Cleveland CBX vs Ping Glide Wedges

sk8er3253

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all! My apologies if this has already been posted but the CBX review thread was really long and I wasn't sure how to search it to see if someone compared them with the Ping Glide's.

I'm in the market for new wedges. I currently have the TM Rocketbladez for irons and I love the Pitch and Approach wedges in that set, so I'm trying to get wedges that are closer to those vs. the traditional blade style wedges. Has anyone hit both and can offer any feedback between the 2 of them? I'm a 14 handicap and short game around the green is a big weakness. I was using an older set of CG14's that have been traded in.

Are both of those model's fairly identical and I'm over thinking it?

In my opinion they are going to be considerably differently. The CBX has more aggressive perimeter weighting for the misses of center contact and the sole design is a V-Sole allowing for different attack angles and swings to work with a single design.

I haven't hit the Glides, but I made the switch to CBX from RTX-3, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. And that's not a knock on RTX-3 at all; I just needed the added forgiveness. I have kept my RTX-3 LW though because I like having the low bounce option.

I have hit both, albeit the glide 2.0 only off of a mat with a launch monitor. My initial experience was good with the Glide 54ss, as to me, it felt firmer and launched slightly lower than its CBX counterpart. That could be the stock shaft vs the graphite recoil wedge proto, so take it with a grain of salt. The CBX appeared to be slightly more forgiving with shots out on the toe, but the glide was no slouch in this department either.

If I were making a purchase it would be hard, as for me that glide stealth is so sexy and looks great behind the ball. That said, my prior knowledge of how versatile the more forgiving CBX is would probably help hold its place in my bag.

Longwinded reply aside, go hit both if you can! I think that they are both solid wedges that offer a little more help than the standard blade

I had both last year. I think the CBX wedge is the best full swing wedge that's ever been produced. It is a legitimate weapon as a full or 3/4 swing wedge. As a touch wedge it is OK but it isn't as good as the MD3 or Vokey's. I think the Ping is worse as a full swing and better as a touch wedge, but it isn't a great touch wedge either.

One of the biggest challenges in putting together my bag right now is that I really want to carry something in the 58 degree range for 3/4 swing shots, but also love my W grind 60* MD3, which is awesome out of the sand and touchy shots. I'll figure it out but I would certainly suggest thinking about how you use it.

I have the CBX wedges and on the whole I think they're great for an inconsistent, mid-handicapper like myself. If I were a better ball striker I might like a little more consistency of distance, touch on chips, and turf interaction on tight or otherwise poor lies. There's a lot of bounce and they're easy to chunk in questionable conditions. I've had considerably worse luck with the CBXs during the winter months than I did last year and when the grass finally starts growing I'm sure I'll love them again.

I've never played the Ping Glide wedges but it's Ping and everything they make is excellent.

I've played both ping & cleveland cbx wedges. I've put the cbx wedges, 52* & 56*, in the bag. The ping wedges, same lofts as the cbx wedges but glide 2.0, we're ok but I prefer the look at address, impact feel & overall performance of the cbx wedges.

Back