Looking for a stand bag recommendation

Dee74

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking for a new stand bag. I have had the same bag for over 10 years and just want a change. I do not carry my bag but I use a push cart or ride in a cart. I was looking at the Ping Hoofer 14 because I like the individual slots for clubs but after loading one up and trying it out at Dicks tonight I will not be getting this bag. The clubs did not want to go in and out of the bag very well, I really had to pull quite hard and then jam the clubs back in the bag. I do not want to do that for an entire round of golf. I like a stand bag for use at the driving range and when I take my clubs out of my trunk. Any recommendations are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sun mountain 4.5
They have a 14 way and are much durable than most of its competitors

Ogio Grom or Silencer

Ogio Silencer.

So if you don't carry, why do you want a stand bag as opposed to a cart bag?

So here is why I wanted to know. I'm trying to get a better idea of your requirements and what is important to you.

If you are just using the stand for when you take them out of the car and at the range there are cart bags that have a base that stands upright on their own, which you might consider as an alternative. If you are set on a stand bag, but ONLY use the stand as stated, that tells me you aren't too concerned about the weight of the bag or the durability/stability of the stands since you always are going to have them on a hard and level surface and use them only occasionally. What you are going to be concerned about is how it fits on your push cart, because not all stand bags mount securely on all types of push carts.

My first cut on a stand bag would be to look at the Taylormade Flextech or the Sun Mountain 4.5. Some of the other products suggested do not have individual slots all the way down and will be subject to the problem you cited with the Ping bag of getting the clubs in and out, especially when the bag is on a push cart.

Sun mountain 4.5
Look no further than this brilliant suggestion. I've put upwards of 19 clubs in, plus alignment sticks and do not have issues whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sun contain c130 hybrid (with legs). I set out with the same criteria you're looking for in a bag. This was the winner.

I don’t like how tall the SM 4.5 sits in the carts. It makes for a loose fit and strapping it in tight cinches up the section below the handle. That’s the only time I have issues getting the clubs in cleanly. The bag itself is kind of tall when laying down and barely fits in my trunk. Other than that it’s a solid bag. The other bag on my radar was the 2018 Callaway Fusion 14. It has some potential but I felt like SM had the better build quality.

Sun mountain 4.5
I had one of those, but it wouldn't stay in my clicgear very well because of the stand mechanism at the bottom. Ping Hoofer works great though. I don't have the individual slots though. I have never liked those for some reason.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sun contain c130 hybrid (with legs). I set out with the same criteria you're looking for in a bag. This was the winner.

I just saw this on the Sun Mountain website and was interested. I saw the c-130 without legs last night and tried it out but it seemed a little unstable without legs and I would like to avoid a bag full of clubs tipping over. I liked the bag, I may like it better with legs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for C-130 stand and SM4.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a Ping Hoofer with the 5-way divider over the winter. Used it during my recent trip to Hilton Head and love it.
We were in carts every round at HHI and bag was easy to get clubs out of. Also has a great strap system; easy to adjust and comfortable to carry clubs.
My 2¢.

Considering you want a standbag to use as a cart bag (mostly), I would maybe look at the hybrid ones. I think Sun Mountain or Titleist 14 way are good options. I had an Ogio stand bag, and although great for carrying, seemed to turn sideways when on a pull cart.

Back