The Tiger Woods Golf Ball from Bridgestone Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting move. He wins next week, these will sell like crazy.

People will buy it just because it has his name on it.

Ah. So that explains the questions a few weeks back about playing a ball with a players logo on it ;)

I get that they're donating a portion of proceeds, which is very nice. However I personally would not be looking to pay a premium for a ball just because of a player's name or logo on it. Just my own $0.02.

Bold strategy cotton, let’s see if it pays off for ’em.

giphy.gif

I mean... they have lost the plot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about that. Some people will buy them I’m sure. I’m not overly impressed with this, but it will definitely move some product.

• Admin
Bold strategy cotton, let’s see if it pays off for ’em.

giphy.gif

I like the idea of putting his name and likeness on the ball.
I dont like hte idea of doing it while the same ball is around 40% cheaper.

So wait, was the unmarketing of Tiger just an opinion from outsiders or was is communicated from Bridgestone that they will not be marketing him? The way i took the first thread was that Bridgestone themselves said they were done marketing him. And if thats the case, what the hell is this? Im all for Tiger everything and will probably buy one just to keep the box in the mancave, but holy crap this is fad marketing at its finest and its really hard to respect this move

Exactly. I'd rather have BigTime on the ball personally. :D

People will buy it just because it has his name on it.

Interesting. See that's exactly why I wouldn't play it. Why would I want to play a ball with someone else's name on it?

Lets see, a standard Tour B XS for $39 or stamped with TIGER for $45....doesn't move my needle.

Why not? Every other marketing arena is probably doing it too with commercial time costing more, ticket pricing (secondary market), parking pricing...If theres a dollar to be made, theyll make it

So wait, was the unmarketing of Tiger just an opinion from outsiders or was is communicated from Bridgestone that they will not be marketing him? The way i took the first thread was that Bridgestone themselves said they were done marketing him. And if thats the case, what the hell is this? Im all for Tiger everything and will probably buy one just to keep the box in the mancave, but holy crap this is fad marketing at its finest and its really hard to respect this move

See the article (its linked in this one). It was said in there that the edict of not using him, was lifted or was about to be lifted right at publishing.

I mean, the move is getting attention and any pub is good pub. I am sure some will go for it based on the novelty or Tiger aspect. I don't think there's many other golfers that this would work with, but Tiger might be one if the only. The price jump, though, is going to be of debate (donation to foundation helps).

Thinking they will probably get a little bump with the Tiger ball because of the novelty. Long term though, I see people saving the extra money and buying the same ball without the Tiger stamp.

Why not? Every other marketing arena is probably doing it too with commercial time costing more, ticket pricing (secondary market), parking pricing...If theres a dollar to be made, theyll make it

My reasoning is a bit long, but to keep it brief, I would say this. Your new product is on promotion already for 2 for 70, but about to go back up at the end of next month to $45. At $45, this being $50, my opinion is those on the fence jump on it. With it being $35 a dozen, these being $50, I think you are going to have a tougher sell both with these and when the product goes back up. They ran their promotion too early and should have gone after this launch.

See the article. It was said in there that the edict of not using him, was lifted or was about to be lifted right at publishing.

Oh i read the article and followed the thread closely because I thought all of the different opinions were....interesting.... but to save cost on the principle of morals and then as soon as he comes out of nowhere sweeping the golf world they decide that eh what he did in the past wasnt so bad lets put him on a box of balls and cash in real quick. Annoying

First off, it seems Bridgestone is lacking not only in the marketing but design dept. as well, that box looks like someone fresh off of a photoshop tutorial designed it. Anyhow, the ball idea is a good one, any way they can use Tiger they should. I think people will pay for it knowing that a portion of the proceeds goes to his foundation.

My reasoning is a bit long, but to keep it brief, I would say this. Your new product is on promotion already for 2 for 70, but about to go back up at the end of next month to $45. At $45, this being $50, my opinion is those on the fence jump on it. With it being $35 a dozen, these being $50, I think you are going to have a tougher sell both with these and when the product goes back up. They ran their promotion too early and should have gone after this launch.

This I agree with. But again, doesnt it kinda fall in line with their recent history?

Oh i read the article and followed the thread closely because I thought all of the different opinions were....interesting.... but to save cost on the principle of morals and then as soon as he comes out of nowhere sweeping the golf world they decide that eh what he did in the past wasnt so bad lets put him on a box of balls and cash in real quick. Annoying

Sadly I dont think the golf division had any say in that matter, but do in this one. This has been planned for a bit now, but I agree on the timing. Although if that article doesn't come out and people still believed the company is coming off of some record year, this comes off as Masters timing. My personal take is most golfers (not core golfers) will view it as that.

First off, it seems Bridgestone is lacking not only in the marketing but design dept. as well, that box looks like someone fresh off of a photoshop tutorial designed it. Anyhow, the ball idea is a good one, any way they can use Tiger they should. I think people will pay for it knowing that a portion of the proceeds goes to his foundation.

It's a trend we have seen from them, great planning but lack in execution a bit. And what some are forgetting is this is still a great line of golf balls! However, they are basically making this a $15 increase over current promotion and that might be a hard sell. Now, if he wins at Augusta or is even in contention, these might get a good boost.

Interesting to say the least. I will not be paying full retail for them but if I find one I'll at least know what it is..lol!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is what I take issue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back