Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

Thanks for the info.... Ponder Mode Activated

Seems like most people are getting the same distance with this hybrid as the equivalent iron. I tried out the 23 (4h) yesterday and I was hitting it just as far if not further than my 3 iron. I was hitting the stock Kuro Kage shaft in a stiff flex.

I play Titleist AP2 710 so the loft is about 21 on my 3 iron, 24 on my 4 iron compared to 23 on the hybrid. I typically hit my 3 iron about 215-220 and I was at around 218-225 with the Apex Hybrid on the launch monitor.

Has anyone else seen similar distance gains compared to the equivalent iron?

4 hybrid saw some regular use the last 36 holes, and Maddog may or may not be seriously contemplating this club as well after he pured it a few times yesterday! This is probably my favorite club in the bag as I will use it regularly either for a bad tee shot recovery, or off the tee to a number I like, par 5s, etc. it just makes me happy to swing it. If I could swing it like Maddog I would be even more in love with the club and it's already my favorite. It's just such a nice look, sound and feel compared to what I have played with in the past. If you like more and an iron replacement visually and audibly this is a club you need to consider! I place hybrids in two categories: Small Metalwoods vs Iron Replacement. Both are a ton of fun but the hybrids that sound like Metalwoods just don't give me the same confidence over this 4hybrid which from the sound of striking it makes me feel like I'm hitting a normal 4 iron. I like that sound and I love this club. And it's very forgiving, my wear pattern is out on the toe and although it bothers me a little that I'm not hitting the center, I'm also not complaining about the results I see from that part of the club it is just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is perfection in a hybrid for me. It's down right silly at times the confidence I have to pull off a shot with them.

I've even contemplated dropping my HW for another in that spot, which anyone who has played with me and my HW can agree is silly to even consider... This makes me think about it though.

This is perfection in a hybrid for me. It's down right silly at times the confidence I have to pull off a shot with them.

I've even contemplated dropping my HW for another in that spot, which anyone who has played with me and my HW can agree is silly to even consider... This makes me think about it though.

The 3H is SOOOOOOOO goood.

So after winning one of these, I've had a few hits with it now. It's certainly long. It's a good 15 yards longer than my old Cleveland classic 3h. It also has a great sound and feel. I will say for me, the head is not the most confidence inspiring. The head is a lot smaller than my current Cleveland, which in itself isn't that big. I'm not great with fairway woods off the deck, so do prefer the smaller hybrid, but I find the Apex for me is best off the tee or a nice fairway lie. Out of the rough, I'm not so confident. Again, from my experience, this is definitely a weapon for the better player, as I don't feel the club particularly helps in getting a nice high flight.

I'm thinking I want to get in somewhere to try out a 3 hybrid. I'm just not in love with my F6 hybrid and this seems like a great option. Now just to find some time to demo...

Part of me wishes I hadn't hit this today cause now I want it. I literally murdered this thing 5 or 6 times back to back 210 and deadly straight. I see it kicking my x2hot out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Part of me wishes I hadn't hit this today cause now I want it. I literally murdered this thing 5 or 6 times back to back 210 and deadly straight. I see it kicking my x2hot out

Favorite hybrid ever of mine. It continues to amaze me.

Favorite hybrid ever of mine. It continues to amaze me.
Yea I see it getting into the bag this year

Going to have to try this out at some point, though I want to hit it on the range and our pro shop hasn't gotten any in so far - told they are due by a Callaway demo day on April 1st.

Yea I see it getting into the bag this year

I've actually contemplated dropping my HW for another one. Which is insane for me to say with how I hit HW.

These are way way way way way more iron replacements in terms of distance. Was one if the design goals with them.

I play 5 to 5i and 4 to 4i in these, in the xr it was 6hy to 5i and 5hy to 4i for me.

Did you play xr or xr pro? The xr pro 4 hybrid is 23 degrees same as apex.

Did you play xr or xr pro? The xr pro 4 hybrid is 23 degrees same as apex.

Yet the xr pro still plays longer. Its designed as a distance club while the Apex are more iron replacements and they're blissful.

Got out with this club again tonight, and sadly, I continue to struggle with it. I've typically enjoyed playing hybrids, but have stayed in the GI/SGI realm, and this club is the most player like hybrid I've played (not to say it's the most player-like out there, just the most like that that I have played), and I think I miss the forgiveness that I'm used to in this slot. I'm generally seeing the same distance as other 4h (x2hot, Wilson D100), but this one seems to want to go right for my swing. I know a lot struggle with hooking their hybrids, and this might be a great club for them, but as someone who plays a left to right shot as standard, this club seems to accentuate that miss for me. It might all be mental, but I just can't seem to get this club to work the way I want it to work.

Golf is fun, just swing Neb!

Only demoed the Apex 3h a couple times on course but I kind of miss it. If my Xhot 2 pro experiment fails, I will be buying a 3h and I might consider a 4h at some point if I don't get better with the 4i.

Golf is fun, just swing Neb!
I'm swinging alright, and certainly not getting upset, but just might be finding this club isn't a great fit for me, which does make me a bit of a sad panda. I'll keep trying it, but sometimes things just aren't meant to be.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys to fit in between my 5 iron (23* Big Bertha) and a Heavenwood I have on the way. Is the 4 hybrid the way to go here?

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys to fit in between my 5 iron (23* Big Bertha) and a Heavenwood I have on the way. Is the 4 hybrid the way to go here?

I just picked up the 23* to replace my 3 iron. The 3 iron sat between my 5 iron and my 17* 2 hybrid.

Think I'm going to break down and pick up the 4h this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bombed a couple shots today using the 18*. Still getting used to the distance, but covers nicely when I hit a poor drive. Love the "ting" sound when you hit it flush.

Got a bit more information today that might explain my issues with my 4h. I ordered it 1up but was still losing everything right so wanted to have the lie checked. My local store said they couldn't tell me the lie, but I hit off a lie board and found I need it 1 up from where it is. No idea if I need it 2 up from stock or if it didn't ever get adjusted from stock, but that explains so much. Of course, my local store said they couldn't adjust it so I need to reach out to Callaway and see if I can send it in or something.

Back