JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
what does everyone use for green reading? A quick look? Plumb bobbing, aimpoint, or other? I am curious what people use and how it works for them. Myself, i’ve Been working with aimpoint express. Good results thus far and makes me more consistent in my reads.

Crouch behind the ball to determine my line. Will walk to the hole on more complicated longer putts and take a look from behind the hole back to the ball also.

Close my eyes and pray

Squat down for a moment behind the ball, visualize a line, stand up, putt. Very non-scientific. I just kind of “see” the line, and go with it.

basics of aimpoint express using feet and fingers, especially on sub 15-20 footers. I combine that with finding the fall line, I find that works very well on any quicker downhill putts. I also use a line on the ball and just focus on rolling that end over end after I do the other stuff. The line works well especially on short putts. I rarely miss short ones as long as I mark and go through my process.

I use the Golflogix app with putt breaks. It has every course near me mapped. Comes in very handy. I probably don't need it but it is nice to have.

Love Aimpoint, I wasn't terrible at reading greens but the confidence I have with my reads now has improved my putting quite a bit.

I was horrible at reading greens until Aimpoint Express. It has helped me understand breaks better in general and it flat out works.

I use the Golflogix app with putt breaks. It has every course near me mapped. Comes in very handy. I probably don't need it but it is nice to have.

Do they actually laser map the greens or is it more a general slope direction?

Do they actually laser map the greens or is it more a general slope direction?

I am not sure how they do it but it is pretty accurate. My guess is they is use the USGS GIS (or something similar) for the topo of the greens. It shows general slope but it also looks like a topo map with the spacing of the lines reflecting the severity of the slope.

I could see that being very useful on courses you are going in blind to, especially in judging ball reaction on approaches. Laser mapping probably isn't practical for the number of courses they have. Tempted to try in for a month just to see.

Aimpoint for me.

Love Aimpoint, I wasn't terrible at reading greens but the confidence I have with my reads now has improved my putting quite a bit.

Maybe a little lesson in Scottsdale? :golf3:

AimPoint Express. I've had AE 1&2, Speed. Once you get the system down, it gets faster. I'm attempting to get faster, another reason I took another class from a different instructor. Getting a different perspective. Since Mark Sweeney changes the system on the fly, I joined the facebook group.

The eyes play too many tricks on you and do not give sufficient information.

AimPoint Express. I've had AE 1&2, Speed. Once you get the system down, it gets faster. I'm attempting to get faster, another reason I took another class from a different instructor. Getting a different perspective. Since Mark Sweeney changes the system on the fly, I joined the facebook group.

The eyes play too many tricks on you and do not give sufficient information.

With all that said, has it been worth the training so to speak?

basics of aimpoint express using feet and fingers, especially on sub 15-20 footers. I combine that with finding the fall line, I find that works very well on any quicker downhill putts. I also use a line on the ball and just focus on rolling that end over end after I do the other stuff. The line works well especially on short putts. I rarely miss short ones as long as I mark and go through my process.

...and hit the ball hard enough. (Lol. Sorry, I had to.)

On greens I’m familiar with I’ll take a look from behind the ball. On other courses I’ll do a quick walk around the hole to get a feel for uphill/downhill or how it might break...I’ll do this while others are reading their putts

I get low as I can to read. If a bunker or low point behind the ball is there...I get in it . My best reads come from the low side looking up, I see more grass from a better vantage point.

Another newbie question - what's aimpoint? Is it an app or a system of some kind?

Maybe a little lesson in Scottsdale? :golf3:

I don't think it would be anything worthwhile, the guy that taught me was a hell of a lot smarter than me.

Another newbie question - what's aimpoint? Is it an app or a system of some kind?

It's a system of reading slope/break that a lot of people swear by. ntanygd760, who I play with, uses it to good effect. Goggle will bring up a million hits. Lydia Ko uses it still, I believe.

The system is based on the premise that for a particular slope and speed the ball will always break the same amount since gravity is constant.

With the system, you use your feet to determine the slope of the green. You will know the speed of the green based some prior evaluation. Given those two pieces of information you can then calculate/determine the amount of break for that putt

Get a spirit level. Leave everything else up to chance...

It's a system of reading slope/break that a lot of people swear by. ntanygd760, who I play with, uses it to good effect. Goggle will bring up a million hits. Lydia Ko uses it still, I believe.

When I get the ball all the way to the hole:alien:

Back