The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is is it abysmal offenses or just good defense? I know sparty had no trouble putting up points against Oregon and I can't think of any other OOC games they had where it was an issue, other than Minnesota .

Against Oregon's 114th ranked defense? And Ohio State hasn't played MSU, yet, so they weren't factored into my argument. Sure, abysmal may have been a bit harsh, but so is saying that OU "doesn't play defense". Just to be clear, I'm not comparing OSU this year to FSU last year or arguing that OSU shouldn't be in the playoff. Both teams deserved to be in the top 4 at this point in their respective seasons.

Against Oregon's 114th ranked defense? And Ohio State hasn't played MSU, yet, so they weren't factored into my argument. Sure, abysmal may have been a bit harsh, but so is saying that OU "doesn't play defense". Just to be clear, I'm not comparing OSU this year to FSU last year or arguing that OSU shouldn't be in the playoff. Both teams deserved to be in the top 4 at this point in their respective seasons.

I'm pretty sure JRod is stating that the Big 10 as a whole is a pretty solid defensive conference, meaning the offensive numbers are going to be lower in general.

Big 10 defense as of total yards allowed:

#2 - Michigan
#3 - Wisconsin
#9 - OSU
#15 - Penn State
#17 - Iowa
#21 - Northwestern
#31 - Minnesota
#34 - Illinois
#46 - MSU

the highest ranked defense in the Big 12 is OU at 23, and the next team isn't until Baylor at 41.

If you go by points allowed you still have 5 teams in the Big 10 inside the top 20 (with Wisconsin and OSU #1 and #2), while only OU at 24 is inside the top 50 in the big 12.

So yes, OU has played defense. But they are practically the only one.

Fair enough. The same argument can be made for the Big 12 with their top offenses (5 of the top 7 scoring offenses) vs. poor defensive numbers. I'm enjoying the debate and wanted to clarify OU's position and their margin of victory since them and Baylor were called out. Trash Baylor's defense all you want :)

Common opponent stuff never really holds up for me, but look at iowa state... they put up 31 against a terrible okst D and 17 again Iowa... Iowa's margin of victory was 10 points higher than okst's... then you look at yardage... Iowa gained 485 and gave up 310. Whereas okst gained 497 and gave up 411...

My point is that there is a bigger drop off in defense than there is in offense... at least in this common road opponent

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Fair enough. The same argument can be made for the Big 12 with their top offenses (5 of the top 7 scoring offenses) vs. poor defensive numbers. I'm enjoying the debate and wanted to clarify OU's position and their margin of victory since them and Baylor were called out. Trash Baylor's defense all you want :)

Agree, good defense numbers could be helped by bad offense numbers and vice versa. I've never had anything against OU though. I'm still trying to figure out how they lost to Texas. They are a good team, but the rest of the big 12's defense is bad.

Agree, good defense numbers could be helped by bad offense numbers and vice versa. I've never had anything against OU though. I'm still trying to figure out how they lost to Texas. They are a good team, but the rest of the big 12's defense is bad.

Ugh, you and me both. Probably one of the worst OU/TX games I've been to. Honestly, though, that could have been the best thing to happen to them. They were very lethargic in the first half of their games leading up to the Texas game. Maybe the loss knocked a little sense into them because they have been playing phenomenally well since then.

Heading to the PSU vs. Michigan game today.

Heading to the PSU vs. Michigan game today.
Should be a good game, Penn st has been playing well

BIG day today!

Snowy, windy day at kinnick. Hawks up by 10 at the half.

e7a0df6bf3b3c4185932ae12d716795e.jpg

Florida tied with FAU in the 4th quarter lol

Just announced Cook is a game time decision. It's getting close to game time coach

Even if he does, that says a lot about his shoulder if they're still unsure about his status
Wonder if he gets an itchy trigger finger with boda wreaking havoc

The Citadel just upset South Carolina 23-22

Wow SC.

The Citadel just upset South Carolina 23-22
Just saw that... thank goodness the old ball coach wasn't around to see that

VT vs UNC is INTENSE right now! Come on Tech and Beamer!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

wow Gators got a gift, that was Pass Interference on 3rd down in the end zone, should have been 1st & Goal for FAU

This ref in the UNC game is SOUTHERN!

2-8 FAU took 9-1 top 10 Florida to OT. So much for that basically late season bye week that the SEC schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back