What Do You Think About This From USGA?

While this won't affect me since most of my solo rounds turn into practice and hitting multiple shots from different locations, I know of quite a few people whose schedules don't allow them to play with larger groups and play almost all solo rounds. This would almost make their handicap non-existent. I bet most of them still post those scores anyway.

If you don't play with others, then why do you even need an official handicap?

I don't totally disagree with this. There are a lot of apps that will track your handicap and allow you to enter any score you want. They're not an official USGA handicap but if you're not going to play in any sanctioned events then it's good enough for most to track progress and list their handicap if they want. If I'm not mistaken, my first THP event didn't require an official handicap, just that I had one, and they trust their members honesty.

Dumbest ruling ever by the USGA, IMO. Did they also come out with an age requirement for my playing partner that makes my round postable?? I ask this because I played 25 rounds with my 10 year old daughter this year and that number will only go up in the future. As others have said, this rule is not enforceable and it will not change me posting my solo rounds. I'm one of those who posts all my rounds to keep track of how many rounds I've played and my progress, not to play in tournaments. I've not played in any handicapped tournaments since 1979.

hahaha that's amazing. Revision to Section 5-1e for 2017; Golfers must hold hands whilst posting their rounds to handicap tracking systems.

Cheaters gonna cheat.

If you don't play with others, then why do you even need an official handicap?

Silly question. That would be like asking a runner if he doesn't run with others, why does he need to keep track of his mile pace or overall times.

I can't even remember the last time I joined the USGA for an official handicap but thank you USGA for giving me another reason to put the letters you send me straight to the shredder.

The USGA seems to constantly find new ways to push people away from playing this wonderful game. It's very sad to watch and I hope one day this changes for the good of the game. Before its to late!

Silly question. That would be like asking a runner if he doesn't run with others, why does he need to keep track of his mile pace or overall times.

Last I knew, foot races weren't handicapped.

For me those news were a suprice, not for the same reason it supriced most of you but because I thought it was like this already.

I am from Europe and we play acording to the EGA handicap rules and this has been like this for years. Before every round you have to register you tee time on the official website for Icelandic golf asosiation (www.golf.is) and ask some of your playing partners to be your score keeper. Then after the round you fill in your score online and an e-mail is sent to the one that keept your score, he has to verrifie it online before it takes effect.

And ever for me, I have not been able to play for handicap for years when just playing with friends, if you are below 4,5 in hcp you can only play for handicap in official tournaments.

So pretty strickt rules here, so this made me supriced that this has not been in the US before.

Just my 2 cents from Iceland

(sorry for typos).

So if I play in a handicap event, will there be a lie detector test requirement prior to playing asking that all posted scores were validated by a second party?

Oh wait. I forgot. In my home course where I register my handicap I almost always play alone, but I ALWAYS play with a caddie. So I guess the caddie doesn't have enough weight or integrity to verify my own score? Does the other person need to be a fellow player?

here is the real question.

When this rule goes into effect will people honor the rule? If not, then I guess the question is what other rules is it ok to break?

I think this rule is as stupid as the rule of not being able to repair a cleat mark, but even though I think its a stupid rule I still play by it.

here is the real question.

When this rule goes into effect will people honor the rule? If not, then I guess the question is what other rules is it ok to break?

I think this rule is as stupid as the rule of not being able to repair a cleat mark, but even though I think its a stupid rule I still play by it.

I'm going to play by it and then when I shoot way below my handicap I'll make sure to point out that my handicap only reflects a small portion of my rounds due to the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a side note, I get up to StL on business about once a month, when the weather gets better we need to get a round in

I'm going to play by it and then when I shoot way below my handicap I'll make sure to point out that my handicap only reflects a small portion of my rounds due to the rule.

It is a flawed concept for sure. Let's say someone shows up as a single and got paired with a twosome. He's doing his own thing, they are doing theirs. Don't see why that round would count and if he plays the exact same round alone, it wouldn't. He goes home and enters his score online anyway, who knows who he played with, if anyone.

There are many flaws with the handicap system, entering a score when you played by yourself probably isn't one of the top flaws.

Hell, I might set up my own excel spreadsheet and do it that way.

I've been doing that for years. No need to pay for it and the formula is the same. Not official of course, but I have no need for something official anyway.

I think that a dumb rule.

I think I am the only one in my surroundings that event holds an handicap, does that make the rounds I play with my non handicapped friends void?

It is a flawed concept for sure. Let's say someone shows up as a single and got paired with a twosome. He's doing his own thing, they are doing theirs. Don't see why that round would count and if he plays the exact same round alone, it wouldn't. He goes home and enters his score online anyway, who knows who he played with, if anyone.

There are many flaws with the handicap system, entering a score when you played by yourself probably isn't one of the top flaws.

I've been doing that for years. No need to pay for it and the formula is the same. Not official of course, but I have no need for something official anyway.
I know THP had events where an official handicap was required, that event has since evolved and haven't seen the same requirements since. That was the only REAL reason I kept a handicap anyways.

I don't compete and I think the rule is dumb. I play a lot with my 8 year old, so I guess I could still count most. It's not like he's there to hold me accountable for my score though. I may just stop paying the $40 per year for the GHIN service.

It will be really interesting to see if this results in a large decline in official handicaps.

Last I knew, foot races weren't handicapped.

Niether have any of the hundreds of tournaments I've played in since 1980. Since high school my handicap has never been factored in, other to put me in the championship flight or as a qualifier to enter the US Mid Amatuer Chanpionship qualifying rounds.

That to me is basically saying we think you all cheat

blugold said:
Hell, I might set up my own excel spreadsheet and do it that way.

...I've been doing that for years. No need to pay for it and the formula is the same. Not official of course, but I have no need for something official anyway.

Exactly, set up my own database to track my game.

I hate to be that guy lol but you do realize many AM golfer cheats at one time or another in a round, not cheating on purpose, there are so many rules in golf and most dont know them all.

That to me is basically saying we think you all cheat

????? I still don't get this ????? Why would you be shooting way below your handicap. Are you only going to submit high scores to boost your handicap because you play a different game when playing with others?

I hate to be that guy lol but you do realize many AM golfer cheats at one time or another in a round, not cheating on purpose, there are so many rules in golf and most dont know them all.
The standard, "what did you git there" 2-stroke penalty.

I'm going to send them an email explaining why for many golfers, this is a dumb rule. I'm guessing they won't care but I'll see if canceling my $250 a year USGA Medal membership will maybe at least get them to rspond to my letter.

Back