RH putting w left eye dominant (or LH-RE) - does the putter matter?

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been reading around about right handed putting with left eye dominant (or reversed for lefties). I am strongly left eye dominant and, for example, play pool and do a few other things left handed. But I play golf right handed. I had never realized this can impact how I line up putts. But it makes a lot of sense. First, I don't think this is a handicap but there appear to be better or worse practices (and maybe even putters) for at least some of us.

There is a lot out there about stance, ball position, and getting the left eye above the ball. That makes sense and I am exploring some of those changes. But there is also a lot of confusing information about different putters and offset. Some recommend heel shafted blades with no offset. Others recommend a full plumbers neck (e.g. this is what Tiger uses). Even others suggest RH-LE or LH-RE golfers favor mallets with curved backs; we line up from the back where others line up from the front.

If you are one of the golfers with dominant eye opposite of how you play, do you find that specific putter characteristics help you better align putts?

I play golf RH and putt LH and am right eye dominat. I have used all types of putters at one time or another but have used a mallet exclusively the last 20+ years. It had nothing to do with eye dominance but it was something that suited my eye and I got better results with. While I think there could be something to all the factors you mention, but only if you allow them to be. Most of golf is mental and this is just something else to think about, imo.
I didn't really know I was right eye dominant until recently. That being said I'm not the best putter either.

I'm left handed and right eye dominant...I have to shoot gun's/bows right handed (cmon im in WV. we shoot critters)...I think it helps in putting, your dominant eye is over the ball...I prefer a mallet style used a ram zebra for years...just my 2 cents...

If you are one of the golfers with dominant eye opposite of how you play, do you find that specific putter characteristics help you better align putts?

It's all going to be personal so I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with it...but I'm right handed but left eye dominant, and I can't stand the look of double bend necks on putters. It might just be me being weird though, since I like plumbers necks and single bends. Basically for me, the less offset the better, and center/straight shafted putters line up pretty well for me.

I don't expect there to be a consistent putter type that works best here, but I am curious.

I have been testing several different putters (no offset blade, very slight offset mallet, offset high MOI) and so far I can't say I consistently line up putts better or worse with any of them. Now the other variable there is how aligned and square I keep the putter head at impact, but that's not something I can test myself, nor should that relate to dominant eye. However, moving the ball slightly forward and adjusting so that my left eye is just over or right of the ball does seem to help quite a bit.

I also think traditional answer style putters with a plumbers neck look "right" to me. But in all my quick tests I don't seem to putt well with that style. I find this odd because I really, really want to putt well with one of those.

That describes me.. As much as I want to play an Anser style it doesn't work. Mallet style works best for me. I use a Yes Sara which has a great aliment aid.
Im lf eye & rt dominant

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I putt with the gap between the ball and the putter in the center of my body. I don't think it's a big deal. Putting to me is largely a mental thing, there's so little physical or body movement involved.

The most common error I see in putting with my friends is that some of them are real handsy with their putts, which I guess is the yips. I think the putt should always be a shoulder pendulum, no matter how short the putt is.

I use an aiming line on the ball, and I pretend I'm drawing a straight line with the putter. Of course, I aim the line of the ball at the apex of the break.

I don't think the handedness and eye dominant thing affects putting. Sure, each guy will attack the problem differently, but the hand-eye thing is neither an advantage or disadvantage regardless of condition.

Find a technique where you're comfortable and consistent with, and keep on grooving that.

I don't expect there to be a consistent putter type that works best here, but I am curious.

I have been testing several different putters (no offset blade, very slight offset mallet, offset high MOI) and so far I can't say I consistently line up putts better or worse with any of them. Now the other variable there is how aligned and square I keep the putter head at impact, but that's not something I can test myself, nor should that relate to dominant eye. However, moving the ball slightly forward and adjusting so that my left eye is just over or right of the ball does seem to help quite a bit.

I also think traditional answer style putters with a plumbers neck look "right" to me. But in all my quick tests I don't seem to putt well with that style. I find this odd because I really, really want to putt well with one of those.

A video of your putt would be a big help.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I putt with the gap between the ball and the putter in the center of my body. I don't think it's a big deal. Putting to me is largely a mental thing, there's so little physical or body movement involved.

The most common error I see in putting with my friends is that some of them are real handsy with their putts, which I guess is the yips. I think the putt should always be a shoulder pendulum, no matter how short the putt is.

I use an aiming line on the ball, and I pretend I'm drawing a straight line with the putter. Of course, I aim the line of the ball at the apex of the break.

I don't think the handedness and eye dominant thing affects putting. Sure, each guy will attack the problem differently, but the hand-eye thing is neither an advantage or disadvantage regardless of condition.

Find a technique where you're comfortable and consistent with, and keep on grooving that.

I really disagree with this, however you are talking about two different things here. The putting stroke and line.
FWIW, I also dont think that putting is largely mental. It certainly can be, just like the golf swing, but less movement does not take the physical endeavor out. Everything plays a role from tension to stroke. Then add in the fact that the entire thing has to be a thousand times more precise than the golf swing (smaller target) and its definitely not just a mental task.

Here is a perfect example about tension and why it is so important and sadly overlooked.

Man our old intro was bad

Here is another one on technique with Pat O'Brien

I also view eye dominance and even moreso alignment as the biggest piece of making more putts out there. Everything else can be right, but if you are aligned wrong, you will never make the putt. One major piece of the cog and one of the reasons that a putter like the new 2135 can be so helpful, because no matter where your eyes are in relation to the ball, you know you can be lined up perfectly.

Last edited:
Two great videos that really tell the story. But yeah JB the video quality has come a loooong way.

A video of your putt would be a big help.

Will get back to you on that as soon as I can get a video.

I also don't understand why eye dominance, at least while I'm addressing the ball, is a big deal. Both of my eyes are along the same line, the putting line. While aiming the ball to the hole, sure, there may be an effect, but when I'm about to putt at address my left and right eyes are all along the putting line.

Last edited:
I really disagree with this, however you are talking about two different things here. The putting stroke and line.
FWIW, I also dont think that putting is largely mental. It certainly can be, just like the golf swing, but less movement does not take the physical endeavor out. Everything plays a role from tension to stroke. Then add in the fact that the entire thing has to be a thousand times more precise than the golf swing (smaller target) and its definitely not just a mental task.

Here is a perfect example about tension and why it is so important and sadly overlooked.

Man our old intro was bad

Here is another one on technique with Pat O'Brien

I also view eye dominance and even moreso alignment as the biggest piece of making more putts out there. Everything else can be right, but if you are aligned wrong, you will never make the putt. One major piece of the cog and one of the reasons that a putter like the new 2135 can be so helpful, because no matter where your eyes are in relation to the ball, you know you can be lined up perfectly.

I am merely illustrating a method that works for me. Everyone else has different methods. I have a buddy who sets up with a forward press, another one has one foot slightly forward the other. Alignment is always important, but everyone has to find a method that they're comfortable with in putting. There are about 3 or 4 standard grips for the full swing, but how many are there in putting - 12? Has anyone counted?

I'm going to agree here. Up until about a month ago I had never given eye dominance a thought. I went to the shooting range to shoot my pistol and as usual was missing the target on a consistent miss. My buddy asked me about eye dominance, turns out I am right handed, left eye dominant. I switched to closing my right eye and aiming with the left and immediately had better results.

I went and tried out the 2135 and had great results with it. It may have been the normal honeymoon phase in the store but I really am wondering if that new alignment system is going to be a key for me. My putting was horrible this year and I'm looking forward to seeing results with the Cleveland.

Having only one eye I know about the alignment part really well. I fight getting closed to the line all the time and its the one thing I work on in putting the most. It comes to the same thing as getting stuck in the full stroke and you have to manipulate the club path to get back to the ball when it happens. I guess watching my shoulder line will help with this as you can't get opened or closed without changing that.

As for the second video - it explained something Harvey Penick said in the little red book without explanation that I have been looking for the answer to since I read it. He said to never carry your putter in your right hand if you putt right handed. Golfer Girls original hand position shows why. If you carry with the right hand you grip with the right hand first too.

Why not try to address the putt and have one eye closed and then the other? Whichever method makes you hole more putts, that's the keeper.

Over the winter I spent a lot of time indoors trying to sort this out. I came to the conclusion that my eye dominance doesn't matter. I played around with the 4 putters I have and worked on how I grip the club, my overall setup, and stroke. I did all sorts of eye closed, where I position and look at ball, and related experiments with how I line up putts. With the "strong arc" Ping Shea H, I consistently miss to the right. With my old Ping H-Blade and the Cure RX-1, I am much better at hitting my target. I have a more SBST stroke, and that makes sense. the RX-1 gives me the most consistent roll. With the old H-Blade, I do the best job of visually lining up putts. My TM Rosa Imola 8 was so disliked it didn't even last the testing. I think my overall putting changes are the key, and certain putter head shapes suit my eyes better. All in all a boring outcome but helpful learning experience.

Now I am going to shop for a new putter and see if anything can beat out the old Ping, the putter I used as a kid in the 1970s!

4-putters.jpg

Over the winter I spent a lot of time indoors trying to sort this out. I came to the conclusion that my eye dominance doesn't matter. I played around with the 4 putters I have and worked on how I grip the club, my overall setup, and stroke. I did all sorts of eye closed, where I position and look at ball, and related experiments with how I line up putts. With the "strong arc" Ping Shea H, I consistently miss to the right. With my old Ping H-Blade and the Cure RX-1, I am much better at hitting my target. I have a more SBST stroke, and that makes sense. the RX-1 gives me the most consistent roll. With the old H-Blade, I do the best job of visually lining up putts. My TM Rosa Imola 8 was so disliked it didn't even last the testing. I think my overall putting changes are the key, and certain putter head shapes suit my eyes better. All in all a boring outcome but helpful learning experience.

Now I am going to shop for a new putter and see if anything can beat out the old Ping, the putter I used as a kid in the 1970s!

4-putters.jpg

Well, yeah. I really didn't understand what eye dominance had to do with putting unless we putted with one eye and hand only.

Good luck to your search for a better putter.

In retrospect the only thing it had to do with my putting was brain damage from reading somewhere that it mattered. I did the same thing with a pitching tip I read over the winter. If I quit reading I will be better off! Haha.

I'm left eye dominant and play right handed. I don't really thinks it makes a difference but I had teacher tell me that because of my dominant eye , I needed a face balanced putter and straight back straight thru stroke but I never really saw an improvement in my putting. I'm a streaky putter and have just learned to live with it.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I always had trouble lining up my putts until about 4 years ago when I learned that I was left eye dominant. I started putting with my right eye closed and it made a huge difference. I did this for two seasons with great results.

Now the crazy part. I noticed after two years that I no longer needed to putt with my right eye closed. In fact I didn't even notice that I was no longer putting with my right eye closed. It's almost as if my brain reacted to those two years of putting with my right eye closed and just learned to take my right eye vision out of the equation. I can't explain it as I am certainly not knowledgable enough about the brain and neurons and how all that works. I'm just making an educated guess. I'll catch myself closing my right eye still sometimes just out of habit I guess. I do like to keep it closed when I practice putting though still.

I can't speak to whether certain putters matter depending on eye dominance though. I still just putt with what feels comfortable to me.

Im right handed and left eye dominant and I dont think that it really matters. You can get caught up in all the angles and alignment mumbo jumbo if you really want but IMO where people really get messed up is when they view the hole as their target, instead of settling on an intermediate target and then letting the slope of the green make the ball do what it wants. If you see the hole as your target, youre going to turn your head to look at the hole and its going to mess you up. Instead, you should figure the line an then pick a target about a foot in front of your ball. That is your target.
IMO, especially in putting, people make it A LOT more complicated than it needs to be.

Im right handed and left eye dominant and I dont think that it really matters. You can get caught up in all the angles and alignment mumbo jumbo if you really want but IMO where people really get messed up is when they view the hole as their target, instead of settling on an intermediate target and then letting the slope of the green make the ball do what it wants. If you see the hole as your target, youre going to turn your head to look at the hole and its going to mess you up. Instead, you should figure the line an then pick a target about a foot in front of your ball. That is your target.
IMO, especially in putting, people make it A LOT more complicated than it needs to be.

I agree. The simpler one thinks about putting, the easier it gets.

See ball. Find line. Putt straight with correct speed. Done.

I've been reading around about right handed putting with left eye dominant (or reversed for lefties). I am strongly left eye dominant and, for example, play pool and do a few other things left handed. But I play golf right handed. I had never realized this can impact how I line up putts. But it makes a lot of sense. First, I don't think this is a handicap but there appear to be better or worse practices (and maybe even putters) for at least some of us.

There is a lot out there about stance, ball position, and getting the left eye above the ball. That makes sense and I am exploring some of those changes. But there is also a lot of confusing information about different putters and offset. Some recommend heel shafted blades with no offset. Others recommend a full plumbers neck (e.g. this is what Tiger uses). Even others suggest RH-LE or LH-RE golfers favor mallets with curved backs; we line up from the back where others line up from the front.

I’m left handed and left eye dominant but play right handed. Here is something I do that I’ve never seen mentioned before. I read the green, set up with the ball in the middle of my stance and aim the club face on my intended line. Once I’m lined up, I move my eye to spot about an inch or so in front of the ball. That would put my left (dominant) eye right over that spot. I make my stroke looking at that spot, not the ball. This tends to make me make a good complete stroke through the ball and also as the ball leaves the club face while I’m looking in front of the ball it keeps me from peeking. It’s just a way I figured out by trial and error but it works for me as well as anything. I’ve used it with different types of putters and works equally well with them all. I think how a putter looks to your eye and feels in your hand is more important that the type. I do think it’s very important that a grip is comfortable in your hand and should just naturally fit into your type of hand. Just my crazy 2 cents worth.

Back