What do you look for in a golf instructor/coach?

Someone who works well with me. Video is a must. If I can see it, I can correct it. Someone who won't wait for me to screw up and then use that as an excuse to remake my entire swing.

First they have to be able to teach in the way you learn best.

Second compatability you have to be able to get along (for long term)

third video got to have visual feedback.

Im not totally against a swing overhaul. To me this depends on how good you want to be. And the amount of time and effort you want to put in.

Is there nothing in your current swing that works?
Honestly, the only things in my current swing that work are the things my coach put there. But then again I'm basically new back to golf--I started out *terrible* and shooting a 150. It can only improve from there.

I get the "what works with my abilities" thing though for sure--I'm a fat guy and not very flexible. It's not like I'll ever have a Bubba backswing, so my coach is certainly working within those parameters. But really good ball contact is good ball contact, and there aren't too many different ways to get there. If you have a problem in your swing somewhere, guaranteed that (a) it's something you should fix, and (b) fixing it is going to be uncomfortable and weird until you take the time to get used to the change and groove it.

Right now I'm feeling that more than ever--I'm figuring out how to get my lower body activated in my swing. It turns out that's not just about hips--I'm having to mess with how far apart my feet are in my stance, what I'm doing with my legs in my backswing, my posture at address, and the posture I end up in at my follow-through. All of those things feel weird, but they're all necessary to get my hips doing what they're supposed to do, so my shoulders and arms can follow at the correct speed, and I can make ball-first contact with my hands in front of the club head instead of flipping. Every piece of a golf swing is connected, and I'm learning that frequently what I think needs to be tweaked isn't actually the thing that fixes the problem.

Never had a lesson before and are taking one just before an event is very risky imo. I know its been mentioned in the thread but I would recommend waiting till after the event. With never having a lesson before there just might be too much to simply just give you a minor tweak. And even though you may think you are capable of not currently getting overly involved with any advice you get via the lesson for sake of the upcoming event, you may not be able to help yourself except to get more involved with things than you may wish. Getting lesson/s can really set one back at first. Even those more seasoned and use to lessons can often get setbacks due to them. This is no secret that this happens to many people. It doesn't mean it will happen to you and I hope it doesn't, but being its your first lesson its pretty risky imo. Good luck either way.

As to what to look for in an instructor? Hard imo to answer that because all of us are very different and they are too.

Yes, when asked what is my goal, I told him it was to play like emart.

Surprised he still took you. I think I have added some stress to his life and will do so again during the winter

If the teacher still thinks the ball starts on the swing path and not the face angle, run.

A good instructor knows how to teach adults. With a junior golfer they can show them something and they can adapt it into their swing quite quickly and easily. I look for an instructor who does the following:
- can identify what is wrong and in what sequence the faults need to be fixed, so that the player improves with every lesson
- helps you find the feel for what they want you to do
- gives you a couple of drills and 'checks' that you can use so you are doing them properly
- explains how these changes will fit into your swing and what exaggerations you want to avoid

My current instructor does none of these. Nor is he polite or patient... I would describe him as rude and arrogant. TBH I don't like his personality much and would never shout him a beer. As a result I have to write down the key points and then see if I can find someone explaining it better. But he's the only one in town so he can afford to be bad.

I tend to avoid people who compare your swing to a tour pros on video.

For the couple of guys who want to overhaul their swings in the winter, I would use this approach that many Asian golfers use. Go for one lesson and work on nothing but grip and set up with the coach. 2nd lesson first half of backswing. 3rd lesson 2nd half of backswing. 4th lesson start of downswing. 5th Finish. If you did a lesson every 3-4 weeks and practiced at home you could be up to the 4th by February and make real progress once spring starts.

Honestly, the only things in my current swing that work are the things my coach put there. But then again I'm basically new back to golf--I started out *terrible* and shooting a 150. It can only improve from there.

I get the "what works with my abilities" thing though for sure--I'm a fat guy and not very flexible. It's not like I'll ever have a Bubba backswing, so my coach is certainly working within those parameters. But really good ball contact is good ball contact, and there aren't too many different ways to get there. If you have a problem in your swing somewhere, guaranteed that (a) it's something you should fix, and (b) fixing it is going to be uncomfortable and weird until you take the time to get used to the change and groove it.

Right now I'm feeling that more than ever--I'm figuring out how to get my lower body activated in my swing. It turns out that's not just about hips--I'm having to mess with how far apart my feet are in my stance, what I'm doing with my legs in my backswing, my posture at address, and the posture I end up in at my follow-through. All of those things feel weird, but they're all necessary to get my hips doing what they're supposed to do, so my shoulders and arms can follow at the correct speed, and I can make ball-first contact with my hands in front of the club head instead of flipping. Every piece of a golf swing is connected, and I'm learning that frequently what I think needs to be tweaked isn't actually the thing that fixes the problem.
Maybe someone else can say it better, but a big part of the 'work with your swing' thing is that there's not one way to swing a club. Think about tour players and how different their swings look. Their swings are all great just through impact though - that's more or less the only place it really matters. Getting in "correct" other positions can make that happen better, etc., but some (most) of are never going to have those beautiful positions because our bodies don't or can't move that way.

...I'm learning that frequently what I think needs to be tweaked isn't actually the thing that fixes the problem.

Feel versus real. I've been there a dozen or more times in the past two years. What I like about my long term coach is that we talk about the feel I get when trying to incorporate change. When something works I keep that thought.

I've gone from slicing to pushing to hooking and am now working on straightening everything out. I may not be close, but I'm closer than I've ever been.

I was lucky to find a PGA Pro that has taught me how to swing MY swing, and not someone else's.

This! I had an instructor give me the weirdest look after I told him Tiger wouldn't be a good match to me for comparison, but I wouldn't mind Fred Funk.

Haven't had a lesson yet but did find the right guy. He gave one small instruction when on the range and I picked up 20yds! Swing like I mean it, haha. I always listened to all the guys the slice can be fixed by slowing down. Apparently I need to really swing at it and I get a nice draw.

I've kinda just stumbled upon a great local instructor a few months ago. He is the head pro at our local country club and rarely see him give lessons; However, once conversing with him I found he really knows the swing well. Some areas I had trouble deciphering off of watching videos of sending emails or calling pro's for help. But when someone physically shows you how it supposed to work it is way easier

for me it is all about communication in person. Not much demonstrating it, but more showing me by physically Putting me in the correct position. Tons of great teachers out there, but Inperson is really the way to do it

I agree with some of the others here. If it's your first lesson, the instructor will probably adjusting your basics like grip and posture. This will more than likely wreck your golf game for a few weeks until you adjust. You may want to wait.

Last edited:
I always think it's interesting how many people say "work with the swing I've got".

I understand making minor changes, and if you've had a great swing in the past you may just need someone to point out the thing you're missing to get back there. But I know like for me, I never had a good swing. I don't want somebody to "fix" my natural swing, my natural swing sucks. I want to learn a good swing, even though it's all kinds of uncomfortable and I hit worse mid-change.

I think you are taking the term too literally. It refers more to the fact that your body has unique features and limitations. Teaching you to swing like Bubba will more likely have tragic effects than get you to hit 140 yard lob wedges.

Last edited:
This! I had an instructor give me the weirdest look after I told him Tiger wouldn't be a good match to me for comparison, but I wouldn't mind Fred Funk.

Haven't had a lesson yet but did find the right guy. He gave one small instruction when on the range and I picked up 20yds! Swing like I mean it, haha. I always listened to all the guys the slice can be fixed by slowing down. Apparently I need to really swing at it and I get a nice draw.

I agree with this. Most of us are not physically capable of swinging like a pro or have the time to put in to achieve their results. They are much stronger and fit than most people realize.

Update: The lesson went really well today. Better than I could have expected. We started out by getting to know each other. I talked about my short and long term goals, what I was looking for in an instructor. He talked about his background, teaching style ,etc. We talked about how this was a trial run, and if things went well we would start lessons at the end of winter or early spring. Then he just watched me hit balls for a while, continuing the conversation. He knows I have an event in two weeks, so he would not be making any major changes or adjustments. He did say that my grip was fine right now, and wouldn't need changed in the spring. And, his philosophy is to work with MY swing, not completely tear things down and impose a new swing style. There are some things he would change in posture, but not until spring. He did point out that my head was down, and had me keep my chin up, which was a small adjustment, but produced really solid contact. Some of the best consistent contact I've had in a while. He looked at a few other small things, just quick pointers here and there, which was all I was looking for. The time went really fast, and was over before I knew it. I was offered the chance to hit balls after on my own, and it was one of the better range sessions I've had lately.

The facility is also really nice. Heated bays in the winter. The personal lesson areas are equipped with video, trackman, etc, if needed. Over 100 grass tees. 3 short game practice areas. Three different short 9 hole courses (100 yards and it). Also, only 25 minutes from home.

The other main objective for me was to see how my swing would hold up with an instructor watching (and judging) every shot. One thing I was worried about was going into the fitting at Callaway and "losing" my swing, and then the fitter wouldn't be able to fit me with the most optimal setup. I've never been to a true fitting before, let alone one like I'll be getting. I'm not worried about that at all, not one bit, after today. The guy today was impressed (who wouldn't be) with the Granddaddy, and said I would be fine at the fitting. He was excited to see how it went, want I was fit into, and to begin working with me in the spring.

Thanks to all that had given previous advice of what they looked for in an instructor, it gave me some ideas and things to ask about that I normally wouldn't, and made for a really productive first meeting. Feeling really good about where MY game is right now (and also where it can go to next year). I'm excited for what's to come in two weeks, and will continue playing golf and working on making sure I'm the best I can be for my team and this event. No letting up on preparation until the flight out there.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are on track now and had a great day.

Obviously having a laugh with the pro helps, and they have to be able to explain things to you in a way you can relate to.

I had a couple of lessons with a pro at The Belfry in the summer, liked the minor adjustments that he made so decided to work on rebuilding the swing from the beginning (tweaking the grip to be more neutral, changing take away and then shortening the swing and moving position at the top).

Being a techy person, I like the numbers and science and seeing how things affect it. For me, TrackMan and video are important. As is the fancy fitting bays at The Belfry :p

Maybe someone else can say it better, but a big part of the 'work with your swing' thing is that there's not one way to swing a club. Think about tour players and how different their swings look. Their swings are all great just through impact though - that's more or less the only place it really matters. Getting in "correct" other positions can make that happen better, etc., but some (most) of are never going to have those beautiful positions because our bodies don't or can't move that way.
Oh I'm fully aware of that, I'm a not terribly flexible fat guy. I'll never have a swing that looks like my coach (a 6'4" super skinny super flexible guy), much less any pro. However as I've gone through a year of lessons, I've realized that every time I tried doing something the "easy" way for my body, I was introducing a swing fault that I was compensating for somewhere else in my swing. The closer I get to a "proper" swing, the easier it is to hit the ball straight and far with good ball-first contact. I'm not talking about getting into exactly perfect positions either, but getting the fundamentals right. Good grip. Good setup. Good posture so you can rotate around your spine. Good takeaway at the right angle. Good tempo so you can control the club. Good swing plane. Good weight shift. That funky yoga bend you should be doing at impact. It all matters.

When I finally gave up and started just doing things exactly like my coach wanted, I found out that it's actually *easier* to swing and hit the ball well than it was when I was doing what I thought was "my" swing.

Friendly, Affordable, Video system, Launch monitor.

Someone who is friendly, can explain things in different ways so I can grasp the concept and reasoning for what we are changing, teaches me to understand my swing and where/why it breaks down

Someone who can/will get in my head and push me to work hard and do it right.

My instructor reaches out to me when he hasn't seen me in a couple weeks as he knows my work gets crazy and it causes me to slack off.

Someone who is friendly, can explain things in different ways so I can grasp the concept and reasoning for what we are changing, teaches me to understand my swing and where/why it breaks down

Someone who can/will get in my head and push me to work hard and do it right.

My instructor reaches out to me when he hasn't seen me in a couple weeks as he knows my work gets crazy and it causes me to slack off.
Nice one

I would like to add that working with people who are learning from the same instructor helps as well. They may have a different take on what the instructor is trying to relay. Plus they offer a good support group when things go real bad. I really had enough with online golf learning , but I found a few that relay what I'm looking for. For that I'm very happy , and once I found what I was looking for the results really started happening. Finding the right instructor / and a open minded student base is key.

The swing is too difficult to learn on your own. Working in a group has really helped me tremendously and I really enjoy helping others as well. Can't wait to tee it up again

What do you look for in a golf instructor/coach?

Update: The lesson went really well today. Better than I could have expected. We started out by getting to know each other. I talked about my short and long term goals, what I was looking for in an instructor. He talked about his background, teaching style ,etc. We talked about how this was a trial run, and if things went well we would start lessons at the end of winter or early spring. Then he just watched me hit balls for a while, continuing the conversation. He knows I have an event in two weeks, so he would not be making any major changes or adjustments. He did say that my grip was fine right now, and wouldn't need changed in the spring. And, his philosophy is to work with MY swing, not completely tear things down and impose a new swing style. There are some things he would change in posture, but not until spring. He did point out that my head was down, and had me keep my chin up, which was a small adjustment, but produced really solid contact. Some of the best consistent contact I've had in a while. He looked at a few other small things, just quick pointers here and there, which was all I was looking for. The time went really fast, and was over before I knew it. I was offered the chance to hit balls after on my own, and it was one of the better range sessions I've had lately.

The facility is also really nice. Heated bays in the winter. The personal lesson areas are equipped with video, trackman, etc, if needed. Over 100 grass tees. 3 short game practice areas. Three different short 9 hole courses (100 yards and it). Also, only 25 minutes from home.

The other main objective for me was to see how my swing would hold up with an instructor watching (and judging) every shot. One thing I was worried about was going into the fitting at Callaway and "losing" my swing, and then the fitter wouldn't be able to fit me with the most optimal setup. I've never been to a true fitting before, let alone one like I'll be getting. I'm not worried about that at all, not one bit, after today. The guy today was impressed (who wouldn't be) with the Granddaddy, and said I would be fine at the fitting. He was excited to see how it went, want I was fit into, and to begin working with me in the spring.

Thanks to all that had given previous advice of what they looked for in an instructor, it gave me some ideas and things to ask about that I normally wouldn't, and made for a really productive first meeting. Feeling really good about where MY game is right now (and also where it can go to next year). I'm excited for what's to come in two weeks, and will continue playing golf and working on making sure I'm the best I can be for my team and this event. No letting up on preparation until the flight out there.

This sounds so promising! I'm glad the meeting went well and it sounds like you are in good hands

I'm a big believer that in order to truly improve, you have to get an instructor that pushes for ideal positions and movements. Not necessarily a "tweak what you have". If what you have is garbage movements, you're just going to get garbage tweaks.

I look for an instructor who does the following:
- can identify what is wrong and in what sequence the faults need to be fixed, so that the player improves with every lesson
- helps you find the feel for what they want you to do
- gives you a couple of drills and 'checks' that you can use so you are doing them properly
- explains how these changes will fit into your swing and what exaggerations you want to avoid

Great - so perfectly stated!! I don't have a coach (never taken lessons but should) but about a year ago found a great coach for my 10yr son and have watched him work with my son. My son had a decent swing to start (I took him as far as I could) but it has been interesting as the coach figured out when/how to work on changes with my son - and it is clear based on the conversations I've had with him that he has a multi-year plan (including every now and then introducing concepts and techniques now that he plans to circle back to focus on next year, particularly with chipping). Worked first on small things in different parts of the swing and got to know my son. Then worked on changing his grip (his grip was far too strong)....worked through that pretty quickly.....worked with moving through the shot to a balanced finish.....now is turning to getting him over the ball more (getting the point of my son's shoulder out over his toes instead of mid-foot) and swinging more upright rather than around. Each change he has managed to sequence and explain to my son in the right way for him to get it so that it hasn't taken him too long to integrate. Would have figured that just changing the grip would take months but within a couple of weeks it was fully changed and my son's game was better than ever. All thanks to the way his coach approached it, took him through it, etc. Even the most recent change which changed posture, distance from the ball and swing plane, seemed to be explained in a way that within 15-20 minutes my son "got it" and was integrating it into his swing.

Watching this whole process has been really eye opening for me (and probably improved my swing as well) - just amazing what a coach who follows your 4 bullet points can achieve with a student. Finding the right coach who understood how to teach kids, didn't do too much all at once, is sequencing properly and knew how to explain what turned out to be major changes was the key - at no point did it seem to my son like he couldn't do it or feel it or integrate it and that takes some great teaching ability. After 9 months with the coach he took my son's game down 10 strokes (from the low 90s to 80) and by next summer will have hopefully set him up to shave another few strokes off by this time next year.

I do disagree with you on this one. For each change and as they are working through it, my son's coach takes him through slow-motion videos of my son's swing and side by side comparisons of other students (his college players) or pros and stops the video at different points to show body position, club angle, angle of shoulders, whatever they are working on. He has a good program on his laptop that can show side by sides and he can stop the swing easily at different points, draw on it, etc. For the latest swing plane change, he showed him videos of 3-4 different pros (including Spieth who is my son's favorite player). At least for my son, I believe that seeing the videos makes all the difference in the world as he can see what he is doing (such as the position of the club compared to his arms at the top) in the video of his swing and where it needs to be in the video next to it. It also helped to show my son across 3-4 different players that while their swings were not all the same, the part of the swing that the coach was focusing on with my son were all within a narrow variation the same for each. Sure, he isn't telling my son to "swing like the pro" but using pro swings as exemplars of different parts of the set-up, swing, etc. and seeing it puts it into a whole different perspective than merely describing it.

Back