JustAHack

Reaction score
Handicap
I generally play Chrome Soft balls, so I headed to the Callaway website to check how much a dozen new balls would be. I even had the notion to throw a custom logo on it since the upcharge is pretty minimal. $48.99... ok not atypical for a good ball.

Then I headed to a site I've used in the past that sells used balls. $18-22 per dozen, though of course they aren't going to be 2018 Chrome Softs. Likely 2016, but maybe 2017. Honestly I have no idea how much that matters, and for my level of golf, probably not at all. I picked up 4 dozen Chrome Softs, 1 dozen Truvis red/white, and 1 dozen Truvis yellow balls for $110. Just a tad more than 2 dozen new balls, and these are "mint" so no visible scuffs or marks.

Anyone had issues with used balls in the past? At least for "mint" quality, am I losing distance / control unknowingly because they aren't new? For less than half the price, I have no qualms playing a ball with a random logo on it, which you get with used balls, as long as the quality is 98% the same as a new ball.

I generally play Chrome Soft balls, so I headed to the Callaway website to check how much a dozen new balls would be. I even had the notion to throw a custom logo on it since the upcharge is pretty minimal. $48.99... ok not atypical for a good ball.

Then I headed to a site I've used in the past that sells used balls. $18-22 per dozen, though of course they aren't going to be 2018 Chrome Softs. Likely 2016, but maybe 2017. Honestly I have no idea how much that matters, and for my level of golf, probably not at all. I picked up 4 dozen Chrome Softs, 1 dozen Truvis red/white, and 1 dozen Truvis yellow balls for $110. Just a tad more than 2 dozen new balls, and these are "mint" so no visible scuffs or marks.

Anyone had issues with used balls in the past? At least for "mint" quality, am I losing distance / control unknowingly because they aren't new? For less than half the price, I have no qualms playing a ball with a random logo on it, which you get with used balls, as long as the quality is 98% the same as a new ball.

You shouldn't have any issues with the mint balls at all... I have bought several buckets from lostgolfballs and they have always turned out great

As long as the balls are not refurbished, they are usually ok. Balls found in water are alright if they haven't been in there for a long time.

Seems like a pretty good price that you got for them.

I've never had issues using lostgolfballs.

Though with brands like Snell and Cut making urethane balls for around $20-25 new, I don't think I'll go back to used once my supply runs out.

Walmart use to sell some used balls that were in like new condition. They sold them in smaller cardboard boxes. $20 I think? Got you a dozen assorted high end balls. I need to see if they still sell them. I always had good luck with them. Most looked brand new with zero signs of use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes as long as they are not "refurbished" you should be fine. I use Chrome Soft's too but don't buy them from lostgolfballs cause I have had an issue before but I do get the "mint" or "5A" condition ones and they are excellent and less than half the price of new.

I will be patiently waiting for some 2018 Chrome Soft's to come up for sale later this year so I can get some to try! :)

... I headed to a site I've used in the past that sells used balls.

C'mon, spill the beans. What's the name of the site? Looks like a few of us here use lostgolfballs.com, but more options are good.

Yes as long as they are not "refurbished" you should be fine. I use Chrome Soft's too but don't buy them from lostgolfballs cause I have had an issue before but I do get the "mint" or "5A" condition ones and they are excellent and less than half the price of new.

I will be patiently waiting for some 2018 Chrome Soft's to come up for sale later this year so I can get some to try! :)

What issue have you had with LGB.com? I've hard one or two minor issues, but they've always remedied it.

What issue have you had with LGB.com? I've hard one or two minor issues, but they've always remedied it.

Ordered some that were not as described and they sent replacements for the exact amount of ones I didn't like in which some of those replacements looked like the ones I complained about to begin with and they also seemed like when I contacted them about it that they were mad at me for questioning the initial order AND the replacements. That was the one and only order ever placed.

I actually received three different quality balls as far as I was concerned but only complained about the worst of the worst but had quite a few more that I could have since they were not that great condition wise either!

I agree with other to stay far away from refurbished balls. Have never used lostgolfballs but have read a lot of good things about them on here.

The only problem with LGB that I have had was that I ordered 2017 ChromeSofts (4 piece) and they sent me the 2016 version (3 piece) and it was a giant hassle trying to get it taken care of. Otherwise, 5A/4A ball quality has always been in line with my expectations.

Like others have said, stay away from "refurbished" or "reloads." For those asking why, the covers are redone and are not anywhere near as durable. Especially with the high end balls like Pro Vs. I did a shot for shot comparison between the 2 and the reload was in far worse shape at the end of 18.

Ordered some that were not as described and they sent replacements for the exact amount of ones I didn't like in which some of those replacements looked like the ones I complained about to begin with and they also seemed like when I contacted them about it that they were mad at me for questioning the initial order AND the replacements. That was the one and only order ever placed.

I actually received three different quality balls as far as I was concerned but only complained about the worst of the worst but had quite a few more that I could have since they were not that great condition wise either!

The only problem with LGB that I have had was that I ordered 2017 ChromeSofts (4 piece) and they sent me the 2016 version (3 piece) and it was a giant hassle trying to get it taken care of. Otherwise, 5A/4A ball quality has always been in line with my expectations.

I've had a few issues. Ordered Nike RZN Blacks one time and they sent me like 2 or 3 Callaway balls in the middle of 4 dozen Nikes. Not sure how that happened, but they put a credit on my account to more than take care of it.

Have used LGB in the past and will continue doing so. Always go for the 5A though and have never had an issue with overall quality.

C'mon, spill the beans. What's the name of the site? Looks like a few of us here use lostgolfballs.com, but more options are good.

It used to be called KnetGolf, but now it's lostgolfballs.com. I didn't even realize that until I got the confirmation email.

I didn't want it to seem like I was schlepping for the site, so I omitted the name. But we're all thinking of the same place.

I could not begin to think of how many purchases I have made from lostgolfballs.com. I have never had an issue and always buy mint. They look basically new and at half the cost.

As long as the balls are not refurbished, they are usually ok. Balls found in water are alright if they haven't been in there for a long time.

I agree. Just don't do refurbished balls. Higher grade used are normally good.

I’m glad to hear all these positive responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go used as well from LGB. I have never had an issue with the mint or 4A ones. I would say I have probably only had 1 ball out of a thousand do weird wonky things that made me toss it. Make sure you get recycled. I have seen some really odd things with refinished ones and won't buy those.

I only use new balls in tournament just in case.

Walmart use to sell some used balls that were in like new condition. They sold them in smaller cardboard boxes. $20 I think? Got you a dozen assorted high end balls. I need to see if they still sell them. I always had good luck with them. Most looked brand new with zero signs of use.

Pretty sure the Walmart ones are refinished, would stay well away from those.

If I lived in the US I would just play the Cut Gray or Cut Blue. New balls at the same price your talking about and they perform really well for me. Makes me think I should buy some and get them shipped to a friends place in May.

Pretty sure the Walmart ones are refinished, would stay well away from those.
I will remember that.

Back