Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Interesting how different people people feel about their misses. The thing I like the most about the dbd is that when I miss I get the knuckles that goes 240 to 250 but stays in play rather than the ball that carries far but offline. For ex. I had a m1 460 in play today and I had a couple bad swings that went 280ish but ob. With the dbd I think those would have had better chance at staying in play
Long and wrong isn't good at my home course. I'm not saying my misses with the DBD are long. Just that it's such a low spinning head, for me, that a little extra spin on misses eeck everything out of a bad swing.

Sorry I didn't get to your question early TB! I think with the skill you portray, the DBD will be an excellent offering for you. That said, I'm a bit shocked that you are gaming the Ad Di6x with spin issues. I tried that shaft along with a couple others in that profile and found the tip section to be too soft to manage spin.

Rather, I'd encourage you take a look at stiffer tip profiles.. The Miyazaki Kusala Black (amazing), the Oban Devotion 7, and even the RIP i/o tipped Rogue. I like it because it shares a similar tip profile from the RIP which was stupid stout. It keeps the spin down by design without the cost of reasonable loading.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that the AD Di6x I have has been tip trimmed but I bought it used so I don't know how much. That could certainly change how the shaft reacts. I have the Miyazaki Kusala Black in a Cleveland Classic and an Adams driver and it's a low spinner for me but it's not nearly as stable for me as the Aldila Tour Green. 80% of my rounds the last 8 years have been played with an Aldila NV x, Speeder 757x, or Tour Green x in my driver so I'm partial to a more boardy flex profile.

I have not hit the Rogue I/O with the 816 DBD but I have a feeling that it may be the perfect shaft/head combo for me as I love the Tour Green that has an almost identical flex profile. The sensible thing for me to do is order a 816 DBD with one and see how it goes! I have a Callaway VIP discount through a buddy that brings the delivered price on the 816 DBD to $378 so it would be easy to sell and break even if I don't like it.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that the AD Di6x I have has been tip trimmed but I bought it used so I don't know how much. That could certainly change how the shaft reacts. I have the Miyazaki Kusala Black in a Cleveland Classic and an Adams driver and it's a low spinner for me but it's not nearly as stable for me as the Aldila Tour Green. 80% of my rounds the last 8 years have been played with an Aldila NV x, Speeder 757x, or Tour Green x in my driver so I'm partial to a more boardy flex profile.

I have not hit the Rogue I/O with the 816 DBD but I have a feeling that it may be the perfect shaft/head combo for me as I love the Tour Green that has an almost identical flex profile. The sensible thing for me to do is order a 816 DBD with one and see how it goes! I have a Callaway VIP discount through a buddy that brings the delivered price on the 816 DBD to $378 so it would be easy to sell and break even if I don't like it.

I understand the stability issues with Kusala Black. Suuper super smooth because of the softer top half. Maybe the Kusala Indigo would be better from that lineup.

Either way, the I/O is really cool. Maybe even something in the HZRDUS design also. Lots of good info on each if you search it out.

I'd highly recommend trying the Rouge I/O if possible. I have both the tour green and Rouge I/O 60 in x for the GBB, and the Rouge I/O is noticeably stiffer in the tip. I prefer the Rouge I/O and find the feel of it loading, mixed with the spin control to be pretty incredible. Obviously everyone is different, but based on what you said you already have and use with success, it's definitely a great option to look into.

Today's improvement to 816 dbd is to remove the 55 gram grip and install a 43g grip with two wraps with a reminder. A saving of 12g. This will increase trajectory, swing speed, as my shaft is 78g Rogue x i/o.
SW went up, it feels more head heavy from the lighter grip. I will see if I can get it around with this balance or peal off a small strip of lead tape from the pear.
Overall I have removed the ferrule, now a lighter grip, and pulled the shaft back out of the tip approx 3/8 to get more distance, still while I play the 78g shaft for good control. I am prob down 13-14g overall. This should get faster SS
------------------------------

Today launch was up more, and drives were 7-10y longer, but right FW, almost a push, I think its head lag or the additional SW. I did peal off my lead tape and apply it 1/2 inch more heal side on the rear pear, then kept the face a tad more square, and I was driving center again
Its been a huge change from day 1 stock. I was playing with player who had a G25 9.5 pwr65 stiff, he was 6'2" and hitting harder with more swing speed...I out drove him 10y...some 20y, when it came to irons he was one club less rocketbaldze stiff steel. Speaks for this driver!

Last edited:
816 dbd 10.5 N+1 / Rogue 70x i/o 46.
Here is my best and worst collection on the LM. I deleted 5-7 other shots that were ok in the mid 280yrds just to give a real analysis of good & bad shots (2) thin shots (2), miss hits, and a high tee / more AoA (last shot). Most were drawing little too much, were on course I hit quite a few almost straight. I think the first shot is a fair assessment.
I am low ball hitter who plays the ball 2 balls back of inside left heal...getting old and inflexible at 48y...if I play it any more fwd it gets hooky.
Also I am coming to the realization that my shaft is a hair too stiff/heavy for me, by my miss hit data, however my on course dispersion is good/Fw.
Like the 815 the club delivers on the screws. I will say the LM did not read 1/2 of my balls going off (crappy worn Srixons) and it frustrated me. Some of the miss read shots I know I pured full power and center with some shaft kicking, unfortunately they are not here. I was in a rush to deliver some club repairs after and only had no time to warm up. Actually it was tee n go sloppy aggressive ballstriking
Also while I was there I did Geeze at some King MB blades...Hmmm
002_zps5gkguxl2.jpg

I may look at a Fujikura Pro or 661 Evo, and drop shaft weight 8-12 grams, same set up, just bit more head weight to get same SW...this should swing faster with more bang.

Last edited:
Just absolutely smashing this driver all weekend. Crazy carry numbers, and a TON of fairways.

It'll be back in the bag for a while. I maintain the opinion that it's not the most forgiving out there, but the ball speed that I saw during my testing, and the numbers I am getting when swinging well, are very hard to compete with. I've got it set up with the Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type 60x and am hitting mid launch bombs.

I went to GG this weekend to do the GBB challenge, not expecting any noticeable gains over my 815 DBD. I was right, no big gains. The Callaway rep was there and brought out his personal 816DBD with the Rogue 70 for me to try. My 815 has the Rogue 60 and I really like it. That said, I really, really liked the 816 with the heavier shaft. The feel was great. Distance gain and dispersion was similar, maybe 5 yards longer. It wasn't so good that I bought it but I was seriously tempted.

Had this head to head with the GBB over the weekend. I was shocked at how legit the adjustability was and how much the adjustments helped my numbers. I would not be surprised at all if I end up with this driver in the bag. Obviously having a fitter there with all the shaft options will make the decision for me, but I was very impressed with the DBD

This club continues to be in my bag. I've strayed a few times and keep coming back to it. On the screws it provides me incredible distance. When missed it gives me a knuckler that gives limited carry but stays in play. That works for me very well

I have found my misses are playable also, especially my over draws. The pushes are not that bad either.
I always seem to have a shot at the green out off the FW. My misses are down a bit but still FW. Nutted and its looong.
I think its the lower spin on bad shots/miss hits not going O/B like the 815dbd

As much as I been pounding this club with px lz50 handcrafted 7.0, I wanted to get some numbers. 8 am launching this 9° head pretty high. I've not seen anything that is too high IMO though
44cf27bacb922b9eda68eaa00d855045.jpg
bde8c4b305f0f2b8ca7d21bf38ba2f08.jpg

Pretty good average with one hook in there

This club continues to be in my bag. I've strayed a few times and keep coming back to it. On the screws it provides me incredible distance. When missed it gives me a knuckler that gives limited carry but stays in play. That works for me very well

I LOVE this driver, but the miss you describe vs the GBB miss is where I can't logically pick it. The GBB when missed is still a majority of the usual distance and fairly online as well. The DBD looks better (IMO) and is an absolute rocket launcher on the screws, but I just don't hit my driver centered enough often enough to get the right results. I wish I did though, because I would have picked this one over the GBB for sure. I love being able to flip the core onto the heel side to help my miss.

As much as I been pounding this club with px lz50 handcrafted 7.0, I wanted to get some numbers. 8 am launching this 9° head pretty high. I've not seen anything that is too high IMO though
44cf27bacb922b9eda68eaa00d855045.jpg
bde8c4b305f0f2b8ca7d21bf38ba2f08.jpg

Pretty good average with one hook in there

dat launch angle! you and i have similar ss, but i launch about 3-4* lower than you, so your carry is about 50 yards farther! #physics

I can feel this getting closer to the bag everyday, bidding on one now.

I LOVE this driver, but the miss you describe vs the GBB miss is where I can't logically pick it. The GBB when missed is still a majority of the usual distance and fairly online as well. The DBD looks better (IMO) and is an absolute rocket launcher on the screws, but I just don't hit my driver centered enough often enough to get the right results. I wish I did though, because I would have picked this one over the GBB for sure. I love being able to flip the core onto the heel side to help my miss.
It's not that penal. Definitely not as forgiving as gbb but light years more forgiving than 815 dbd. See my comment below
dat launch angle! you and i have similar ss, but i launch about 3-4* lower than you, so your carry is about 50 yards farther! #physics
I'm not sure about the swing speed. I've registered 110 to 112 at PGA superstore and at annika Academy. Gc2 without the HMT does not actually measure swing speed IIRC. I believe it uses a set smash factor to calculate off the ball speed. I really hit everywhere on the face on this thing and results were good. Shows that this club is not overly penal IMO

Haha I just noticed how close I am to the fabled 17/1700 hahaha

I can feel this getting closer to the bag everyday, bidding on one now.
Just don't be bidding on the one I am!

I have been hitting the LTD so well I kind of put this one in mothballs. Maybe it's time to break it out and see how it works now that I am driving a bit better.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Oh man, I though I loved the LTD and it was the only girl I needed in my life....

And? Go on

I need to get on a monitor to see whats going on, but I was having a lot of luck hitting the ball higher with the 10.5 loft with some swing tweaks so the forgiveness I needed with the LTD isnt as needed and I believe I saw better carry numbers with my 816/Handcrafted combo.

Back