Why are there not more Jason Williams type players?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been driving since 10am to my folks house with the kids (spring break) so tons of thinking time. I'm wondering why there are t more young kids like Jason Williams making their way into major college programs and the pros. Hoops is played world wide but players like JW seem few and far between, why?

I've been driving since 10am to my folks house with the kids (spring break) so tons of thinking time. I'm wondering why there are t more young kids like Jason Williams making their way into major college programs and the pros. Hoops is played world wide but players like JW seem few and far between, why?

Wich Jason Williams are we talking about?

You lost me Panda, what about Jason are we talking about.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wich Jason Williams are we talking about?

You lost me Panda, what about Jason are we talking about.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was trying to be PC, Sacramento Kings point guard Jason Williams. Why are there not more Caucasian point Gaurds

I was pretty sure that was the one you were talking about. He was one of my favorite players when I was playing in High school. White Chocolate!!!! Loved the way he played the game. Such an exciting player to watch. The behind the back elbow pass in the all star game to this day is the best pass I've ever seen. Now to your question I have no idea why. It really is confusing. The three point shot seems to be the Caucasian thing in the NBA. Or 7' big men from Europe.

I was trying to be PC, Sacramento Kings point guard Jason Williams. Why are there not more Caucasian point Gaurds
Shouldn't the question be just Caucasian in general? Hahahaha

Interesting question and point. The same coukd probably be asked what happened to guys like Jason Sehorn.

My speculation is small-mid size white kids are playing less basketball at the competitive level and either playing other sports like baseball, golf, football (Edelman, amendola).

Cause they can't jump?

I could feel that one coming #Cookie! :angel:

JM

He's an actor though....not a true bballer.

I realize this. On a serious note I think it's a lot of guys no focusing just on bball but so many other sports. Also some white men can jump, look at Pat Connaughton out of Notre Dame, paying in Portland now, 44" vertical.... that's serious jumping right there.

He was an amazing player to watch back in the day, but made a lot of bad decisions on the court as well though. Probably some of the most creative street-ball like plays I have ever seen on an NBA court.

White Chocolate! I always rooted for him, players like him make basketball fun to watch.

On why there aren't more players like him; I think emart is hitting the nail on the head, kids like him are more likely to pick up another sport. And the white kids that play at college level now generally don't have the style and flair he possessed.

Another reason might be the fact that a lot of coaches try to kill risky styles of play, so young players nowadays are more likely to take the safe option instead of a risky play.

Jason had a mind like no other, his court vision was out of this world. I think it's because players now are taught to score first pass second. Now that Curry has changed the way a point guard should play I don't think we will see another player like Jason.

They are not quick enough!

White kids are too busy doing CrossFit and being gluten free. No time in the schedule to ball.

I'm just going to leave this here.

I'm from Belle WV...I played little league baseball with Jason...best baseball player I have ever seen...could have played short stop in MLB...When he got a basketball in his hands it was over...He was addicted to basketball...played every available moment he could...

There was another guy Randy Moss lol....sick sick sick high school basketball games...

That Walkup kid for SFA was fun to watch in the NCAA tourney. Not quite White Chocolate, but still good.

I think a big reason that there are not more players like this is that basketball has become a really over coached game. Everything is super organized and cookie cutter basketball.
Back when Jason williams played, aau wasn't as big and kids would just go play in the parks. Hours and hours of "free play" allowed him to grow into white chocolate.
Now every kid is on an aau team or playing organized basketball from the time they turn 5 on. It stifles creativity. If it doesn't have a coach or a ref then kids don't do it. Just drive around on a weekend and see how many kids are outside shooting by themselves or with a smaller group of friends.
You don't see guys like williams, rafer Alston, God Shamgod anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a big reason that there are not more players like this is that basketball has become a really over coached game. Everything is super organized and cookie cutter basketball.
Back when Jason williams played, aau wasn't as big and kids would just go play in the parks. Hours and hours of "free play" allowed him to grow into white chocolate.
Now every kid is on an aau team or playing organized basketball from the time they turn 5 on. It stifles creativity. If it doesn't have a coach or a ref then kids don't do it. Just drive around on a weekend and see how many kids are outside shooting by themselves or with a smaller group of friends.

I agree with you on the over coaching but think you could apply it to youth sports in general. My daughter plays soccer and the question is always why the US hasn't developed a Messi type player yet. The answer is often that kids like my daughter play in structured leagues from the moment they start the game often with coaches joysticking every move/pass/shot etc so they never learn that type of flair & creativity.

Because there can only be one White Chocolate

not sure about where your located but AAU has always been huge (had a cousin that played in mid to late 90's) especially in texas. I think with better access to media it seems that it wasn't as big back then.

Back