Nike RZN Proto Golf Balls

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/r...d-11149970?cp=usns_brs_12022015_RZNProto_ho15
RZN-PROTO-DOZEN-GL0761_101_B.jpg

RZN-PROTO-DOZEN-GL0761_101_A.jpg

Proto? Wouldnt the fact that they are selling them now indicate that they are no longer prototypes?

Proto? Wouldnt the fact that they are selling them now indicate that they are no longer prototypes?

reminds me of when Adams used to sell hybrids with Proto on them.

Shhhh, you're ruining their marketing plan.

But agree with ddec though. The adams Super 9031 hybrid comes to mind.

I believe these are the golf balls that Schwartzel played during his win last week though

Ha! $60 a dozen. Maybe I'll print up some prototype money to pay for them.

No matter what they call them, they are still Nike balls. No thank you.

Doesn't seem like they are for sale. It says coming soon on the site.

Edit - Just read the tweet.

I thought the exact same thing, seems like an odd name if that's what they were going with long term.

think alot of people will be surprised by this ball. The cover feels alot softer than previous versions of nike golf balls. Granted I've always hated Nike golf balls but this specific one just felt better off irons and putter. Don't get me wrong, it's no Chrome Soft but it definitely is a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I was thinking about using that free customization this time of year to just slap Proto on them. Make me feel special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$60 bones is insane

Ha! $60 a dozen. Maybe I'll print up some prototype money to pay for them.

I got a chuckle out of that.

Is this similar to the MM Proto irons (which I think are just the Vapor Pros without the colors) that they sold a while back? So you can pay extra for the same thing you can get in a few months? People went nuts for the Rory Method putter, but I don't see the same excitement over golf balls, especially since I almost never see Nikes on the course, unless I'm the one playing them.

$60!!! Put the pipe down for a while Nike..

Is this similar to the MM Proto irons (which I think are just the Vapor Pros without the colors) that they sold a while back? So you can pay extra for the same thing you can get in a few months? People went nuts for the Rory Method putter, but I don't see the same excitement over golf balls, especially since I almost never see Nikes on the course, unless I'm the one playing them.

I think so. Then in January, you will see a release with regular packaging and retail pricing.

think alot of people will be surprised by this ball. The cover feels alot softer than previous versions of nike golf balls. Granted I've always hated Nike golf balls but this specific one just felt better off irons and putter. Don't get me wrong, it's no Chrome Soft but it definitely is a step in the right direction in my opinion.
The cover wasn't the issue with the past balls, its that damn RZN core with silly levels of compression.

As an open fan of the Nike RZN white and Black balls. Curious to try this out but not at $60 a dozen. That's just crazy

The cover wasn't the issue with the past balls, its that damn RZN core with silly levels of compression.

I was playing with arydolphin a few weeks back and he found a 20XI-S ball that I put into play on a hole. The sound at impact made me think something broke on my driver. The new ones are definitely better, but still firm.

Oh. Well for me it was the cover. Too hard for my preference. Pretty much the only reason I play a ball is the cover.

wow $60/dzn, you're just paying for the name at this point. maybe I'll find one at the course

I went to a Nike event tonight at one of my local clubs and spoke with the Nike rep about these golf balls. They're releasing them in all 4 of the previous RZN colors (black, platinum, red, & white) but if I remember correctly they're calling them RZN Tour _______ (insert color). They had all 4 boxes (unfortunately they were empty) so I was able to check the specs a little. The RZN formula has been changed a little bit and is now blue instead of red. They've enlarged the core and done some additional tweaking to increase the stability, so it won't move as much in the wind (according to the Nike Rep). The Red & white are still the 3 piece ball while black & platinum are the 4 piece ball. The black and platinum also have a unique spin on the dual dimple concept. The outside urethane skin has hundreds of small dimples within the regular dimples. I should've grabbed a few pics, so my apologies!

They will be available January 1. If you have other questions I'll try to answer as best I can remember what the rep told me!

Last edited:
I gave these a shot yesterday and they were OK. I thought that these were going to be something with all of the little dimples within a big dimple, but if you look at it closely, while it does have the little dimples, these are somewhat useless because of the clear coating that is put on the balls which covered them up. I do like the urethane cover though. The Bridgestone dimple within a dimple seems much more effective. Score one for Nike marketing!!

Back