Leupold GX-5i3 Range Finder

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was announced last year, but it was priced a bit high for some to really pay attention to. I got a chance to test it out with Leupold over the last couple of days and have come away pretty impressed.

From the company
This is the Rolls Royce of rangefinders. It’s the MacDaddy. It’s the bee’s knees. It’s, well, you get the idea. The Leupold GX-5i3 is the top-of-the-line golf rangefinder that boasts more than a dozen features and unsurpassed accuracy on the golf course. With the GX-5i3, you’ll be able to know exactly how far away you are from any point on the hole and be confident in what club is going to get you there. Rain, fog, or hilly terrain? That’s the other guy’s problem. Those obstacles won’t stand in your way with the GX-5i3. Let’s find out how what separates this rangefinder from all the others.

Simply put, what sets the GX-5i3 apart is the use of Digitally eNhanced Accuracy (DNA). With this, your rangefinder sports a high performance engine that provides the fastest and most accurate measurements using an incredibly precise laser. Just how accurate is it? With DNA, you’ll experience readings displayed to the nearest 1/10 of a yard.

Of course, with such a fully loaded rangefinder, the GX-5i3 also boasts True Golf Range (TGR). In short, this is another name for the slope feature you find on other rangefinders. With True Golf Range (TGR), the GX-5i3 compensates for uphill shots that play long and downhill shots that play short. TGR is calculated from the line of sight distance, and gives the golfer an adjusted range to the pin taking into account an incline or decline.

And after perfectly calculating the necessary distance, the GX-5i3 doesn’t stop there. With the Club Selector feature, your device will provide club recommendations based on a golfer’s hitting strength, slope and current environmental conditions (which we’ll talk more about in just a bit).

Fog Mode is definitely one of the more underrated features on the GX-5i3. Be sure to use this under rainy or foggy conditions, as it will screen out false readings caused by rain or other weather interference, keeping your readings as accurate as possible. You can find Fog Mode under the “MODE” button on the GX-5i3 device.

Another set of factors that will help improve the GX-5i3’s accuracy is inputting the day’s temperature and altitude on the course. By inputting that data into the rangefinder, the device increases its accuracy and helps the golfer be even more confident with each swing. Ideally, this data needs to be put in by golfers who live in one geographical area but happen to be traveling to play golf in a drastically different one. If you’re golfing around the same local area each time, don’t worry about this. The GX-5i3 gets to know the courses and habits of the golfer and will continue to give the most precise readings.

Features:

6x magnification
CR2 Lithium Battery
Club Selector
Digitally Enhanced Accuracy (DNA) Golf
Fog Mode
Fold Down Rubber Eyecups
Fully Multi-coated Lens System
OLED Display
One-touch Scan Mode
PinHunter Laser Technology
Prism Lock Technology
True Golf Range (TGR)
Waterproof

IMG_8399-L.jpg

Wow, talk about feature packed. Love the idea of it learning about the golfer and recommending club to use.

Saw it mentioned that it was released earlier but priced too high for many....so what is the price now?

I am in the market for a new range finder this year and this one will be one I look at. I will admit, it is going to come down to what I can buy at wholesale price with the features I want through my sporting goods connection.

Thanks for the information rematch be review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely packed with a ton of great features. Sounds I could have used the fog mode the other day negate the sprinklers my range finder was picking up instead of the pin.

Wow. I've started to look around as I'm kind of tired of using my phone app for gps. This one sound incredible. Feature after feature. I will probably start out with something a little more entry level as I've never even used a range finder before, but this one would be awesome to see with all the extras built in. Very cool.

Definitely packed with a ton of great features. Sounds I could have used the fog mode the other day negate the sprinklers my range finder was picking up instead of the pin.

Yeah fog mode sounds interesting wonder how that works?

• Admin
Wow, talk about feature packed. Love the idea of it learning about the golfer and recommending club to use.

Saw it mentioned that it was released earlier but priced too high for many....so what is the price now?

It is priced around $550.

• Admin
Wow. I've started to look around as I'm kind of tired of using my phone app for gps. This one sound incredible. Feature after feature. I will probably start out with something a little more entry level as I've never even used a range finder before, but this one would be awesome to see with all the extras built in. Very cool.

Check out Precision Pro for something more entry level price wise, without the lack of features.

That is a ton of features packed into this unit. I’ve gotten really accustomed to my watch, but given its limitations I find myself wanting a rangefinder more and more.

I need to read more about this one and the Bushnell Hybrid that is coming and pick one.

This thing is absolutely packed! Price point isn't too crazy compared to the top of the Bushnell line. I'm curious how they get the club selector tool to work for a wide variety of golfers.

Leupold GX-5i3 Range Finder

Wow....this has tons of features but my guess in Canada it will be north of $800 CAD. Too rich for my blood but sounds pretty awesome.

Update- Golfworks Canada is selling these for $550 CAD, surprised pleasantly no exchange update as typically 30-35% from US MSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Check out Precision Pro for something more entry level price wise, without the lack of features.
I've been looking into rangefinders. This suggestion helps. Money isn't necessarily an object right now, but my lack of prowess scares me into going cheaper sometimes. Thanks for the review and this suggestion

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've been looking into rangefinders. This suggestion helps. Money isn't necessarily an object right now, but my lack of prowess scares me into going cheaper sometimes. Thanks for the review and this suggestion

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can even get them on Budget Golf with the THP discount.

To be honest I didn't know they were still making advances and new models or if they were in the market still. Sounds like a good device. I'm surprised the styling hasn't changed much over time.

This thing is absolutely packed! Price point isn't too crazy compared to the top of the Bushnell line. I'm curious how they get the club selector tool to work for a wide variety of golfers.
I have the Leupold 2i3 which has the club selector tool - It's spot on in selecting a club based on all the variables.
Mine has temp and elevation modes which I'm sure this one has as well. My also beeps when the laser bounces back from a flag stick that has reflectors on them.
I couldn't be happier with my Leupold.

I have the Leupold 2i3 which has the club selector tool - It's spot on in selecting a club based on all the variables.
Mine has temp and elevation modes which I'm sure this one has as well. My also beeps when the laser bounces back from a flag stick that has reflectors on them.
I couldn't be happier with my Leupold.

Very cool that it works for you! I am wondering how it comes to the club selection, though, as a 7 iron for myself isn't the same distance as maybe your 7 iron. Is there some sort of programming you have to do or GPS in the device? Does it learn over time or what?

Very cool that it works for you! I am wondering how it comes to the club selection, though, as a 7 iron for myself isn't the same distance as maybe your 7 iron. Is there some sort of programming you have to do or GPS in the device? Does it learn over time or what?

Here is from a page of the instructions:
a1a93a19c2b7c27a217e4ea530f41b08.jpg

Now that is pretty darn cool! Given you can provide accurate information there, that sort of information could be invaluable. Thanks for posting that.

To be honest, the Leupold's are so sophisticated, it's really like holding a computer in your hand.

Was listening to Michael Breed talk about this the other day. Sounds like a pretty interesting device with the Club Selector feature. That's something that would be really interesting to test out.

This makes my current rangefinder seem obsolete. Might have to keep my eye out for one of these. Thanks for the detailed information JB!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This thing sounds like a beast. Fog mode also sounds nice, there’s plenty of times being the first tee time that the first few holes are still fogged up.

The tech in this one is pretty neat. I heard about it on Michael Breed's PGA Tour Radio show. He usually gives one away once a week. It would be fun to try out but I am beyond content and happy with my Bushnell Tour X at the moment.

Holy smokes that's a lot of features. Realistically I doubt I would use half of them but I love the fog/rain feature. The price is a little tough to swallow but if you use all of the features it may be worth it.

The 4i2 that I have (I think that is the model) had some of this. You could put in elevation and temp and it would adjust club distances. I have had mine for 5+ years now I think and it was expensive then (think I paid $400) but it is still going strong so it has been more than worth it.

Also, Leupold customer service is second to none (I have yet to have a problem but have heard it from numerous others) so they stand behind that expensive price tag.

Back