TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

Nothing too it.
Just apply a little heat to the screw and replace with different one.
My SW without the additional weight is only around C5 , I like D1 or 2.

I am not concerned with the process, I dont want to mess with the weight and possible ruin what is working.

Curious. What's the M2 head weigh ?

My head is 194g, after installing an 11g weight into it its at 205g and swing weights to D5 now with the Mitsu Tensei 70X in it. Way better look that the lead tape lol.

As for the head, if you made me pick a word right now, it would be enigma.

Aesthetics are really damn good. NO they are NOT the first to do the multi material crown, but this version looks badass with the contrast of the white near the face and the carbon fiber rear section of the head. The shape itself is very nice as well, not overly elongated like some heads, which is something I prefer, and enough depth to the face to five you confidence. One other thing I will add is I like the black face, TM's dark faces always seem to show contact positions better than any other OEM out there for me, which is EXCELLENT when tracking to compare to recorded LM data. The rest of the package is simple and clean, the sole looks good IMO, no massive weights to move around, just a clean and modern look.

Looking back through data and now what I and 4 others have seen on the range and course, there is SO much potential here, but ONLY if you have the "correct" miss, which is for me a bit frustrating at the moment.

High on the face I'm not sure I have seen anything like it, I mean that, the ball speeds being generated up combined with the effect on spin on those misses are shocking to me. Sadly, just as shocking is the low miss on the head, in a blunt word it is brutal with some of the largest drop-offs I have ever seen in any driver I have tested. That said, my miss isn't low with this driver right now, its high heel so I stay plenty playable, but if you miss low typically hit this BEFORE you buy if at all possible. Strikes on center mass or just lateral of center (around 1" either way) put up really nice numbers in terms of ball speed generation and spin. On good strikes I'm not seeing any more ball-speed than my gamer, but I am seeing lower spin with equal launch which has equated to a bit more distance on those shots (on misses though my gamer is much better in all aspects). Averages for me with my setup (non stock with the Tensei) at 10.5 are about 14.5* launch and 2500 spin, really solid for me as my gamer is around 14.0* launch and 2750 spin.

I will mention it on its own here, but this is the best sounding driver I think I have ever hit for what I want to hear out of a driver, its the SuperTri but BETTER, and it BLOWS AWAY the 5 or so releases from TM. That said, that sound is also a part of my frustration with the performance as I really do hit it heel side more than my other drivers (GBB and KING LTD), consistently, and it is freaking BAFFLING to my mind. Add to that, the low miss is terrifying because unlike high where you get away with a lot and keep a ton of playability, the low miss goes nowhere for me.

Anyways, I'm finding much more of a mixed bag than I anticipated. Which is not at all what I expected.

wow jman, isn't that consistent heel miss what beags was seeing as well? you guys test A TON of clubs. what do you think is causing such a prevalent, persistent miss?

wow jman, isn't that consistent heel miss what beags was seeing as well? you guys test A TON of clubs. what do you think is causing such a prevalent, persistent miss?

Yep, its the same.

Not a freaking clue as it makes literally ZERO sense. Same length as my other two driver setups, and swing weighted properly for what I want.

I'm still thinking its mental somehow, but as Beags and I have discussed its confusing as hell.

Yep, its the same.

Not a freaking clue as it makes literally ZERO sense. Same length as my other two driver setups, and swing weighted properly for what I want.

I'm still thinking its mental somehow, but as Beags and I have discussed its confusing as hell.
Compare lie angles compared to other drivers? Not sure what the m2 is

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The heel miss is baffling me. I have never had a heel miss with a driver, and can swing 2 or 3 other drivers and hit them perfect, then swing the M2 and the heel miss comes in to play. It has me very confused, and the fact that James sees the same as I do confirms my puzzled-ness.

very strange boys. lie angle? strange internal weighting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the 10g weight in this head it feels much better through the swing...thank goodness. Seems to have even more launch but still holds the nice shallow descent angle.

The heel miss you guys are seeing is wierd, but I certainly agree that this driver sucks if you miss heel.
I've been setting up a little further away to ensure center/toe contact to avoid the death zone.

The heel miss is baffling me. I have never had a heel miss with a driver, and can swing 2 or 3 other drivers and hit them perfect, then swing the M2 and the heel miss comes in to play. It has me very confused, and the fact that James sees the same as I do confirms my puzzled-ness.
Just wondering if the lie angle is super upright compared to most drivers. Odd that you are both seeing that miss and don't normally have it

Just wondering if the lie angle is super upright compared to most drivers. Odd that you are both seeing that miss and don't normally have it

It's not a universal issue because I have not had the same experience.

FWIW though, I stand by all of my thoughts I posted earlier.

I'll continue to update to see if we can keep this forum review hopping with data and thoughts.

Beags and I are clearly insane then.

I dont think so. It could be any number of factors. Could be how your eyes perceive the alignment, could be a difference in lie angle, anything is possible really. If I know anything about equipment, it's that nothing is the same for everyone.

I dont think so. It could be any number of factors. Could be how your eyes perceive the alignment, could be a difference in lie angle, anything is possible really. If I know anything about equipment, it's that nothing is the same for everyone.
I've spent time with two or three drivers over the years and never had anything like this occur, even one with the same paint scheme. But, the heel miss isn't the story here to me anyways, its the data I've recorded in relation to how the head responds to misses and the massive difference from high misses to low misses and just how incredibly penal the low miss is.

Beags and I are clearly insane then.
Two golfers seeing some different results with a club hardly makes one party "insane". We are all just reporting what we are seeing, or not seeing.

Two golfers seeing some different results with a club hardly makes one party "insane". We are all just reporting what we are seeing, or not seeing.
Heavy sarcasm dude. Heavy.

Also, the weight kit I bought off ebay worked perfectly, the wrench is crap though so make sure you have heated the screw in the head enough or you will strip it.

Jman,
When you experience the heel shot and distance loss, what is the shot shape?

I used to play an R9 10.5* and R11s 12*and hit them both quite well.
When the SLDR came out I lofted up to 14* and when my swing was on I hit some of the prettiest and longest drives ever for me. Downside was when my swing was off it produced nothing but 180 yd snap hooks. Upon demo-ing both the M1 and M2 I saw the same thing on the range when I missed. Just ugly low snap hooks again.I’ve never experienced this with other drivers.I mean you name it, I have tested just about them all from every oem out there. Sure I still pull the ball (my normal miss) and sometimes will hit a big sweeping push draw but overall distance is still close to my norm (210-230).

I guess I am just wondering why the more recent crop of TM drivers produce that ugly short shap hook for me. Could it be they are too low spinning for me?

Currently I play a G 10.5, prior to that a G30 SF Tec 10*.
The M1 and M2 I tested were 10.5 and the ball flight seemed plenty high for me on good swings. Just wondering why the off swings are that much worse with the TM drivers.

I'm just guessin' but it's probably not the club. :beat-up:

I get that. I am far from a perfect driver of the ball but I would say keeping the ball in play off the tee is one of my strong suits. I might be out of shape once during a round, so I'm not a complete gump on the tee box.

As mentioned above, in owning and testing many, many drivers I also miss and still seem to get a respectable yardage and result.

Jman has mentioned he has seen a loss of ball speed low on the face with the M2. I am wondering if perhaps the newer TM's aren't as forgiving on my bad strikes or if not what is causing those ugly low snappers. Is it a spin issue, etc?

Back