2018 Houston Open

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last year it was won by Russell Henley. Week before the Masters and its tune up time. Get those THP Fantasy Golf lineups set.

This is usually a great event to watch. I love how they purposely have it setup to give the players a tune up to what they'll face at Augusta. I need a good week in fantasy this week, that match play killed me!

I need to do well this week for sure! I'm sitting at #12 right now with the Masters in under 2 weeks, I'd like to be a lot closer than 2m to the leader...

Has anyone ever won the Houston Open then won the Masters?

Got served a big slice of humble pie last week at the match play. Need a solid fantasy outing this week.

Mickelson, though not in the same year.

ETA - And Adam Scott, Vijay Singh, Fred Couples (though also not in the same years)

ETA 2 - Arnold Palmer and Byron Nelson, but it was played on different courses during their wins.

This will be the last year of Houston being the week before the Masters. Starting next year, it will be the San Antonio tournament.

Mickelson won the Bell South back when it was played the week prior to the masters, and then the masters the following week in 2006. Houston Open took over that spot in 2007.

This will be the last year of Houston being the week before the Masters. Starting next year, it will be the San Antonio tournament.

Texas Open right? Lots of changes going in to place next year.

Exactly.

What's weird about this year in Houston is that there is no title sponsor. If they don't get a sponsor going forward, I doubt this tournament is on the 2019 schedule.

Exactly.

What's weird about this year in Houston is that there is no title sponsor. If they don't get a sponsor going forward, I doubt this tournament is on the 2019 schedule.

Locally they are pushing hard to find a sponsor and one of the reasons it’s getting bumped from the week before the Masters.

They have enough reserves to cover the purse and all the hospitality that goes with putting on a tour event, but without a major sponsor this might be the last year for a while which is sad because this is a great test for the players. Many have said the course conditions that they see gets them as close to Augusta as it can.

They could move the Houston Open to Bluejack. That will likely be the only way I ever see that course in person!

Locally they are pushing hard to find a sponsor and one of the reasons it’s getting bumped from the week before the Masters.

They have enough reserves to cover the purse and all the hospitality that goes with putting on a tour event, but without a major sponsor this might be the last year for a while which is sad because this is a great test for the players. Many have said the course conditions that they see gets them as close to Augusta as it can.

I hope they get a sponsor, I used to volunteer at the tournament when I lived in Spring when it was still being played at the TPC Woodlands, it was the Independent Insurance Agents open before it became the Shell Houston Open. I used to have blast Marshaling out there. It would be a shame to see the tournament end after all these years.

I hope they get a sponsor, I used to volunteer at the tournament when I lived in Spring when it was still being played at the TPC Woodlands, it was the Independent Insurance Agents open before it became the Shell Houston Open. I used to have blast Marshaling out there. It would be a shame to see the tournament end after all these years.

Agree. I’ve volunteered a few years and always had fun. The community supports it too.

I hope it doesn’t go away too. My first PGA tournament viewing experience was at the TPC-Woodlands, back in the mid to late ‘80s. Growing up in SE Texas, my high school team even got to play there a couple of times.

It seemed as if they always had a top “named” field there and even some that were headed to the Senior Tour back then.

Very fond memories of my teenage years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard this on the Shackhouse podcast this morning. I understand the business side, but it seems like a terrible idea for the golfers, as the course will not resemble Augusta in the slightest. Might be a big dropoff in the leading players competing that week. But I guess the Texas Open rarely draws any big names anyway.

Let it go back to Sugarloaf. Not going to get much closer to Augusta than right down I20.

Picks made last night. Only went with one heavy hitter, Spieth. Everyone else just keep me afloat in the Top 20 then it's time to bring down the house at Augusta.

I was out there yesterday before the monsoon hit. The course was in fantastic shape, but it always is for the tournament. I took my son to follow Spieth because he couldn't get his autograph last year and he wanted a chance for it this year. He got it so he was a happy kid yesterday. We followed Spieth from his start on 10 through his tee shot on 15. His play looked really solid. We also stopped for a moment to watch Stenson smash his 3 wood on 18 and watched Phil and a few others on the range for a little bit in the morning.

We'll be back Friday and Sunday and the weather is supposed to be perfect for the rest of the week now that the rain has stopped.

Let it go back to Sugarloaf. Not going to get much closer to Augusta than right down I20.

I’m all in on this comment. But they’d likely have to drop the champions tour event that it hosts the week after the masters...and I think they signed it through 2020.

Rickie is hitting hte ball well.

I’m all in on this comment. But they’d likely have to drop the champions tour event that it hosts the week after the masters...and I think they signed it through 2020.

I'd imagine a PGA event would bring in more revenue than a Champions Tour event, but its all a matter of finding a sponsor. AT&T had like two other tournaments when they took over the BellSouth Classic, so it was a no brainer they had to drop at least one. A shame they dropped the Master's tune up. Lefty won there and then the following week at Augusta, and Zach Johnson won there the next year when they moved it to May, after winning at Augusta.

Tried something different with my roster this week. Going with the top 4 big guns & the minimum limit of golfers.

Glover with 5 straight birdies to tie Garrigus for the lead at -5 through 10 holes.

G Lover is coming back from the dead! Love seeing that, I like watching him play.

Back