Would changing to a lighter grip help feel the club head more in my swing?

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
Is going to Golf Pride (25g) or Winn (22g) light grips be too extreme?

Are there any grips in the 30-40 range?

Thanks for any input.

Is going to Golf Pride (25g) or Winn (22g) light grips be too extreme?

Are there any grips in the 30-40 range?

Thanks for any input.

It would definitely increase the swing weight, but that has different effects on different people. If you like your current grips, you could always find some lead tape and use that on the club head to see if you could increase the headweight to try to feel it more in the swing. If you want to change grips, I would test it on one club first before making the switch in all of your clubs.

A lighter grip will increase the swingweight of the club so you would be able to feel the clubhead more. Every 5gr of weight in the grip changes the swingweight by 1 point.

I lighter grip will increase the swingweight of the club so you would be able to feel the clubhead more. Every 5gr of weight in the grip changes the swingweight by 1 point.

I picked up some Mizuno JPX EZ forged, and they have replaced my XR pros for now, but i still love my XR but i sometimes loose the head in my swing. The Mizuno have a nice feel and i don't loose the club head, so i would like to maybe replace my R.E.L. ACE on my XRs to something lighter.

I picked up some Mizuno JPX EZ forged, and they have replaced my XR pros for now, but i still love my XR but i sometimes loose the head in my swing. The Mizuno have a nice feel and i don't loose the club head, so i would like to maybe replace my R.E.L. ACE on my XRs to something lighter.

You can also try some lead tape to the clubhead first too. Every 2gm of weight added to the club head will increase the swingweight by 1 point.

Have you checked the swing weight on both sets first?

It would definitely increase the swing weight, but that has different effects on different people. If you like your current grips, you could always find some lead tape and use that on the club head to see if you could increase the headweight to try to feel it more in the swing. If you want to change grips, I would test it on one club first before making the switch in all of your clubs.

Less weight in the grip will increase swingweight, but will not affect flex at all.

More weight in the head will increase swingweight, but will also make the flex softer.

Have you checked the swing weight on both sets first?

No going to get all spec checked here in the next week or so.

Less weight in the grip will increase swingweight, but will not affect flex at all.

More weight in the head will increase swingweight, but will also make the flex softer.

Thanks for sharing that info.

No going to get all spec checked here in the next week or so.

Sometimes swing weight isn’t the issue. They could swing weight the same but feel different to you because of shaft weight, total weight, profile, or even torque.

Feel the head through the swing and your good. Swing weight or whatever YOU feel will be different from the next. Find whatever gets you that feeling and go from there. Yanking on the handle to get to the ball will intice all kinds of bandaids. Relax and let it happen...02

Changing the head side of a club will always alter "feel" much more than on grip side. Even though a SW scale will say 5g grip is 1 SW change, changing 2g head side will feel much more significant.

Swing weight is just a number given to a balance point at one side or another of a 14" fulcrum. Since your hands go over the grip area it kind of masks the SW change on that side since, well, you're swinging the head around, not the grip. I know that's a bad explanation, but I've used enough lead tape and counterweights in my life to know head side is more noticable and extreme changes to grip side doesn't change feel as much as it changes the SW measurement.

4-5g at the grip is equivalent to 2g at the head. At least that’s what google tells me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lets say your at D2 now, too light of a grip for a hitter can get you stuck...likewise if your a smooth swinger looking for a bit more feel drop the grip weight 5g, to say a 45g grip. Try the shorter irons first. FWIW: my SW vary from D1.5 3i, to D3 pw

Back