Break down my swing.

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
Miss is coming ott and hitting a slice. Swing is from last spring.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You should turn the camera to get a full picture.

Hmmm, it's full picture on my phone.

Hmmm, it's full picture on my phone.

Freddy will get you taken care of. He knows his stuff.

From my untrained eye a few things. You are really shut at the top which might be a correction for your ott or your ott might be a correction for being so shut. You have a big hit turn but barely any shoulder turn. It might look and feel like you have enough but the hip turn is hiding the issue. That leads to bad timing and corrections needed I think such as arms not really being as much in front of your chest as they should be. You also have your back foot flared out I think which might be another correction of the lack of shoulder turn.

Curious to see what Freddie says.

Never had much of a turn due to a bad back. Here's a pic from last fall from a different angle on the downswing. Face appears to be square.
f7e4dddef8ae5099202aeaa71b574e9e.jpg

In the video your club face is pointing straight into the air at the top. I have no clue what to do for a swing with a bad back where you can't get shoulder turn. That is one of those things someone like Freddie who has taught a wide variety of players with issues of there body not allowing them to get in what someone would call optimal positions should be able to help

In the video your club face is pointing straight into the air at the top. I have no clue what to do for a swing with a bad back where you can't get shoulder turn. That is one of those things someone like Freddie who has taught a wide variety of players with issues of there body not allowing them to get in what someone would call optimal positions should be able to help
Yea, I probably should do updated video as I believe a grip change helped clubface at the top. I have to say miss has gotten less frequent but will rear it's head at most inopportune time. Lot's of core work over the past year has given me more strength and flexibility.

The first thing I notice in your take away is the left heel lifting off the ground. This combined with the arm swing vs a shoulder turn is placing you in a unique position at the top of your swing. It's doesn't look like a reverse pivot but very close. In this instance your back swing is setting the table for you down swing.

Your downswing starts out fine because it begins with the lower body. The left heal moving back down to the ground is a good trigger. But once it hit the ground the lower body stalls and the upper body continues to follow the path left or OTT. But really it's not over the top as much as it is a cast. The left foot start to the down swing actually gets the club in the slot. The stall and the cast gets the club just outside your intended target line.

This can be fixed if the lower body doesn't stall. You also need to try to get to the outside of the left foot on the down swing as you are hanging back while pivoting on the left heal. The cast is causing you to come up and out of the your swing to create room for the club to swing through.

I don't know if you can keep the left heal down and swing. So let's work on just trying to get the weight shift from right to left on the swing and keep the upper body moving thru the shot. The goal is to get the two moving in conjunction.

The first thing I notice in your take away is the left heel lifting off the ground. This combined with the arm swing vs a shoulder turn is placing you in a unique position at the top of your swing. It's doesn't look like a reverse pivot but very close. In this instance your back swing is setting the table for you down swing.

Your downswing starts out fine because it begins with the lower body. The left heal moving back down to the ground is a good trigger. But once it hit the ground the lower body stalls and the upper body continues to follow the path left or OTT. But really it's not over the top as much as it is a cast. The left foot start to the down swing actually gets the club in the slot. The stall and the cast gets the club just outside your intended target line.

This can be fixed if the lower body doesn't stall. You also need to try to get to the outside of the left foot on the down swing as you are hanging back while pivoting on the left heal. The cast is causing you to come up and out of the your swing to create room for the club to swing through.

I don't know if you can keep the left heal down and swing. So let's work on just trying to get the weight shift from right to left on the swing and keep the upper body moving thru the shot. The goal is to get the two moving in conjunction.
I greatly appreciate your insight. Is there a specific drill I can try to keep lower body from stalling? And if I understand correctly, the stall is causing me to cast the club as opposed to driving through the ball.

You are coming over the top. Super common. Frame by frame, your take away is shallow. If you stop frame when the head of your club reaches your waist, it is low and back, finishing your take away you create a crescent at the peak. But when you start your down swing you come over the top which in turn create a steep down plain leaving your face wide open and and your hands out of position. I think it is fine to pick up your left foot if that is what it takes to get your full turn. It really is a simple fix but takes a lot of repetition to cure. I will default back to this steep down swing when I'm trying to get an extra couple yards. Try the opposite effect. Bring your hands back high and force yourself to creating that crescent on your down swing. This will force you behind the ball creating a draw. Jim Furyk is a prime example of what I mean but exaggerated a bit

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You are coming over the top. Super common. Frame by frame, your take away is shallow. If you stop frame when the head of your club reaches your waist, it is low and back, finishing your take away you create a crescent at the peak. But when you start your down swing you come over the top which in turn create a steep down plain leaving your face wide open and and your hands out of position. I think it is fine to pick up your left foot if that is what it takes to get your full turn. It really is a simple fix but takes a lot of repetition to cure. I will default back to this steep down swing when I'm trying to get an extra couple yards. Try the opposite effect. Bring your hands back high and force yourself to creating that crescent on your down swing. This will force you behind the ball creating a draw. Jim Furyk is a prime example of what I mean but exaggerated a bit

When you say bring your hands up high, does that mean get club vertical quicker in the back swing opposed to a rounder swing?

When you say bring your hands up high, does that mean get club vertical quicker in the back swing opposed to a rounder swing?

Correct vertical take away. There are apps you can download that display a swing plane that just might help show you how your take away plane is much lower then your downswing.
I greatly appreciate your insight. Is there a specific drill I can try to keep lower body from stalling? And if I understand correctly, the stall is causing me to cast the club as opposed to driving through the ball.

I think you're going to get into trouble trying to get high hands on the back swing. The tendency is going to be more of an arm swing.

I think you're going to get into trouble trying to get high hands on the back swing. The tendency is going to be more of an arm swing.
After watching swing again and knowing l can't keep left arm straight I'll never have high hands. Is there a specific drill that will help me sync up?

After watching swing again and knowing l can't keep left arm straight I'll never have high hands. Is there a specific drill that will help me sync up?

Place the butt of the club in your chest and take your setup position. Reach down the club until your arms are straight. Make a shoulder turn and keep the butt pressed against your chest (sternum) until the arms reach the hips them swing the arms to the top. On the down swing you want to return the butt of the club back to your sternum. This should be done slowly so you can get in sync. Once you have the feel, take a normal setup and keep repeating the motion you just felt.

The lower body has to start the down swing in order for the club to fall back in line. If not you'll be guiding the club back to the chest and will continue with the over the top move. Make sense?

Yes it does. I'll try it tonight when I get home from my son's basketball game. Greatly appreciated.

I personally don't worry about high hands. I just try to get as full a shoulder turn as possible along with the feeling that my hands somewhere around about shoulder height. If I try to get my hands up high I usually cut my turn short and my left arm bends. There is a diagram that Sam Snead created where if 12 o'clock were directly behind him, he wants to feel as if his shoulders got to 2 o'clock but his hands only got to 9 o'clock.

tKvytdz

Place the butt of the club in your chest and take your setup position. Reach down the club until your arms are straight. Make a shoulder turn and keep the butt pressed against your chest (sternum) until the arms reach the hips them swing the arms to the top. On the down swing you want to return the butt of the club back to your sternum. This should be done slowly so you can get in sync. Once you have the feel, take a normal setup and keep repeating the motion you just felt.

The lower body has to start the down swing in order for the club to fall back in line. If not you'll be guiding the club back to the chest and will continue with the over the top move. Make sense?
I tried a couple "normal" swings in front of a mirror when I got home. I could see my hands/club trying to play catch up with the rest of my body. I then tried the drill with just a shaft and felt more connected with the club. Started out slow to get used to the motion then went outside with the driver. Felt great. I'm going to do this drill daily until I can get to the range and see if it transfers to when I have a ball in front of me.

Back