Bubba Watson's Club Specs-to the tenth of a degree

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
DRIVER:[FONT=cooper_hewittbook] Ping G400 LST (Grafalloy BiMatrx), 7.6 degrees[/FONT]
WEDGES:
[FONT=cooper_hewittbook] Ping Glide 2.0 (51.6, 55.3, 62.8 degrees)
[/FONT]
3-WOOD:[FONT=cooper_hewittbook] Ping G, 13.2 degrees[/FONT][FONT=cooper_hewittbook]
[/FONT]
IRONS (2):[FONT=cooper_hewittbook] Ping iBlade; [/FONT](4-PW):[FONT=cooper_hewittbook] Ping S55
[/FONT]
[FONT=cooper_hewittbook]
Just curious if he would notice a difference if his clubs were off .10 degrees. Wonder what his iron specs are?

[/FONT]

Him? Sure.

Those guys are freaks, remember, Ted Williams knew how much a mound was off by eyeballing it, and was RIGHT.

Mere mortals like us? No way in hell.

Bubba is just crazy anyways. Irons set to 10* open. 15 tape wraps under his bottom hand, 13 on the top it goes on and on. I love that guy LOL

I agree with Jman. A tenth or a degree or 1/2 swing weight is very rattling to those guys and indiscernable to us mere mortals.

I remember being in NYC and Tiger talking about driver testing and telling the club crew that the toe on this driver was a little too "soft", not by much, but just off. They swore that it was the same as his current driver he had been playing. Brought both in for testing to compare and sure enough the new driver was toe side was off by something crazy like 1/2 a millimeter.

I would guess he tried a bunch of different heads out of the tour van that had been digitally checked and those are just the numbers they ended up being. Which doesn't specifically mean he'll search for those exact lofts in the next heads. It's just the subtle manufacturing differences in loft, CG, and MOI that don't mean much to us but make a difference to tour players. Which could change the loft a tenth or two in the next heads.

To answer your question though, he may notice a tenth with everything else being the same. But it all works together so a tenth more loft in another head that the CG is a bit different in would probably go unnoticed.

My first thought was I wonder if Bryson D knows and does this too. Starting to like his game more and more each week.

I would say that some of the more cerebral guys would definitely know the difference. Just seems to me that Bubba comes across as a little more flakey, and a little bit more of a feel then technical guy, to know the difference.

I am sure that the pros are incredibly intimate and sensitive with their equipment. Whatever works for them, go for it!

No doubt he could

They did a blindfold test on him I read somewhere a few years ago. The results were incredible. I dont think he got a single club wrong. Tiger is known for knowing club head size down to the .001 supposedly. I think it was Mickelson who can tell the loft and lie angle down to the .01 degree just by feel and flight. Theyre pretty damn good for a reason. Of course its no different than someone in a regular profession who develops a certain sixth sense about what they do. Over the years I have become really good at seeing things perfectly level or on a particular angle or even measurements. I guess when you look at levels and squares and tape measures all day it becomes second nature. I told my buddy the other day that the left rear of his car looked 1/4" lower than the right. He said no way, measured it and sure enough it was.

These guys also hit thousands and thousands of balls a week. They're going to see and feel some of these differences that we wouldn't, just from being used to certain feels etc. Once they get down to some of these really small percentages, it gets a little crazy but they're also some of the best on the planet at what they do.

I know I've personally gotten better at knowing what the grooveless toe feels like on my wedges, so I'm pretty certain I could tell you what's more forgiving than the other.

#FeelPlayer

Back