Country Club Membership vs. Public Golf

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
Any folks out there considering joining a CC? My buddy joined one and says it's way cheaper than public golf. Keep in mind I'm in SoCal...home of everything expensive. But I did some math and found the following.

CC Initiation: $12,000....80/20 equity. So for sure you lose $2,400....but that is amortized over the number of years the CC is used.

Monthly Dues: $850 + $100 food / beverage.

CC Range Balls: Included. Now that's a big deal for me because I pay $80 per session for about 500 balls...6 times per month. So I already pay, say $480 / month for range outings. Plus I always feel like it's a waste of money to practice short shots. At a CC you can hit all you want.

Public round of Golf: Out here the cost is $80-$120...so say $100 per round. 8 rounds per month = $800....plus public golf 5-6 hour rounds.

So I spend $800 + $480 (golf and range) each month, or $1,280, plus maybe $30 for cart drinks, or another $240. Grand total $1,520.

CC would cost $850 + $19 for cart per round ($19 x 8 = $152) + $100 F&B = $1,102.

Seems like the CC membership is the better deal. Of course the initiation fee is tough to swallow.

SoCal is gonna be different from a lot of places, for sure. But if you play/practice that much, it just might be worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal is gonna be different from a lot of places, for sure. But if you play/practice that much, it just might be worth it

He's found that his short game improved tremendously because he doesn't feel guilty about hitting 20 yard lobs. I'm thinking the cost would be adjusted around the country, meaning maybe in Alabama the initiation and dues are proportionately less. Plus, he drives me nuts talking about 3.5 hour rounds....and continuing for another 9.

Any folks out there considering joining a CC? My buddy joined one and says it's way cheaper than public golf. Keep in mind I'm in SoCal...home of everything expensive. But I did some math and found the following.

CC Initiation: $12,000....80/20 equity. So for sure you lose $2,400....but that is amortized over the number of years the CC is used.

Monthly Dues: $850 + $100 food / beverage.

CC Range Balls: Included. Now that's a big deal for me because I pay $80 per session for about 500 balls...6 times per month. So I already pay, say $480 / month for range outings. Plus I always feel like it's a waste of money to practice short shots. At a CC you can hit all you want.

Public round of Golf: Out here the cost is $80-$120...so say $100 per round. 8 rounds per month = $800....plus public golf 5-6 hour rounds.

So I spend $800 + $480 (golf and range) each month, or $1,280, plus maybe $30 for cart drinks, or another $240. Grand total $1,520.

CC would cost $850 + $19 for cart per round ($19 x 8 = $152) + $100 F&B = $1,102.

Seems like the CC membership is the better deal. Of course the initiation fee is tough to swallow.

One reason why I haven't bit the bullet yet is basically 1 course vs. many more in my immediate area. Curious if I would miss the variety.

One reason why I haven't bit the bullet yet is basically 1 course vs. many more in my immediate area. Curious if I would miss the variety.

You know, that's a good point. Some CC's have agreements with other CC's to play other courses. I don't think by my buddy has that option, but says he doesn't miss driving all over to play because he's hooked up with a group of guys who constantly have bets going on. Stuff like "closest to the green without landing on the green", stupid stuff like that to ensure they have fun. He loves the interaction with the members.

I couldn’t afford to golf if I lived in So Cal

Similar logic for me. However, this year I decided to buy an all-you-can-play membership. No initiation fees. I met lots of good guys at this course over the years and already play 90% of my rounds there. The break-even point is somewhere around 42-45 rounds in a season (April-October).

I grew up in Socal. It really depends on the area you live in. Some of the really good public tracks (such as Rustic Canyon) are super affordable. If it were me, I would join a reasonably priced CC just for the ease of tee times, and unlimited use of the facilities.

I played a lot of public golf when we first moved to DFW then joined a super cheap country/golf club. That worked for a while until my wife finished Masters degree & joined a much nicer couple bury club. We’ve made a bunch of friends, have regular games & dinner here regularly. So much so, we bought a house on the course.

I grew up in Socal. It really depends on the area you live in. Some of the really good public tracks (such as Rustic Canyon) are super affordable. If it were me, I would join a reasonably priced CC just for the ease of tee times, and unlimited use of the facilities.

That's what my buddy says....he stores his bag there...guys bring his bag to the range...he hits all he wants...lots of games going on...etc. I think it depends upon the club and course challenge....but there are plenty of challenging CC courses in SoCal...just down to cost.

Makes me glad I'm here in the hinterlands of East TN - cousin and I can play a twilight 9 on a top 10 course in the state, for $11 each. I definitely couldn't afford SoCal let alone golf there!

I'm glad I live in south GA! My yearly membership is $600 and I walk so I pay nothing else. My course has a range ball program but I don't ever hit them so I'm not even sure what the monthly or yearly fee is for those. Guessing it is probably no more than $150 - $200 per year for that.

In your case, with the figures you have drawn out, the CC membership is probably best in the long run.

I'm glad I live in south GA! My yearly membership is $600 and I walk so I pay nothing else. My course has a range ball program but I don't ever hit them so I'm not even sure what the monthly or yearly fee is for those. Guessing it is probably no more than $150 - $200 per year for that.

In your case, with the figures you have drawn out, the CC membership is probably best in the long run.

WOW...that's a DEAL. $600 for the year...unlimited golf? YOWSA! I pay $600 in gas per month with CA gas tax! LOL!

I have a range plane that’s $75 a month. It allows me unlimited range balls and 1/2 off tee times.

Right now with my work and personal schedules that’s as good as it will get until one of my daughters plays more.

WOW...that's a DEAL. $600 for the year...unlimited golf? YOWSA! I pay $600 in gas per month with CA gas tax! LOL!

It is not a luxurious country club by any means. It is a public course with a challenging layout that is pretty well kept up. For the money, or lack there of, I am a big fan of it! haha

It is not a luxurious country club by any means. It is a public course with a challenging layout that is pretty well kept up. For the money, or lack there of, I am a big fan of it! haha

Don't blame you....sounds really good.

Wow, that hurts my eyes haha. Mine is $900 for the whole year with cart unlimited. But in your case there it sounds like the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Wow, that hurts my eyes haha. Mine is $900 for the whole year with cart unlimited. But in your case there it sounds like the benefits outweigh the negatives.

LOL! Like that's a bad deal! Sounds like I'm getting ripped off out here. Seriously, $900 divided by 150 rounds is like $6.00 per round...WITH CART!

That's me, my course is short and not greatly maintained but it's $780 a year unlimited with a free cart. I could add unlimited range time for a $100. I couldn't live in California for a multitude of reasons, as beautiful as it is, but those golf bills seal the deal. I haven't joined our local country club because it's $1500 a year plus a $50 food fee. I'd be SOL if I lived out there.

Sounds like a good deal considering the cost of golf in your area. I paid $740 for unlimited golf, whenever I want..and it covers my greens fee for my league.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's me, my course is short and not greatly maintained but it's $780 a year unlimited with a free cart. I could add unlimited range time for a $100. I couldn't live in California for a multitude of reasons, as beautiful as it is, but those golf bills seal the deal. I haven't joined our local country club because it's $1500 a year plus a $50 food fee. I'd be SOL if I lived out there.

Just to chime in....that CC cost is really reasonable....holy crap....but I get the $780 hands down. I think it matters where one lives vs. what a "deal" is and isn't.

Where are you practicing in SoCal out of curiosity? $80 seems steep for a range day.

My fav is Strawberry Farms at the top of the range, off grass. $30 for 90 min and it has short game too.

We only have one other option within 30 miles and it is a private country club. I have never even inquired because I have been told it is a hell of a lot more expensive and the course isn't really much better.

Where are you practicing in SoCal out of curiosity? $80 seems steep for a range day.

My fav is Strawberry Farms at the top of the range, off grass. $30 for 90 min and it has short game too.

I buy the Gold Card at Tustin Ranch. I've been to Strawberry but (for me) the range is too uphill. I know a guy who teaches at Strawberry.

Just to chime in....that CC cost is really reasonable....holy crap....but I get the $780 hands down. I think it matters where one lives vs. what a "deal" is and isn't.
Agreed! It also comes down to dollars per round. I play about a hundred times a year mostly limited by the weather. In SoCAL, that's less of an issue. It cost me about $7.80 a round at that rate, if I had three more months where the course wasn't rained out or covered in snow/too cold to play it would be worth a few more $$.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back