Black Widow Negative Bounce Wedge

Achilles515

Reaction score
Handicap
I know I'm gonna catch some flack for this club but I don't care. I was looking for a wedge with a really low bounce just because of where I live, very dry with lots of tight lies. I came across this and said what the hell. I got the head new for $15. If you can get past the grooves, this club is a diamond in the rough. You can open it way up and not change your swing or anything. You have to have a consistent swing because you'll be digging with the lead edge if you don't. I love it for around the green.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 37
That's crazy looking....but you should always play what works and not give a damn what anyone else thinks.

Most definitely. I would suggest it for a player who struggles with short lobs, struggles with their 20-30 yard game etc. Or for someone like me who likes to be very aggressive around the green and attack the pin.

Is that USGA legal?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. From what I've been told, it is legal. There are rules about grooves obviously but nothing about the direction of the grooves lines.

Most definitely. I would suggest it for a player who struggles with short lobs, struggles with their 20-30 yard game etc. Or for someone like me who likes to be very aggressive around the green and attack the pin.

that's an interesting comment. what about the design do you feel would help someone who struggles with these shots?

Getting it high in athe air is effortless. Most wedges have a 8-12 bounce so to hit a flop shot or a 20 yard lob you have to open face and have the swing for it. I would even go out on a limb and say the flop shot is the hardest shot in golf. You can open the face on this thing and swing away. The 0 bounce is allows this. But again, you have to get used to it because it's easy to start digging trenches.

I don’t even know what bounce is, and have no idea whether or not this club would make sense for me. I am a sucker for an oddball, though. I’m intrigued.

Bounce is how the club comes off the ground. If you look at the back of your club head where the back meets the leading edge, that hump is the bounce. Vokey wedges explain it the best, Vokeys will say 54 * 08 or 54 * 12. The first number is the degree, the 2nd number is the bounce. I'm sure Google can articulate it far better than I can lol. I look at it as the lower the bounce the thinner the sole.

That's crazy looking....but you should always play what works and not give a damn what anyone else thinks.

Well said!!!

I don’t even know what bounce is, and have no idea whether or not this club would make sense for me. I am a sucker for an oddball, though. I’m intrigued.
The bounce is the angle from the leading edge to where the wedge sits on the ground. Think of a snow shovel vs a dirt shovel.

The snow shovel will have a higher bounce and will typically need to be leaned forward to get the leading edge under the snow/ball. However, if you dont lean it forward enough, you'll go right over the snow/blade the ball.

A dirt shovel on the other hand will have much less bounce and can come in with a lower handle to pick up the dirt. It is much easier to dig this into the ground if coming in too steep.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

The bounce is the angle from the leading edge to where the wedge sits on the ground. Think of a snow shovel vs a dirt shovel.

The snow shovel will have a higher bounce and will typically need to be leaned forward to get the leading edge under the snow/ball. However, if you dont lean it forward enough, you'll go right over the snow/blade the ball.

A dirt shovel on the other hand will have much less bounce and can come in with a lower handle to pick up the dirt. It is much easier to dig this into the ground if coming in too steep.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Love the snow shovel vs dirt shovel analogy. Never heard that one before but you are spot on. The guys down south won't get it, at least not the transplants,"what's a snow shovel?"

I was given one of these this week and I love it. Now I need to find out if its actually legal. I have a spot for it in the bag as well and this definitely can save you when you short side yourself. I found it very easy to use and they land like a dead fish.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wild looking.

tried it out like 25 years ago...hated it...

Can you perform a full swing with it? That looks like it would dig hard!

Looks like a spatula

Back