TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Got this out for the first time today on my home course when it has been above 60º. The front 9 only has 3 holes where I pull driver but all 3 were good shots. They were close to where some of my best shots with the SLDR have been. Really feel like I am not compromising anything with this driver.

Yeah it's also taking some time for me to get used to this club. I'm one of those "long honeymoon" type of guys.

I also have the rear weight cranked full forward and loft steady at 9.5 degrees.

But I'm very hopeful for this club. On the range it's got the best ball flight so far in all my drivers. Can't wait to use it more on the golf course.

I hit my first drive with the M1 today. It was shortly after making a terrible pass at my LTD, and laughably, I put almost the exact same mediocre cut inside swing with the M1.

LTD was in the center of the fairway, definitely short of my intended distance but not terrible.
M1 was about twenty yards offline left and about 10-15 yards short of the LTD.

I should have hit it more, but was a nice experience and reminder of what I saw with R15. That in mind, I think the toned down sound of the M1 is fantastic!!! This isn't a review or anything, and not intended as anything more than just food for thought, but I did enjoy the experience. The crown looks absolutely amazing at address. I'm a big fan. Head heavier than i was anticipating as well.

Really can't say enough how much I like this club. Another day where the driver was the best club in my bag. 4 of 6 today were right down the middle, the other 2 were a little toward left side. I'm at the point now where I don't consider 3w because I am more accurate with driver.

My miss is higher and more toe than heel. Like people are saying in the M2 thread that forgiveness is really good on that part of this face and this club I think is the same way. The weight is all the way back on mine. I'm finding most shots within about a 20 yard range, some of that can be attributed to layout of different holes and conditions.

Have had this combo on the course a few times now and just love it. Rogue Silver 70 X with m1 9.5. Always have been a high launch/high spin guy and this club finally gives me the feeling like I am not wasting power. Have the rear weight all the way pushed forward and hit several drives in the 285 carry range this weekend. No roll out as they all plugged in the soft ground.

I really like this club but not with the stock shaft. I switched it out to a Fujikura SIX and the club came alive. A fairway finding machine!!

Sposey tells me that when we duel at ClubClash that I need to use this off the tee. He thinks I'm afraid of it.

The M1 has been the best of the new drivers I have tried so far this year, but still hasn't beat out my trusty ol CT 1.0. My driver is 2" longer though, to be fair. I would really like to try this one out at the same specs as my current driver before I just go with a Vapor Pro head.

I hit my first drive with the M1 today. It was shortly after making a terrible pass at my LTD, and laughably, I put almost the exact same mediocre cut inside swing with the M1.

LTD was in the center of the fairway, definitely short of my intended distance but not terrible.
M1 was about twenty yards offline left and about 10-15 yards short of the LTD.

I should have hit it more, but was a nice experience and reminder of what I saw with R15. That in mind, I think the toned down sound of the M1 is fantastic!!! This isn't a review or anything, and not intended as anything more than just food for thought, but I did enjoy the experience. The crown looks absolutely amazing at address. I'm a big fan. Head heavier than i was anticipating as well.

I liked the sound/feel of the M1. Off all the drivers I hit at the Kentwool, I liked what I saw out of the M1 was the best. Granted I had limited swings with everything, but the M1 piqued my interest the most.

I'm still in love with this club. Played a couple more rounds this week and this right now is the best club in the bag. I haven't been able to take advantage due to my lousy short game lately but I am putting myself in some great spots on the course. I'm seeing a high flight on the straighter shots, and a mid high on the shots where there is a little more right to left. The course is fast and firm so I am getting very good roll out on those reminiscent of the good shots I had with the SLDR. My miss with this is a little extra right to left but more often than not it is just left edge of the fairway.

I can't say I've ever had this much confidence off the tee.

Had a driver showdown between this and my fly z. Was also testing a couple different shafts in the m1. I had my longest drives with the m1 and the rip phenom shaft. But my dispersion was much more consistent with the kuro kage shaft.
My swing was not very good but I feel like this could eventually surpass the fly z by the middle of the year.
Such a fun club to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the M1 since it came out and love it. Averaged 74% fairways hit the last few rounds. I had a bad round with driver about a week ago I don't think I hit a drive over 230, never found the middle of the face that day but still managed to hit 60% of the fairways. Today I was around 80% and averaged over 260 off the tee.

Tried a few more drivers today and the M1 was still the best performer for me at 10.5* with the front track weight in the middle and the back track weight fully forward.

Still struggling a bit with this guy. Not entirely the clubs fault, but it's shaft/head combo probably isn't ideal for me. I was able to get the ball to launch properly on a few swings today. I have the 8.5' head adjusted +2up to 10.5' at which the slightly closed face exacerbates my snap hook miss. I have it down to my ideal 43.75" length and I am playing both weights all the way back on the back track, and no weight in the front track. My best carry today was 290yds and that ball was launched at a perfect looking angle and flew with about a 2yd fade. Once my swing settles back down I feel like this thing will be a monster even if it isn't the perfect setup for me.

Still struggling a bit with this guy. Not entirely the clubs fault, but it's shaft/head combo probably isn't ideal for me. I was able to get the ball to launch properly on a few swings today. I have the 8.5' head adjusted +2up to 10.5' at which the slightly closed face exacerbates my snap hook miss. I have it down to my ideal 43.75" length and I am playing both weights all the way back on the back track, and no weight in the front track. My best carry today was 290yds and that ball was launched at a perfect looking angle and flew with about a 2yd fade. Once my swing settles back down I feel like this thing will be a monster even if it isn't the perfect setup for me.
Curious what made you take the weight out of the front track and put both back?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Curious what made you take the weight out of the front track and put both back?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Needed more spin/higher launch. Still playing with it. Should make it even more forgiving too.

Why get an 8.5 head if you need more launch and spin? Just an impulse buy or were you got for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won it in a long drive contest. I didn't have any other options. I tried swapping the head out at GG but because they don't carry the 8.5 deg head they couldn't do a no receipt return for me. I think it'll work just fine, but my swing is still a little sketchy.

I have a 10.5 head and when I first bought it I was not impressed but when I got the right shaft in it for me it is the best driver I owned up to now!

I am still loving my M1, I will admit that if the M2 had been out when I bought this I may have gone that route since I am pretty much set to be the most forgiving options on the M1. I have hit more fairways and more 260+ drives with this driver than any driver I have ever gamed. I just put a Fuji 53 Folds of Honor edition shaft in mine and really love the feel of it with this combo and the result has been more fairways hit. I can't see pulling this out of the bag.

Updating my love/hate relationship with this club. I was at the range after an abysmal outing this past weekend and I cracked the face/channel area on the driver. I was playing with the front weight out near the toe and the rear weight all the way back. I caught a ball low and near the heel. I knew something bad happened by the sound.
c6eb4e96aab200c396fd979028da42e5.jpg
488bcd9b565823617363f8edc0b2788d.jpg

I won this driver in a contest sponsored by Golfsmith, and I must say they have gone above and beyond for me. They coordinated the warranty service with TaylorMade for me and already have a replacement on the way. They are also going to let me swap the 8.5deg head out for a different loft once it arrives. Huge thanks to them for this. Later in the weekend I also cracked the face on my hybrid and even though it's out of warranty Cobra stepped up and is replacing that with a brand new model, either Fly Z or F6. Golfsmith also handled the inspection and communication with this issue as well.

6 months in with this and it continues to be my favorite club ever. I hit 13 of 14 fairways today and one wind assisted hole gave me a new long drive. I really can't say enough good things about this club except maybe it's exposing the flaws in my short game.

Is shot my low round last week end, a 75. I will admit it was mostly short game and putting I had 24 putts but even though I couldn't find the middle of the face on the M1 all day I still averaged around 240 off the tee and hit 55% of fairways. All but one of the missed fairways were about one or two yards off the fairway at most. So even when I couldn't make a decent swing with the M1 I kept the ball in play all day. Still the best driver I have ever gamed hands down..

It's a great club! Lot's of great clubs, just need to find the one that matches your swing!

Anyone add a second front track weight to have a set up similar to the R15 while keeping the back track weight in place?

Back