Lift, clean, and place: When do you play?

Same here

My home course is typically wet and they have a daily tee sheet update on the rules for the day - LCP is always addressed. Normally not in play but always addressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always play it down if i'm counting it to my cap fun rounds i'll do whatever

My home course is typically wet and they have a daily tee sheet update on the rules for the day - LCP is always addressed. Normally not in play but always addressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't get a ton of rain here, so I guess it's never really addressed.

When there's mud balls and the ground is squishy we play winter rules, and it applies to the whole flight especially when there's betting. Place should be at most grip length. It's prone to abuse though. I saw a caddie walk seven paces forward to place his player's ball.

In my home course where there's almost zero maintenance, I play alone with winter rules when the fairways haven't been mown and the fairways are almost as thick as rough.

What course has signs for it? I've never played a course that has signs specifically for LCP rules.

My home course always puts signs out and they will tell you when you sign in as well when it applies which is very rare. Has to really be super wet.

In the PNW we play lift, clean and place from October through the end of May. Fairway or rough. It can be muddy in either place. June - Sept is summer rules. You can still find a nice clod of mud on your ball in May on many courses in the area depending upon the weather. Reporting season ends November 15 through Mar 15 so who cares what you do during that period.

When it's muddy.

if the balls are plugging in the fairway and it's decided upon, then I have no problem with L.C.P.

This. I haven't played LCP in the last decade but living in one of the 10 sunniest cities in the US, I have only played 4 or 5 rounds in the rain in that time.

When there's mud balls and the ground is squishy we play winter rules, and it applies to the whole flight especially when there's betting. Place should be at most grip length. It's prone to abuse though. I saw a caddie walk seven paces forward to place his player's ball.

In my home course where there's almost zero maintenance, I play alone with winter rules when the fairways haven't been mown and the fairways are almost as thick as rough.

I agree with this. I play mostly casual golf either by myself or with a friend at a course with lots of bare or muddy fairways and I always play "winter rules". Whenever we have mud on a ball which is frequent, we clean it. Understandable if money on the line or playing a tournament or with strangers that issue would have to be clarified

I played a round with a friend on Sunday that began in a torrential down pour. The ground was just slop from a few hours of rain. Hard, dry dirt under the grass makes for a lot of standing water when you get a burst of heavy rain, so we both agreed we would play lift, clean, and place. I have never done this before and after about 6 holes the sun was out, and it no longer seemed necessary.

Considering that most of us aren't playing in governed events, how do you determine when you'll play this way? Do you include your playing partners in the decision process, or do you just make the call on your own?

Never have except in a couple of rare instances when it was specified in a tournament because of poor conditions. I've never declared it for a casual round I've played, and even a couple of times with a wager on and the other guys were used preferred lies, I chose not to. Unless the conditions are really bad, I haven't seen it make much real difference in play or scoring. I usually get in the worst situations where I'd really need it when I'm not in the fairway, so I couldn't use it anyway.

Reporting season ends November 15 through Mar 15 so who cares what you do during that period.

My sentiments exactly. Why would it matter during this time period? Posting scores would be irrelevant and not a true reflection of your handicap. This time of year, I am lucky to get out to just swing and practice (even if I can depending on the weather), so I would lift, clean & place Everywhere regardless of what the rest of my group was doing. Now, if there is some cash on the line, that's a different story. There would have to be some agreement among the entire group as to what/how we play it.

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought

Actually I lift clean and place in casual rounds year round if there's mud on the ball. I'll admit it. I'm not playing for money. I'm not playing in a tournament. I'm playing for my own enjoyment. There's no USGA rules official looking over my shoulder. In league play it's different. I go by what the league decides.

When I'm not playing on TV. I don't keep an official 'cap, and competitions I play in are all of the bump and rake variety anyway. I've got no problem playing it down when course conditions are good, but rarely do I play on conditions anywhere near as good as PGA setups. No need to make the game any harder than it already is.

Usually if it has been raining for days, but only on fairway and fringe. Greens are always lcp. Never in the rough during the money games even if there is 5lbs of mud stuck to it. Now some local courses that are sparse on rough will do lcp in casual rounds.

We call it winter rules around here and cart path only is a good rule of thumb. I don't know if my club addresses this or not, but I always do to my group before we tee off.

I rolled my ball today. It was fun.
So the $500 question should be. ... did you or do you play better/worse/same when rolling the ball?
If you say yes, do you post that score? Meaning if someone were to play winter rules all year long and their handicap is lower than it truly should be? Wouldn't that hurt them in the long run if they played tournament level where handicaps matter?
Just askin

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Actually I lift clean and place in casual rounds year round if there's mud on the ball. I'll admit it. I'm not playing for money. I'm not playing in a tournament. I'm playing for my own enjoyment. There's no USGA rules official looking over my shoulder. In league play it's different. I go by what the league decides.
^^^^^ ditto. When I start getting paid to golf instead of paying to play then maybe I'll change.

Got to go with a @goodearth on this one ... as a weekend hacker, if I have a glob of mud on the ball, I am cleaning it.

Once Ghin is closed for the season it is open season on lift,clean and place.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The course my buddy and I mainly play at puts a notice on the bulletin board for when LCP is in place. This really only applies to their club events though.

Back