Playing an iron from the Tee box, Do you Tee it up?

Definitely - helps you flush the ball and removes the turf interaction that can sometimes lead to chunking your contact. I've actually found you get a bit more distance (and consistency) from the tee.

Nearly always tee up the ball when using 4-PW. Approach and sand wedge straight off the deck!

Nicklaus said do it, so I do.

I recall him saying something like, "why not give yourself a perfect lie if you can".. It's a no brainer...

I used to play it down but since switching to the epoch tees I've never not used one of those sweet mini tees.

At this point, I couldn't imagine not doing it.

Used to always play of the grass to be 'old school' and got tired of finding a good lie so tee it up. Plenty of broken tees and if not just tee it up with the fingers underneath the head of the tee to not go too far down and be under the grass, if I can find some short Zero friction tees I'll use them

I used to not tee it up at all. After reading through this thread a few weeks ago gave it a shot for the first time and won't go back. Huge difference for me and just that extra little bit of confidence looking at a ball begging to be placed well. Doesn't always happen the way I think it will, but much better results with teeing it up just to the floating point resting on the top of the grass.

If I have the chance, I always tee up an iron shot. Plus, I still take a divot. Jack Nicklaus mentions using a "sweeping swing". I still swing it the same way; downwards and into the ball. Does everybody here still take a divot when hitting an iron off a tee?

I always tee it up but extremely low. I even do it when I'm hitting a wedge. Just gives me a better feel if the ball is sitting up slightly and a little more confidence knowing I won't screw up and hit it fat.

I'd be willing to bet that if you took a survey of tour pros, nearly every single one would tell you they use a tee on every tee box.

Isn't that reason enough?

I used to play it down but since switching to the epoch tees I've never not used one of those sweet mini tees.

At this point, I couldn't imagine not doing it.

I have never used one of the small Epoch tees. I always use a broken wood one I find on the tee box. In fact, the first chance I get, I pick up as many broken tees as there are par 3's so I don't have to worry about it!

It depends on what I'm trying to do with the shot, I wouldn't normally use a tee for 6 iron through to PW. But if I have a small green and a 3,4 or 5 iron I will use a tee to get more height on the shot

I just create a small lump of grass and take the shot as if it was from the fairway

I have never used one of the small Epoch tees. I always use a broken wood one I find on the tee box. In fact, the first chance I get, I pick up as many broken tees as there are par 3's so I don't have to worry about it!

Agreed I use whatever broken one I can find. I have a few of the mini tees but I like them a lot for teeing up with my fairway or hybrid

I always use old broken tees to tee it up for my iron shots.

I used to not tee it up at all. After reading through this thread a few weeks ago gave it a shot for the first time and won't go back. Huge difference for me and just that extra little bit of confidence looking at a ball begging to be placed well. Doesn't always happen the way I think it will, but much better results with teeing it up just to the floating point resting on the top of the grass.

same happened to me due to this thread and never realized the mistake i was making by not doing it. Also now realizing a small misshit doesnt have quite as bad results. This gives more confidence in knowing you dont have to be perfect which I feel results in more relaxed and that actually results in less mishits to begin with. A catch22 but in a good way

For cleaner shot, of course I will tee it up. My favorites ritual :D

I will always use a broken tee. I think it gives you that little bit of an advantage sitting up a bit. Plus the tee boxes that I play on are not the best in the world for sure.
Jack Nicklaus always did. If it's good enough for the Bear, it's good enough for me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Always use a tee. I tee it just a nub above the turf. It helps mitigate a poor tee box.

I normally tee up anything stronger than a wedge. Most of the time, it's basically teed up at the height of the grass, but it's nice knowing that I have a "perfect" lie. If I have, or find, a broken tee, I'll use it. But I'm not above jamming a 3" peg into the turf, either.

Always get way better consistent from a tee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back