Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Not sure if you went to Shea or the 101 location, but I would not trust their LM one bit.

That amount of rollout isnt unheard of.

It was the new one on Mayo off the 101. When you say that amount of rollout isn't unheard of, do you mean on a monitor or in reality? Are their LMs out of whack with all data points?

I see from your signature that you're playing the same irons, albeit a slightly different shaft. Do you have any issues with not being able to hold greens with mid irons? How are you liking the new CF16s?

Thanks

It was the new one on Mayo off the 101. When you say that amount of rollout isn't unheard of, do you mean on a monitor or in reality? Are their LMs out of whack with all data points?

In reality. All depends on a lot of factors.

i had a fitting at the annika academy at reunion resort today. although i wasn't looking to hit irons, we had some time so i hit the cf 16 and apex pro 16 both in 7i. the cf 16 had px 5.5, standard l/l/l and we compared the results to my gamer j15 df 7i with dg pro r300. i don't have the numbers from the pro, but they weren't great with about 10y less of carry.

here are my numbers from my gamer, which came out to what i expect on the course:
chs 81.2mph
bs 115.8mph
launch 18.8*
back spin 4,756rpm
side spin -494rpm
carry 173y
efficiency 95%

here are my numbers from the cf 16:
chs 82.2mph
bs 116.8mph
launch 19.8*
back spin 4,321rpm
side -441rpm
carry 178y
efficiency 95%

i was extremely impressed with the cf 16. as someone who despises thick, gi irons, these are anything but. i could game these tomorrow and be thrilled. more distance, higher launch, tighter dispersion. yes please. feel was every bit as good as my gamers, but with extra forgiveness. fantastic sticks.

The only thing that worries me about these irons is the spin numbers. 4321 spin with a 7 iron is extremely low and I would expect quite a bit of roll out on firm fast greens. That would concern me due to the fact my home course has firm undulating greens and I need a club that creates enough spin to land and stop pretty quickly.

Has anyone been having issues with low spin and the ball releasing pretty far.

The only thing that worries me about these irons is the spin numbers. 4321 spin with a 7 iron is extremely low and I would expect quite a bit of roll out on firm fast greens. That would concern me due to the fact my home course has firm undulating greens and I need a club that creates enough spin to land and stop pretty quickly.

Not at all. In fact the ball pretty much lands where it stops. I agree 4700 is quite low, and caeleric was hitting the driver and only getting about 1200 RPMs I believe. In our testing, we have not seen those type of numbers on FlightScope, but if we did, it would be a concern.

i don't have launch monitor numbers but from on course results I haven't seen any significant roll out. Ball doesn't go to far from it's mark on the green.

Thanks emart and JB. I don't mind low spin as long as my launch angle and descent angles are good. So far on a GC2 I've seen pretty good numbers. I like these irons and will give them a shot. Callaway sent me the Apex Pro's to demo and comment on them but I am not a fan of the Pro's but like the CF16's a lot.

I only have 4 rounds with these but see no issues with roll out. In fact with the XP95 I'm getting a higher ball flight and better results on our firm greens than I did with the XRp's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fwiw I rarely ever have issues stopping anything shorter than 5i on firm greens when I make decent contact. not sure if my indoor swing off mats differs from my swing on grass? and the balls I was using were chromesoft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some swings in with these this morning and once again came away with the same thoughts. Really good at getting the ball up, fantastic forgiveness laterally and in a package that is quite slim compared to similar offerings out there. They feel fantastic at impact and give you a certain confidence as you stand over the ball.

I think these are what I am most excited for in a couple of weeks. Interested to see my options from a shaft perspective. I am hoping the Recoil 110s give me good numbers like they did at the UST event. Graphite has always really intrigued me.

I think these are what I am most excited for in a couple of weeks. Interested to see my options from a shaft perspective. I am hoping the Recoil 110s give me good numbers like they did at the UST event. Graphite has always really intrigued me.

I am loving them in my Apex Pro 16's.

Why Recoils over steel? Feel? Help getting ball high?

Why Recoils over steel? Feel? Help getting ball high?

Feel is the biggest reason. The fact I can get something that is easier on the joints, feels smoother, but with the heft of a steel shaft is very intriguing to me.

Recoil 95's or something similar will be in mine based on my history with them. Just a great shaft and no need to go steel for me when Recoils perform just as well IMO

Feel is the biggest reason. The fact I can get something that is easier on the joints, feels smoother, but with the heft of a steel shaft is very intriguing to me.

I was curious about all those reasons when starting the fitting process. My fitter pretty much dismissed graphite for me based on how high I already hit the ball (at least that's the impression I got). Maybe I need to go try them anyway.

Love my CF16 and Recoil 110's. I bet you will as well

Recoil 95's or something similar will be in mine based on my history with them. Just a great shaft and no need to go steel for me when Recoils perform just as well IMO

Not to stray too far OT here, but I never even gave graphite a second glance.. I was the guy who thought I needed 120+ gram shafts, and Steel was what I needed, but the 110s really opened my eyes. As soon as I found a club on the range with the 110s I hit it over and over and over again.

I was curious about all those reasons when starting the fitting process. My fitter pretty much dismissed graphite for me based on how high I already hit the ball (at least that's the impression I got). Maybe I need to go try them anyway.

FWIW I am getting similar launch from my recoils as I was my tour v's. Absolutely no ballooning.

This is surprising to me (your fitter). But, sadly, graphite does still carry some connotations of being nothing but high flight and light for some.

This is surprising to me (your fitter). But, sadly, graphite does still carry some connotations of being nothing but high flight and light for some.

yup it's an education process. Not cheap and it will take time.

Can someone post the differences (quick summary) between the Recoil 660, 760, and 110? I've read the blurbs on Callaway's and Mamiya's web sites, but I'm looking for some info from people that have some experience. Using Mamiya's fitting, the 660 was suggested, which is also what I hit at PGASS. I currently play a Cobra Amp Cell which has a Dynalite 90 in it. 7 iron swing speed is about 85.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Based on what you all are saying, I'm surprised too.

This guy is at a store that is rated a top 100 fitter by Golf Digest (I think), and the guy used to help run the Callaway fitting truck(s) on tour.

I've said it about 100 times already, but these really are my most anticipated club(s) for #TheGrandaddy. Namely getting fit again for length and lie, because honestly, I think both need to change from when I was last fit, length in particular.

Where shafts are concerned, I'm just going to let it ride with the expert fitters there as well.

I've said it about 100 times already, but these really are my most anticipated club(s) for #TheGrandaddy. Namely getting fit again for length and lie, because honestly, I think both need to change from when I was last fit, length in particular.

Where shafts are concerned, I'm just going to let it ride with the expert fitters there as well.
I'm right there with you. I know drivers are usually the sexy club in the bag, but having irons that are so dang good really has me jonesing for some cup faced goodness. I can guarantee these are longer than my DPCs, and with more forgiveness so I can't wait to see where these end up when properly fit.

Back