UST Recoil 780ES F4 vs. Recoil 95/Steelfiber 95 thanks!

DocShank

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, thp community

I'm desperately in need of some advice. again...:D

I'm on the verge of ordering Callaway Steelhead XR Pros 5-7 irons but can't decide between the Recoil 780ES F4/Recoil 95/Steelfiber 95r shafts. already narrowed it down to these three options. pretty much. #letstrygraphite:D
The Steelhead Xr Pros remind me so much of my old X14s which were my first set of clubs as a very young golfer.love the looks^^

Anyway, I'm planning on keeping my current gamers (Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tour regular shafts) from 7i-PW and adding the Steelhead XR Pros 5-7 long irons to my bag(matching loft/lie). The idea is to gain a few yards while still maintaining decent dispersion.

Well, as a tinkerer I'm now wondering if there're even better options available out there for me^^.
I've tested the 780ES with the steelhead xr pro combo and was really impressed by the gains in distance and dispersion.
Unfortunately, Recoil 95 and Steelfibre 95cw shafts aren't available for demoing....locally

Have you guys had any chance to compare the Recoil 780ES vs Recoil 95s/Steelfiber 95 shafts so far?

some infos:
current clubhead speed (irons): 84mph, agressive-quick transition, high ball flight

shafts tested so far:

True Temper XP95: poor dispersion, ballflight mid-high
Callaway Speedstep 80: good dispersion, balloning
UST Recoil 780ES F4: tightest dispersion, mid-high ballflight -->more penetrating than XP95s

Basically, I'm looking for reviews on Recoil 780ES/Recoil 95/Steelfibre95 shafts. thanks a lot for your input guys!!!:alien2:

Last edited:
I would almost say stick with the 780 if you had solid results with them, unless you want to lower spin and launch. The 95 series graphite shafts are gonna be a touch heavier and play more similar to steel shafts with the added benefit of vibration dampening. There is a pretty large Recoil review thread in here with tons of feedback on them and lots of feedback that will be similar in the 780 SmacWrap thread to the 780ES.

thanks for your help. I read most of of the threads already but couldn't find any direct comparisons between the 780Es and 95s.only 760/680 vs 95s.
According to UST the SmacWraps differ quite a bit from the standard 780Es in terms of torque numbers.

I'm not really sure if the spin is too high or not. flight looks pretty decent with the 780ES.

I would almost say stick with the 780 if you had solid results with them, unless you want to lower spin and launch. The 95 series graphite shafts are gonna be a touch heavier and play more similar to steel shafts with the added benefit of vibration dampening. There is a pretty large Recoil review thread in here with tons of feedback on them and lots of feedback that will be similar in the 780 SmacWrap thread to the 780ES.

thanks for your help. I read most of of the threads already but couldn't find any direct comparisons between the 780Es and 95s.only 760/680 vs 95s.
According to UST the SmacWraps differ quite a bit from the standard 780Es in terms of torque numbers.

I'm not really sure if the spin is too high or not. flight looks pretty decent with the 780ES.

EDIT: sorry guys I looked at the wrong chart^^ The torque numbers in the 780ES and 780SmacWrap are the same^^

Last edited:

The 780 SmacWrap should be the same as the 780ES, 760 SmacWrap will be a higher torque and they're listed on the same page as the 780 SmacWrap. Maybe that's where the torque looks so different?

The 780 SmacWrap should be the same as the 780ES, 760 SmacWrap will be a higher torque and they're listed on the same page as the 780 SmacWrap. Maybe that's where the torque looks so different?

yeah u're right mixed it up^^. damn chart:banghead:. thanks for pointing it out to me! I'm just wondering if transitioning from KBS Tour r 110g (short-mid irons) to 86g shafts (mid-long irons) won't turn out to be too big a step. I'm not old or anything:D but last season I noticed some fatigue after 2-3 tournament rounds a week with my KBS Tours^^. Additionally, I'm relying pretty much exclusively on my iron/wedge game + fairway woods. can't put. can't hit a driver(straight)^^.

Last edited:
Having played the Recoil 780 ES F4's in my CF-16 Apex and now the Steelfiber i95s in my AP3's, the main take away I have is the Steelfibers will have a harsher feel throughout the swing. Both deliver performance as marketed and the 780 ES will be the lighter of the two. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I went Steelfibers because it was helping me get closer to the preferred 45* descent angle.

Overall you can't go wrong and will say if you want the iron to play and feel like a steel shaft go with the Steelfibers....if you want the same, but a less harsh feeling go Recoil 780ES.

Having played the Recoil 780 ES F4's in my CF-16 Apex and now the Steelfiber i95s in my AP3's, the main take away I have is the Steelfibers will have a harsher feel throughout the swing. Both deliver performance as marketed and the 780 ES will be the lighter of the two. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I went Steelfibers because it was helping me get closer to the preferred 45* descent angle.

Overall you can't go wrong and will say if you want the iron to play and feel like a steel shaft go with the Steelfibers....if you want the same, but a less harsh feeling go Recoil 780ES.

thanks! damn decisions:beat-up:. Having played both, I don't mind the steel vs. graphite feel. I've used graphite in my teens(x14s). steel now in my 20s.
Basically,my main goal is to get some yards out of my 5/4 irons to increase my options from the tee. As of now, I'm heavily relying on Fairway woods off the tee. Driver isn't an option (well, maybe at 42 inch):banana:
Have you noticed any differences in terms of distance/dispersion between the Apex 780ES and Steelfibre 95 AP3's?

Last edited:
thanks! damn decisions:beat-up:. Having played both, I don't mind the steel vs. graphite feel. I've used graphite in my teens(x14s). steel now in my 20s.
Basically,my main goal is to get some yards out of my 5/4 irons to increase my options from the tee. As of now, I'm heavily relying on Fairway woods off the tee. Driver isn't an option (well, maybe at 42 inch):banana:
Have you noticed any differences distance/dispersion wise between the Apex 780ES and Steelfibre 95 AP3's?

I've not had my Apex's in the bag for while, but dispersion was never an issue with the Recoil 780 ES. The Steelfibers having a better descent angle could very well be the tech with the AP3 heads. Yardage wise on well struck shots they were right there with each other.

IMO you cant go wrong with either. It's going to come down to what you want to feel. If you don't mind harsh, go SteelFiber...if you want less of a harsh feeling, Recoil 780 is the way to go.

The Steelfibers play stiff to flex IMO. Based on the other shafts you've listed, I'd recommend testing the regular flex in the Steelfibers.

This might not be of much help but at least provide some insight on flexes between the Steelfibers and the Recoils. For the past 2 years I played with the Steelfiber I 95R in my Srixon Z545's. Great shaft, no complaints. I purchased in late fall 2017 a Srixon Z565/765/965 combo iron set which I was going to swap out the Modus 105 stiff shaft (great steel shaft but not suitable for my mature body type) and put in a set of Recoil 95F3. I had read so many positive THP reviews on the Recoils I wanted to give them a whirl.

I consulted with our resident Recoil expert on the forum, Danny Le @ UST and he advised me to hard-step the 95 F3 Recoils once, thus indicating to me that the Aerotech is slightly stiffer even in same weight. After installing, winter set in up here in Canada and courses have still not yet opened so I have not had an opportunity to hit them.

As part of my Morgan Cup iron set-up Danny recommended that I go with the Smacwrap 780ES in F4 flex which is the bridge basically from the slightly heavier 95F3 to the lighter 780ES Smacwrap.

My current driver swing is between 93-97 mph if that is any help and I have a smooth as opposed to an aggressive swing. I hope this helps a bit.

This might not be of much help but at least provide some insight on flexes between the Steelfibers and the Recoils. For the past 2 years I played with the Steelfiber I 95R in my Srixon Z545's. Great shaft, no complaints. I purchased in late fall 2017 a Srixon Z565/765/965 combo iron set which I was going to swap out the Modus 105 stiff shaft (great steel shaft but not suitable for my mature body type) and put in a set of Recoil 95F3. I had read so many positive THP reviews on the Recoils I wanted to give them a whirl.

I consulted with our resident Recoil expert on the forum, Danny Le @ UST and he advised me to hard-step the 95 F3 Recoils once, thus indicating to me that the Aerotech is slightly stiffer even in same weight. After installing, winter set in up here in Canada and courses have still not yet opened so I have not had an opportunity to hit them.

As part of my Morgan Cup iron set-up Danny recommended that I go with the Smacwrap 780ES in F4 flex which is the bridge basically from the slightly heavier 95F3 to the lighter 780ES Smacwrap.

My current driver swing is between 93-97 mph if that is any help and I have a smooth as opposed to an aggressive swing. I hope this helps a bit.

thanks a lot for your input. You've really helped a lot. Seems like we are basically in the same ballpark speed-wise but our transition may differ a bit. Given all the feedback, and the fact that I've really liked the tested Recoils so far, I'm going to rule out the Steelfibres now. (they play stiffer in flex, generate less spin and therefore may not fit well with the already low spin callaway xr pro iron heads).
Finally, I've now to decide between the 780ES F4/F5's? and the Recoil 95F3's. :struggle: Considering the fact that they're mainly used in long irons, I'm leaning towards the 780ES F5s atm!
Winter's still going fairly strong over here in Austria as well and golf courses are still closed^^.totally know what you're talking about!. Cheers mate! #enoughskiing #enoughhockey (except for playoffs:D)

Last edited:
Best of luck, let us know how things work out. Cheers!

Hey guys, I've finally got the chance to test the Recoil 95F3. My main goal still is to play the Recoils exclusively in the longer irons (4,5,6). Distance-wise the 95F3 performed very similar to the Recoil 780ESF4. The ballflight turned out to be only marginally lower.
In additon, my dispersion with the 95F3 seemed to be more inconsistent. I was losing quite a few shots to the left(not my normal miss). Overall the 780ES felt more stable to me, which could have been attributed to the lower torque rating (?).
After testing the 95F3 I'm leaning now towards the 780ES F5. All I need to know now is how do they compare to the 780ES F4 in terms of bend profile etc..? Thanks for your help guys!:good:

I also took some pictures with impact tape to compare the 780ES F4 vs the 95F3. I'll upload them later!

Last edited:
Glad I saw this thread. I have been playing Recoil 95 F4 exclusively in my irons for 3.5 years. Looking to participate in the Hogan event and they do not offer the 95 Recoils but do offer the 780. This and the 760/780 SmacWrap thread will be good resources if I am luck enough to get in.

Glad I saw this thread. I have been playing Recoil 95 F4 exclusively in my irons for 3.5 years. Looking to participate in the Hogan event and they do not offer the 95 Recoils but do offer the 780. This and the 760/780 SmacWrap thread will be good resources if I am luck enough to get in.

in theory the 780ES is a little lower launching than the 780ES SmacWraps. They match in terms of torque.
hope this could help you.

Back