Hybrid suggestions

4maddogs

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A.
I am a very, very poor female player with a slow swing speed. I play Taylormade aeroburners irons (5- sw). I use a Taylormade jetspeed driver and a cleveland gap wedge. All in ladies shafts and I am happy enough with these.
i also have an oldish Cleveland hybrid (20 degree 3h) and it is this I want to replace. I am aware there is a long gap between my 5 iron ( that I don’t hit well) and driver.

I was thinking of a hybrid as I don’t get on well with fairway woods in the wetter months....I am in UK so that is 12 months of the year!

My shot shape can be a shocking slice. I get the ball in the air OK unless I really duff it.

what would you suggest I look at first? No big golf shops around so need to target. I hear good things about the Cobra F max.....would this be a good start to try out?
TIA

I would check out a ping g25a you can get them for a decent price and they are awesome hybrids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

make sure you check out Callaway Pre Owned. They offer some very nice clubs (almost new) for a very good price. They have women's XR Hybrids for $50-$80. Don't rule out the Heavenwood. Its a 7 wood with a 4 wood shaft. A lot of the guys really love them and the reviews are awesome. A Great Big Bertha Heavenwood standard length in "like new" (WHICH WILL BE MINT CONDITION) for $72. It's a weapon off the tee and fairway.

I'm not sure if you are already getting nice height that the Cobra F-Max is necessarily the best choice. Our course rents the F Max and I've played with a few traveling golfers who used them. Each grew frustrated with how high (and left - which OTOH sounds like you'd like) they hit the hybrids, fairways, and driver. This included one lady that I'd guess was in her mid 50s based upon discussions about families, careers, etc... It sounds like (with no fairway wood) you are mainly seeking a distance club off the fairway with your hybrid choice. Unfortunatly the ladies Cobra lineup only goes to 4 Hybrid so nothing around 20* for you. That said I'd actually recommend a slightly older and presumably cheaper Cobra option. Either the Fly-Z or F6 ladies 4/5 hybrid. They bottom out at 23.5* (IDK why they don't offer a 3/4 or 2/3 option to ladies but they apparently don't) but offer a lot of tunabily on the hosel, 8 loft settings, 3 of which with a draw favoring option too. That might give you the flexibility to tune the loft to fill a gap if you ever do find a fairway you hit well off soggy turf. Also, maybe with no 3 hybrid option offered you could get a men's head but have the appropriate ladies shaft installed at your course?,

I gamed a pair of Fly-Z hybrids for over two years (a 2/3 and a 3/4) and they are incredibly easy to hit and forgiving clubs. I also gamed a newer F7 for a few months but I preferred the Fly-Z. That mid 50 year old lady I played with last summer began borrowing my men's R flex Fly-Z 3/4 hybrid on the back 9 when she wanted to move the ball down the fairway further. She didn't drive it very far so she needed to advance the ball as far as she could on her second shot on most par 4s and was frustrated with her rental F Max hybrids and fairway woods.

I asked my wife who is a scratch golfer about your question. She said ladies struggle with longer irons, hybrids, because they tend to try to scoop the ball up with their right hand to get the ball airborne. I've watched her hit countless hybrids and while there's some variation in flight, generally speaking not enough to determine if one hybrid is better than the other. To her, it's more about club weight for women to avoid "lugging" the club around your body. She suggests you try a lighter hybrid to possibly reduce tension.

For what it's worth from someone restarting their game, as I played before hybrids became popular - I really like them. I have a set of Calloways that include a 5 and 6 hybrid, and 7-8-9 irons. I have a 7 wood, and I hit the fairway woods better than hybrids, so I've thought about trying one of the specialty 9 woods to replace the 6 hybrid, but it depends on your swing too.

I second the Callaway pre-owned webpage as a great place to look. Also, here in the States we have a play called "Play It Again Sports" which sells used equipment. Just another thought to check any second hand stores.

Cheers and good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Lucy

Titleist 818 or if you can find an 816. If not the TM m1 from 2016

Thanks to you all for suggestions. I will visit the largest golf shop with the widest range of clubs. Some of the options are not available in the UK sadly.

One more quick thought on this - don't rule out a hybrid with a little more loft! Something like the Callaway Steelhead XR in 25* could be a great fit, especially if your first iron is a 5i. Also, you might find a 7W (around 21*) easier to hit than a similarly lofted hybrid. Good luck!

The Cobra F7 hybrid could be a good fit. It is super forgiving and has adjustable lofts as well.

I would suggest the Wilson staff d200 if budget is a concern.

Thanks to you all for suggestions. I will visit the largest golf shop with the widest range of clubs. Some of the options are not available in the UK sadly.

Don't rule out looking on golfbidder @4maddogs, they have a great selection of clubs, mens and womens. I've used them a few times (I'm just down the A12 in Essex/London), and they are really very good and accurate on their grading on used clubs too. Bigger selection than any shop (just selecting Hybrids and Ladies Right Hand give 482 options), and a 7-day trial period.

I'm up @Sheringham end of April, so let's hope the weather isn't too...well...British between now and then. :good:

Back