Poulter Valspar Heckler

jhstew1

Idiot Free
Reaction score
Handicap
5.8 Ghin
A heckler may have won the battle with Ian Poulter at the Valspar Championship, but it appears the Englishman has won the war.
The man who heckled Poulter last week in Tampa and then continued to harass him on Twitter has been fired by his employer, Florida newspaper The Ledger reported.

J.J. Downum ribbed Poulter about hitting shots into the water and not making the Ryder Cup team this fall, then put the spotlight on himself when he bragged about his actions on Twitter to @BarstoolTrent of Barstool Sports. The series of tweets caught the eye of Poulter, who brought them to the attention of Florida Southern College in nearby Lakeland, Fla., where Downum worked as an assistant athletic director.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gri...er-gc-a-poulter-heckler-gets-fired-job-031816

LOL...got to love social media!!! :clapp::laughing:

I'm guessing he didn't see that coming :rofl:

Check mate, I guess. I know Poulter isn't exactly a popular figure, but I cannot stand heckling.

I don't understand what he was thinking! Strange!

this is one of those things that will probably make a lot of people hate poulter even more, but honestly i say good for him. i love to see someone actually having to face up to the reality of the consequences of their actions. i'm not perfect so i'm not casting stones. but i do like the idea of people at least seeing that there are consequences and maybe thinking twice before doing something similar.

Yah, I'm not a Poulter fan but don't really have any problem with this.

I certainly don't come out of this hating Poulter, although I'm sure some will. Just shows that if you are going to act like an a$$, eventually someone notices that you wish didn't.

Good on him. One thing to keep it light on Twitter or maybe a small poke while following the guy, but this guy simply went too far. Good on Poults.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I like that someone had to pay the price for their actions. No need to be an a$$ when at an event or other sporting event

I certainly don't come out of this hating Poulter, although I'm sure some will. Just shows that if you are going to act like an a$$, eventually someone notices that you wish didn't.

Exactly! While social media has it's uses, some people seem to think what they do and say on those various platforms won't be noticed by others. I've never understood the sense in heckling professional athletes anyway, but that's just me.

Not a big fan of Poults, but, I'm even less a fan of A-holes that try to draw attention to themselves at the expense of others. Love that this one had to pay a dear price for his idiotic actions.

Social media is dangerous.

That guy got what he deserved. If you're gonna rage via the Internet, be invisible and the worst that will happen is you will get blocked. Ian Trumped this dude...'You're fired'

That brings the number of people Poulter got fired over Twitter to 2.

Hmmm. Maybe if fans at tourneys didn't feel compelled to act like total douchebags, this kind of thing would not happen.

Hmmm. Maybe if fans at tourneys didn't feel compelled to act like total douchebags, this kind of thing would not happen.

Don't know why people think they have the right to heckle people at a golf tournament or any sporting event for that matter.

Now if they could get rid of the "get in the hole" and "bababooey" idiots I'd enjoy watching golf much more.

Some people are ass clowns.

Social media is sadly something that a lot of people abuse in the sense they spout off about someone or something without a care in the world for the consequencies. No sport needs idiots like the guy having a pop at Poulter. Come to think of it, the Earth prob doesn't need idiots like that either.

Good on you Poulter for the way you handled it.

What Poulter did is the modern day equivilent to 'sending the boys round' and giving him a good kicking.

just another example of things not to post on your twitter account... this dude is of an age where he should get it... I tend to give young kids and old people a free pass... but this dude was in the sweet spot of knowing better... oh well, most things can be explained by Darwinism

if you are going to be a public figure & as out spoken as Poulter can be, I think he should expect heckling, either online or at the tourney. During the course of play he pointed them out to security & it was addressed. As for the online "heckling" Poulter could have easily blocked him or make his own account private to avoid these issues, he cost a guy his job over some tweets? (Yes it was the school that fired him) I will admit i could only see what was in the article but from what i saw it was nothing new, Poulter hits bad shots & people mock him on twitter & Poulter has very thin skin.

if you are going to be a public figure & as out spoken as Poulter can be, I think he should expect heckling, either online or at the tourney. During the course of play he pointed them out to security & it was addressed. As for the online "heckling" Poulter could have easily blocked him or make his own account private to avoid these issues, he cost a guy his job over some tweets? (Yes it was the school that fired him) I will admit i could only see what was in the article but from what i saw it was nothing new, Poulter hits bad shots & people mock him on twitter & Poulter has very thin skin.

but why should someone else have to go out of their way to avoid something because someone else thinks they're more important than everyone else? The guy was an idiot for taunting him after the fact. Being a moron on the weekends doesn't mean you avoid responsibility for it on Monday.

but why should someone else have to go out of their way to avoid something because someone else thinks they're more important than everyone else? The guy was an idiot for taunting him after the fact. Being a moron on the weekends doesn't mean you avoid responsibility for it on Monday.

Not to mention didn't the guy use a WORK related twitter account? What an idiot.

Back