Why Do Guys Draw Lines on Their Balls?

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
I've noticed guys who draw lines on their balls when ball makers inscribe pre-mark lines for putting direction.. Should the ball makers just put a line around the entire ball?

I've noticed guys who draw lines on their balls when ball makers inscribe pre-mark lines for putting direction.. Should the ball makers just put a line around the entire ball?

I've never drawn lines on my balls. Even if I did, I doubt anyone would see them. I'm discreet like that. :angel:

All of it is preference. Some prefer the OEM markers. Others prefer to make their own and use a specific color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's for alignment purposes. Makes it easier to get square to your putting line at address. Not my cup of tea, but different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As a guy who putts with no writing or lines showing that would suuuuuuck.

I am not one of them. I am a less is more type of guy when it comes to marking my golf balls.

I've never drawn lines on my balls. Even if I did, I doubt anyone would see them. I'm discreet like that. :angel:

Just spit out my wine...LMAO! Now I see how the question can be interpreted!

I tried it and didn't like it. It is amazing to watch the slo-mos of the putts of Tour pros who put the lines in the ball. Those suckers never wobble.

As a guy who putts with no writing or lines showing that would suuuuuuck.

I started being that guy also about 6 months ago. Use to have the marking on the side of the ball facing up but never took the time to make sure it was aligned perfectly to my intended line so just went to nothing and have been putting better since I did.

You. Are. Welcome.

I started being that guy also about 6 months ago. Use to have the marking on the side of the ball facing up but never took the time to make sure it was aligned perfectly to my intended line so just went to nothing and have been putting better since I did.

You are like me. I think the line just adds PRESSURE to the putt...it's like a mandatory life sentence if I miss the line-up.

I'm a no line showing as well. Though sometimes if I'm playing really fast I don't even notice which way I set the ball down.

Saw the post title, and immediately went there - because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy. At least I didn't have to make the joke.

It's no wonder I'm single.

Sorry for the thread high jack - and as a newbie, I don't get the line. I have one on my putter that does just fine.

Last edited:

I mark my balls with a red line half way around for putting. The OEM's do not need to put a line on the ball. I use a Sharpie which is much brighter.

Saw the post title, and immediately went there - because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy. At least I didn't have you to make the joke.

It's no wonder I'm single.

Honestly, it took the first poster's comment to let me know how awkwardly the question was worded. THP will probably send me an email warning me of pending suspension....LOL!

Honestly, it took the first poster's comment to let me know how awkwardly the question was worded. THP will probably send me an email warning me of pending suspension....LOL!

Or they'll move it to the "random and off topic" forum :D

Seems like an accessory discussion but I'm waiting for the guillotine!

To try to get the discussion back on track for you and avoid the guillotine...

I'm new to this. I see the shape of the ball, not the writing in it, and aim the line on the putter accordingly. Is a drawn line supposed to line up with where the putter is to hit or something?

I'm new to this. I see the shape of the ball, not the writing in it, and aim the line on the putter accordingly. Is a drawn line supposed to line up with where the putter is to hit or something?

New folks are GREAT because they point out idiosyncrasy's in golf. You are insightful. I also just look at the ball and actually think of nothing. Otherwise, your (my) brain will be giving all kinds of instructions in about 1 second. Just adds stress. Thanks for that post!....Ax still coming though!

Using a line on the ball to point where you want the ball to go takes a variable out of putting you no longer have to worry about. It allows you to focus all your attention on the speed of the putt once over the ball.

The process is to choose where you think the ball should roll. Align the line on your ball with that direction. Step over the ball and align your body to the line on the ball and your putter face square to that line making a "T" where the face of the putter is the top of the "T" and your ball line is the lower part. Now, since alignment is set, all you have to do is worry about hitting the ball with the correct speed.

Lydia Ko uses a huge line so she's a good example to watch. Tiger's line is a little thinner, Phil uses his 50/50

Using a line on the ball to point where you want the ball to go takes a variable out of putting you no longer have to worry about. It allows you to focus all your attention on the speed of the putt once over the ball.

The process is to choose where you think the ball should roll. Align the line on your ball with that direction. Step over the ball and align your body to the line on the ball and your putter face square to that line making a "T" where the face of the putter is the top of the "T" and your ball line is the lower part. Now, since alignment is set, all you have to do is worry about hitting the ball with the correct speed.

Lydia Ko uses a huge line so she's a good example to watch. Tiger's line is a little thinner, Phil uses his 50/50

Now that's a fantastic explanation - and with examples. Thank you, Christopher! (Btw used to live in NoVa for 15odd years, good to see the familiar city!)

I'll give it a shot, though I think I tend to make a decision and stop thinking when I step up to aim the putt. I think. I don't know, I'm still so new at this.

edit after thinking: I probably do this already, but use the apex to align my shot.

second edit after thinking: putting feels a lot like billiards to me. It's math angles and physics, with the added fun of rolling terrain.

I use a pair of parallel lines, but more as my ball identifier than a putting aid. Although there are the odd times when I feel the need to be on a tight line, then I may use them. The stencil came with a putting training aid that I only used a half dozen times, but the stencil has been my identifier for a couple years now.

And I REALLY want to make a comment that would make my navy shipmates proud... but I will abstain to maintain the G rating. :curl-lip:

Question: I am a spot putter...aka Nicklaus method. Are guys who draw lines "not" spot putters?

Question: I am a spot putter...aka Nicklaus method. Are guys who draw lines "not" spot putters?

If you're a spot putter use the line on the ball to point at the spot you've chosen. I use a spot 6" in front of my ball I like to roll it over. I point my line at that spot and use the ball to align my body. My last look before swing is my spot and then I stroke.

The line on the ball is also very helpful to people who do not stand square to the putting line. It gives them a good visual reference of straight even when standing open or closed.

If you're a spot putter use the line on the ball to point at the spot you've chosen. I use a spot 6" in front of my ball I like to roll it over. I point my line at that spot and use the ball to align my body. My last look before swing is my spot and then I stroke.

The line on the ball is also very helpful to people who do not stand square to the putting line. It gives them a good visual reference of straight even when standing open or closed.

Thanks! Good advice!

Back