water....would you tighten up and come over the top? Not a chance. You would turn back, then rotate your hips with your arm dropping downward and rotating around your body to release the rock naturally...skip...skip...skip.

I had a really great college swing coach force me to skip rocks across the 18th hole water hazard before every session. I have since fought getting inside-out on the downswing! I couldn't go OTT if I tried lol.

Back