Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife wants a tablet for Christmas. Looking at the black Friday deals trying to decide between and iPad Air 2 ($499 with $150 gift card at Target), older model iPad Air ($399 with $100 gc at Target) or Galaxy Tab 9.7" ($229 with $30 gc at Target). (Mostly leaning Target because I can get 5% redcard plus 5% pharmacy rewards on top and already plan to be there for an Xbox One...)

She wants to be able to read Kindle books on it (via the app, no big deal) for her MBA starting next year. I already have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9". We are very mixed in phones (iPhones) and computers (Mac and PC), have Chromecast, Roku, etc. so I'm not concerned about staying "in family" so much as a good deal and quality product.

I know I can get a good recommendation from someone here. :)

My wife wants a tablet for Christmas. Looking at the black Friday deals trying to decide between and iPad Air 2 ($499 with $150 gift card at Target), older model iPad Air ($399 with $100 gc at Target) or Galaxy Tab 9.7" ($229 with $30 gc at Target). (Mostly leaning Target because I can get 5% redcard plus 5% pharmacy rewards on top and already plan to be there for an Xbox One...)

She wants to be able to read Kindle books on it (via the app, no big deal) for her MBA starting next year.
FWIW, if reading and light duty stuff is the norm, I'd go with the Tab. My 78 year old MIL has one and handles it well, enjoys it (reading her 'verses'), listens to some music on occasion, too.
I'm surprised she does so well on it. Of course, I'm the IT guy if something goes wrong, and I always enjoy getting my hands on it, it's nice.

Costco has a Samsung 65" 4K LED tv for 1199.00 and I pondering hard at that price.

Costco has a Samsung 65" 4K LED tv for 1199.00 and I pondering hard at that price.
I'm eyeing the hell out of the Vizio one at Sam's for 900.

I'm eyeing the hell out of the Vizio one at Sam's for 900.

I was looking at some 4K TV's (not real seriously, just pondering) but in the end went with a regular one, 70" for under $900. In the end I decided that 4K was overkill. Plus I was cheap.

Maybe they'll be running a Black Friday special on it or is that the reduced price ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Friday deal. Runs through the 30th.

I'd highly suggest watching 4k TVs outside the store and watch all types of shows. After seeing my buddy's, I got my dad the 60" Samsung 1080p from Costco for $670. 4k TVs look like garbage on sports from everything I watched. Also, 8k TVs will be out really soon and almost all companies are waiting for that

I'd highly suggest watching 4k TVs outside the store and watch all types of shows. After seeing my buddy's, I got my dad the 60" Samsung 1080p from Costco for $670. 4k TVs look like garbage on sports from everything I watched. Also, 8k TVs will be out really soon and almost all companies are waiting for that

Very little 4k content yet especially for people like me that don't watch movies at home and watch very little TV other than sports. The 4K Tv's vary in quality but their picture quality should be equal to a 1080p. With directv, my 4K Samsung is comparable to my 1080p LED Vizio. With sports or Bluray neither one can match the picture quality of my Panasonic 65" V series but they don't make those anymore. Someday we will have 4K content for sports and that will be a very good thing.

Very little 4k content yet especially for people like me that don't watch movies at home and watch very little TV other than sports. The 4K Tv's vary in quality but their picture quality should be equal to a 1080p. With directv, my 4K Samsung is comparable to my 1080p LED Vizio. With sports or Bluray neither one can match the picture quality of my Panasonic 65" V series but they don't make those anymore. Someday we will have 4K content for sports and that will be a very good thing.

Lots of good reviews out there on all of them. I wonder if we'll ever see 4k content be the norm. Most production companies are waiting for 8k from what I can find. Kind of the whole HD DVD vs Blu-Ray. Companies that waited it out, ended up with the better technolgy

Lots of good reviews out there on all of them. I wonder if we'll ever see 4k content be the norm. Most production companies are waiting for 8k from what I can find. Kind of the whole HD DVD vs Blu-Ray. Companies that waited it out, ended up with the better technolgy

And 16k will be next, lol. I sold audio and video equipment for a decade when I first graduated from college and the industry is always changing. Widespread 4K would be great for sports but first they have to replace all the TV cameras and also figure out the lack of bandwidth problem on the satellites.

And 16k will be next, lol. I sold audio and video equipment for a decade when I first graduated from college and the industry is always changing. Widespread 4K would be great for sports but first they have to replace all the TV cameras and also figure out the lack of bandwidth problem on the satellites.

I haven't seen anything on 16k lol. We all know it will constantly change but I'd rather have a technology that is guaranteed for a while compared to a technology that may never be adopted in the first place

I haven't seen anything on 16k lol. We all know it will constantly change but I'd rather have a technology that is guaranteed for a while compared to a technology that may never be adopted in the first place

Heard an interview recently and they were talking about 4K costs coming down and one of the people talking was Charlie from Dish network and he said he expected them to move past it before 4K was even out on mainstream.

Heard an interview recently and they were talking about 4K costs coming down and one of the people talking was Charlie from Dish network and he said he expected them to move past it before 4K was even out on mainstream.

Samsung is shoving 4k down people's throats right now because they know the tech isn't going to stay around.

I read an article recently that was talking about how the first gen of 4k TVs won't be able to play actual 4k content because something changed in the streaming or something? I'll have to try and find it again

Electronics Pondering

Very interesting. Cuban has been right on most of this stuff including his early thoughts on bluray, which he nailed as a hold over technology until demand streaming was available.

He has said that he is not sure 4K content will be available in messes before they jump technology.

Here's a GREAT read about why 4k isn't the future...

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Yeah, I have read that in the past. What I will say however is for what they are going out for now, I wouldnt purposely shy away as you are getting a fantastic television and you never know what the future holds. Unlike a couple of decades ago, TVs are now virtually a disposable item, which is sad kind of, but it does keep technology pushed to the maximum.

Yeah, I have read that in the past. What I will say however is for what they are going out for now, I wouldnt purposely shy away as you are getting a fantastic television and you never know what the future holds. Unlike a couple of decades ago, TVs are now virtually a disposable item, which is sad kind of, but it does keep technology pushed to the maximum.

I'm still a major fan of plasma and they stopped making them. From a pure picture stand point, plasma is still my favorite

This is why I went ahead and bought the 4k tv I did from Vizio. I could of saved money by not getting the 4k, but for the price was willing to take the chance. In my circumstance I don't change this type of thing a lot so I have time to wait it out.

I'm still a major fan of plasma and they stopped making them. From a pure picture stand point, plasma is still my favorite[/QUOTE

A high end plasma still is the gold standard for picture quality and especially for black levels and watching sports. My 4 year old Panasonic 65 V series blows away my newer top of the line Samsungs. I bought mine back in early 2012 For $2,300 and now if you can find one the going price is about $3,000-$4,000.

Ok guys help. I need a small phone with wireless charging capability. I don't need a ton of stuff as all I do is talk and stream music otherwise.

My iPhone 5S mic took a dump and no one can hear me talking anymore. The more durable the better. Anyone know anything about the new Droid with the "indestructable" screen?

Ok guys help. I need a small phone with wireless charging capability. I don't need a ton of stuff as all I do is talk and stream music otherwise.

My iPhone 5S mic took a dump and no one can hear me talking anymore. The more durable the better. Anyone know anything about the new Droid with the "indestructable" screen?

Jenn just got one, has had it for a few days. Seems pretty good to me. The shatter proof screen is a good feature, as long as it holds true. Feels pretty solid in the hand.

Does anyone have any thing to say about the Hopper from Dish? I am getting another tv and to make it work right for the setup the hopper makes the most sense. I could just run a regular cable to it, but I would have to share channels and It wouldn't be HD. This would be a waste of the TV I just bought so looking at options. Any other options would be appreciated as well.

Electronics Pondering

After the talk in the tablet thread, thinking of taking the money I had set aside for golf equipment and updating my surface pro to the 3 or 4.

Ok guys .

Droid turbo 2

LG V10

Galaxy S 6

Gogogo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back