IT Help...Vista/Safari support...

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
Yeah, I know. We may be the last remaining people in the world with Vista OS :D We will be buying a new machine sometime this summer most likely. But in the meantime, Chrome announced it would no longer support Vista. So we switched our default browser to Firefox.

When we downloaded it, it is version 43.x seems to be the latest version we can download on our system. Does anyone know if we will be OK with this version of Firefox on Vista? By OK, I mean will be missing any security updates that leave us vulnerable.

We do have the latest Norton AV and run a scan on it weekly.

Thanks for any help.

You should be fine with it as long as you are keeping Vista properly patched (and don't do anything questionable). I would add another scan engine or two like HitMan or Malwarebytes or even MS Security Essentials. It's always good to have a second opinion.

You should be fine with it as long as you are keeping Vista properly patched (and don't do anything questionable). I would add another scan engine or two like HitMan or Malwarebytes or even MS Security Essentials. It's always good to have a second opinion.
Thanks. Would MS Essentials run ok with Norton installed, the two wouldn't conflict or anything. From reading the product description of MS Essentials, it seems to do what Norton is already doing?

Thanks. Would MS Essentials run ok with Norton installed, the two wouldn't conflict or anything. From reading the product description of MS Essentials, it seems to do what Norton is already doing?

They won't necessarily play together. When I have an infected PC I'll install 2 or 3 different AV packages and just activate them one at a time and have them do their scans - that way they won't conflict with one another. Sometimes one AV will pick up an artifact that another missed. I cited MSSE more for its malware scanning (and free-ness), but Hitman and Malwarebytes do just as well.

They won't necessarily play together. When I have an infected PC I'll install 2 or 3 different AV packages and just activate them one at a time and have them do their scans - that way they won't conflict with one another. Sometimes one AV will pick up an artifact that another missed. I cited MSSE more for its malware scanning (and free-ness), but Hitman and Malwarebytes do just as well.
Gotcha, One of the things we read on the internet (scary place :D) was that if you had pop ups disabled and your scan still found tracking cookies (our found 5 on Saturday) that is a sign that you have Malware. I had assumed Norton would notify us if we did. But you comment about MSSE and what I read on it's sight about Malware detecting, sounds like it's a good thing to have. And yes free is good!!

Firefox 45 should work on Vista, at least by the system requirements.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/45.0/system-requirements/
So is there a reason you think it only installed 43.x (at least that's what Michelle said was the option, she did it while I was watching basketball, trying to act like I was paying attention LOL)

I guess that's the overriding question, we should be ok with 43.x vs 45 for the foreseeable future, until we get a new machine. She gets more paranoid about threats than I do, which is probably a good thing.

She still gives me a hard time about the most visted site on our computer containing the word "Hackers" in it :alien2:

Back