Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

I didnt want to play with the weights at all. Thats how much i love this thing. 16g in the back and let it rip

It is so awesome to me that we are playing it in the opposite weight setting, granted you have the 14* and me the 16*.

It is so awesome to me that we are playing it in the opposite weight setting, granted you have the 14* and me the 16*.
Just shows the versatility of that line. Many people may think DBD when they hear 816 and will gravitate towards the GBB fairways. Now those are beasts in their own right, but this 816 fairway line is the biggest surprise in equipment ive ever seen. I know im not someone who reviews or tests equipment on a regular basis but still this was a huge surprise to me

Just shows the versatility of that line. Many people may think DBD when they hear 816 and will gravitate towards the GBB fairways. Now those are beasts in their own right, but this 816 fairway line is the biggest surprise in equipment ive ever seen. I know im not someone who reviews or tests equipment on a regular basis but still this was a huge surprise to me

it's such a good FW. I still think the GBB line is a little easier to hit off the deck, but the strong performance from these is hard to ignore.

See, I was EXACTLY that way, even reading Ddec's review, I linked 816 to DBD. Thank goodness Nick locked me down in this and said no to the GBB, not that I didn't love those, this is just something else.

The 16* is just incredible. So so so so so so incredible.
It's the first club that has made me say wow in a long time. That's not a lie....Well to be fair the CF16's made me say "holy sh++" when I hit them for the first time :D With those irons and that FW in the bag, I might actually be dangerous......LOL

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

So excited to hit this combo. Thanks Santa Kang!

b19d769d26b9491504c22295761fdfd3.jpg

My #1 on the golf team hit this after goading him into it, I think its still going. He doesn't carry a 3w, which will be changing now. #Ifeelinadequate

My #1 on the golf team hit this after goading him into it, I think its still going. He doesn't carry a 3w, which will be changing now. #Ifeelinadequate
Meh. He's young and limber.

I am serious considering an upgrade on my fairway woods.

This is a club I need to look into. Its an amazing looking club for sure.

I need to gush on this club some more. The 16* w/ heavy forward is just freaking lethal for me right now off the tee. I've honestly got more confidence in it there than any other club in my bag, which is saying something, plus its a freaking bomber.

So so so so so so so so happy I was fit into this one.

I need to gush on this club some more. The 16* w/ heavy forward is just freaking lethal for me right now off the tee. I've honestly got more confidence in it there than any other club in my bag, which is saying something, plus its a freaking bomber.

I know the weight forward is supposed to make it less forgiving, but I really like what it does to the ball flight

I know the weight forward is supposed to make it less forgiving, but I really like what it does to the ball flight

Its the same way for me, I'm seeing a HIGH ball flight there still that just goes forever. It works for me because I really don't miss by much on this one.

Hit it several times in the sim. So consistently a nice mid to mid high launch off the tee, with just an ever so slight draw on the ball. I believe I was 4 out of 4 in the fairway and within 3 or 4 yards of each other. I cannot say enough good things about this club as well.

While I know "The Dean Has Spoken" on this one with the homepage review (link on page 1 of the thread, FYI), I really want/need to jump with some deep thoughts on this one after some extended time with it.

Looks wise, its a stunner IMO, particularly as it pertains to Callaway fairways. Its a nice headshape and I for one love the finish on my fairways, but I know its still a hit or miss thing for people. I do think I would kill for a uDesign one though...BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!!! Either way though, its a compact look to my eye at setup and the slightly deeper face is a confidence booster. I'll also freely admit to preferring the look of the face (lines all across) compared to the GBB's.

Where the adjustability is concerned, the dual-cog is as easy to use and effective as ever, but the weight options are what makes this one for me. Its simple, heavy forward or heavy back. I have the 16* which is the highest MOI fairway that Callaway has ever put out when the weight is set to back, as was discussed in the review. For me, the heavy weight is forward and its really not shown me any sacrifice in lateral forgiveness for where I miss, I'm pretty accurate with a 3w though so that def plays a role. Plus, with the weight forward I'm still seeing a high ball flight but a bit flatter to/at the apex. I want to tinker more with the weight back, but on my limited trials messing with it there (and being fit for it to be forward) it would be hard pressed to improve what I see now.

Overall, I have hit/reviewed/whored a LOT of fairways the last 3 years, I'm openly a fairway addict and funnily enough with the GBB I though that had stopped, but its THIS one that I never ever even intended on hitting that has halted that mentality instead. Don't get me wrong, I'll hit and review new models happily, but I don't seek them out anymore. Off the tee its a freaking bomber for me, legitimately and easily a 265+ club (as witnessed by several THP'ers) and lets me swing away because my misses are stupidly playable at times. Yesterday in a round with cookie I think I hit half of the ball with the heel and still ended up with a cut into the fairway, sure I lost a lot of yardage, but it was silly to watch (we both laughed about it, a lot). Additionally, at #TheGrandaddy this club was HUGE for me, and I should have hit it off of every non par 3 looking back on it. Off the deck, its viable for me height wise into similar distances, but, its not a shot I look to play often because there isn't often much need. But, it is definitely there.

I enjoy the hell out of the sound, because its different, in a lot of ways. But more importantly I really feel like I hit the ball hard with this one, it really feels like the ball just gets up and goes, and I love that much more than a super metallic or super composite sensation. I love the setup I have too, the Rogue i/o 70x is stable as hell for me and hefty enough I don't get as wild as I have with some other lighter options, the fitting at the ECPC verified that for me.

Anyways, long ramble, I know, but these are stupidly good fairways.

Oddly enough, I just had my first run in with the 816 Alpha fwy yesterday, so i think your thoughts are perfectly timely old friend!!!

What I came away with, was a lot of optimism. Sound, profile, launch, accuracy in total... All right there for what I would expect. Oh, and it looks insanely good with a completely yellow HZRDUS plugged into it.

Oddly enough, I just had my first run in with the 816 Alpha fwy yesterday, so i think your thoughts are perfectly timely old friend!!!

What I came away with, was a lot of optimism. Sound, profile, launch, accuracy in total... All right there for what I would expect. Oh, and it looks insanely good with a completely yellow HZRDUS plugged into it.

Its filthy man. I literally have less than zero urge to hit the XR16's which is crazy for me to say.

Its filthy man. I literally have less than zero urge to hit the XR16's which is crazy for me to say.
But you need to. It's a beast.

But you need to. It's a beast.

I'll pass honestly, it looks slick, but this is SO right in my wheelhouse (and fit for me). My seeking the holy grail of fairway woods for my game has led me here, and I'm so infatuated with it its insane.

I knew that the 4 wood version I have of this club was long as I myself can hit it 250 at times but I watched as someone with a 115 MPH swing speed with this club launch these boring, majestic shots, one after the other out to 280 yards and the simulator is NOT juiced. It was set at 17° and D so he had to change his swing just a bit to get it to stay online. He hit 4 other FWs in the shop and not a one was within 12 yards of this and no where the consistency.
Really amazing club.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FILTHY! This club is FILTHY!

The fact that it has single handedly ended all of my fairway wood ponders speaks volumes. Its become a constant for me off the tee, and with the distances I hit it there I'm not leaving much on the table from my driver. More importantly though, my high miss isn't killed, whether it be toe or heel side, I don't see the gear effect I have with pretty much every other 3w I have played, the MOI is real!

FILTHY! This club is FILTHY!

The fact that it has single handedly ended all of my fairway wood ponders speaks volumes. Its become a constant for me off the tee, and with the distances I hit it there I'm not leaving much on the table from my driver. More importantly though, my high miss isn't killed, whether it be toe or heel side, I don't see the gear effect I have with pretty much every other 3w I have played, the MOI is real!
Love it dude. I cant speak highly enough of this 3 wood

Have you guys been playing around with the weight configuration or dual cog? Or just keeping it set from the ECPC?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Have you guys been playing around with the weight configuration or dual cog? Or just keeping it set from the ECPC?

I've tinkered with the weight for about 25-30 shots but in the end I'm heavy weight forward still, and set to N/S 16*.

I just don't want to eff it up!

I left mine alone. I dont have any reason to mess with it other than being stir crazy and wanting to mess with my clubs lol

Back