Lift, clean, and place: When do you play?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I played a round with a friend on Sunday that began in a torrential down pour. The ground was just slop from a few hours of rain. Hard, dry dirt under the grass makes for a lot of standing water when you get a burst of heavy rain, so we both agreed we would play lift, clean, and place. I have never done this before and after about 6 holes the sun was out, and it no longer seemed necessary.

Considering that most of us aren't playing in governed events, how do you determine when you'll play this way? Do you include your playing partners in the decision process, or do you just make the call on your own?

I thought you only played this rule in the fairway?

If the golf course is cart path only, we play lift, clean & place!!!!!

If I feel like it and it passes the smell test for being fair given the conditions.

In the winter when fairways are dormat we will play lift clean and place in fairway but we play it down in the rough year round

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If the golf course is cart path only, we play lift, clean & place!!!!!

Ah, here's the tricky part: The starter told us to try to stay on the paths as much as possible, but this particular course only has paths around the tee box and the greens...

Rarely play it. Some members on the normal Saturday group will play it when cart part only

If I feel like it and it passes the smell test for being fair given the conditions.

This exactly. And it definitely happens from time to time in the winter up here in the PNW.

If my ball is covered in mud and muck I lift, clean and place. Local Mini-tour plays LCP anywhere through the green within a scorecard length.

Edit: when conditions warrant it.

Regardless of when you decide to do it, IMO if you start the round doing it, you can finish the round doing it. Even if it doesn't seem necessary anymore, if you start that way, finish that way.

If it's agreed upon by the group and conditions call for it we play LcP. This is very rare though

My general rule is if it is cart path only then you can go ahead, but generally only do it if mud is visible. For winter, we generally say if you can see mud on the ball then go ahead and clean it.

if the balls are plugging in the fairway and it's decided upon, then I have no problem with L.C.P.

If mud is frequently adhering to my ball, I'll play LCP in the fairway, as that's what would happen if I were playing in a tournament in those conditions.

when the ball plugs in the fairway. Other than that, I really don't play L/C/P.

If my ball is covered in mud and muck I lift, clean and place. Local Mini-tour plays LCP anywhere through the green within a scorecard length.

Edit: when conditions warrant it.

This actually brings up a question I had. Say your ball has a huge wad of mud stuck on it. Are there specific conditions you can clean your ball or is it only when LCP has been declared prior to? Thanks

We play LCP if the ball has a "glop" of mud on it. Its understood in our group that no one takes advantage of this, and we don't question anyone who chooses to LCP. I like one of the previous posters who wrote if the course deems cart path only, then LCP should be played.

This actually brings up a question I had. Say your ball has a huge wad of mud stuck on it. Are there specific conditions you can clean your ball or is it only when LCP has been declared prior to? Thanks
In an official setting I'd say you play the ball with the mud on it unless LCP has been declared.

If LCP isn't in play for the entire field, you must play the ball covered in mud.

If the ball is plugging or mud is sticking to the ball in the fairway, then I will LCP. If I am playing a round with others, I will check with them before doing it.

I thought you only played this rule in the fairway?

Yep, fairways only and only when the course putts the sign out at the 1st. & 10th. tee saying LCP is in place.

The group I play with regularly plays the ball up all winter to make up for the patchy grass & uneven lies. I'd prefer not to, but if I don't do the same I'm at a competitive disadvantage & likely to loose some cash.

Yep, fairways only and only when the course putts the sign out at the 1st. & 10th. tee saying LCP is in place.

What course has signs for it? I've never played a course that has signs specifically for LCP rules.

Back