How Mixed Could You Go?

I rather enjoy playing a full matching set but it wouldn't bother me not to as long as everything had a purpose and a place in the bag. For example I wanted to mix and match the different lines for my Morgan Cup clubs but I struggled to even do that because the lofts being completely different from line to line.

Having wedges that are different might get to my head. I think I feel more comfortable having a matching wedge set

The craziest part is I had a CBX, a PM Grind and a Wilson PMP. So totally different styles.

The only thing I have done it with was wedges a few years ago. Not sure I would want mixed irons in the bag.

I can do it but don't like it lol Right now I have a TM driver and irons with Callaway hybrid and wedges. Now that I ordered TM hybrid I want to order another to replace the Callaway one but I Hit it so well. I don't mind having wedges that are a different brand

The craziest part is I had a CBX, a PM Grind and a Wilson PMP. So totally different styles.
Yeah that might really screw with my head. I've done 2 md3 and pm before but that's all Callaway so I still had a "matching set." I get the mix though. I assume cbx gap, pnp sw and pm lob?

Yeah that might really screw with my head. I've done 2 md3 and pm before but that's all Callaway so I still had a "matching set." I get the mix though. I assume cbx gap, pnp sw and pm lob?

CBX is the gap, PNP is a low bounce wedge that I use around the greens for chipping and for knockdowns in spots. The PM Grind is 60* and I call it a pancake like wedge. Open it all of the way up, super versatile when I want to get it up in the air quickly. Totally different uses and I dont take a lot of full swings with wedges and prefer to use some creativity to play for spots. If that makes sense.

I had a friend who could not wrap his head around the Launcher HB in 5 and 6 and Honma in 7-10 iron either.

I'm always mixed up!

Currently sporting
Ping driver
TEE FW
W/S hybrids
Callaway irons
W/S wedges (soon to be Hogan & W/S wedges)
Betti putter

CBX is the gap, PNP is a low bounce wedge that I use around the greens for chipping and for knockdowns in spots. The PM Grind is 60* and I call it a pancake like wedge. Open it all of the way up, super versatile when I want to get it up in the air quickly. Totally different uses and I dont take a lot of full swings with wedges and prefer to use some creativity to play for spots. If that makes sense.

I had a friend who could not wrap his head around the Launcher HB in 5 and 6 and Honma in 7-10 iron either.

Your wedge setup makes a lot of sense actually. Each serving a purpose... launcher HB long irons and honma short irons.... well they make sense too but for some reason I'm not sure I can see it in my bag hahahaha. Must be #internetgolfer vanity

Your wedge setup makes a lot of sense actually. Each serving a purpose... launcher HB long irons and honma short irons.... well they make sense too but for some reason I'm not sure I can see it in my bag hahahaha. Must be #internetgolfer vanity

Hahah. Whatever makes someone want to play.

I typically keep my bag pretty mixed, and if I had to set a limit of just how mixed I could go, I'd say different long irons/mid irons/wedges would be about the max extent. As it stands though, my bag is pretty mixed compared to others!

The irons would be the hard part. With no standardization of lofts, lies, offset, etc. in the iron sets, it'd be tough to mix irons and come out with a halfway decent, playable set.

I know Tiger used to play a set of mixed Mizuno irons (different lines within the same company) and there were offset issues. IIRC, the long irons had less offset in the clubs he used vs the clubs that matched his short/mid irons. I could be wrong about that, but I think that's right.

That being said, I already have different brands for my driver, 3wd, (hybrids, irons, and wedges), and putter so I'm playing 4 different brands now.

I could do it, but the spec progression would have to make sense.

Mixing is fine as long as your consistent with yardage gaps, lie angles, etc. its all a matter of personal preference and what you play best with. I usually only have 2 brands in the bag, but that's just a function of being a bit of a consistency nit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How Mixed Could You Go?

Everything in my bag is Callaway but those Cobra black wedges have me tempted for sure

I am too OCD for that. Driver and fairways are always same brand, hybrids brand always matchs woods or irons, iron set always same brand and wedges typically are same brand as iron set.

Mixing is fine as long as your consistent with yardage gaps, lie angles, etc. its all a matter of personal preference and what you play best with. I usually only have 2 brands in the bag, but that's just a function of being a bit of a consistency nit.

Lie angles change from hybrid to irons anyway for many, right?

I am too OCD for that. Driver and fairways are always same brand, hybrids brand always matchs woods or irons, iron set always same brand and wedges typically are same brand as iron set.

Me too.......way OCD to have a conglomerate of differences

Lie angles change from hybrid to irons anyway for many, right?

Yes, but I was talking more about the change in brands from iron to iron, and even more importantly lofts. For example, I added an ap3 3 iron into my bag of ap2's. Due to the change in loft between the models, I had to weaken the 3 iron. I know this is the same brand but the concept applies.

Yes, but I was talking more about the change in brands from iron to iron, and even more importantly lofts. For example, I added an ap3 3 iron into my bag of ap2's. Due to the change in loft between the models, I had to weaken the 3 iron. I know this is the same brand but the concept applies.

So here is where I’m different (nobody wants in this brain except for fun contests), I don’t think about loft numbers. Honestly don’t at all. As long as gaps are there, I’m good.

So here is where I’m different (nobody wants in this brain except for fun contests), I don’t think about loft numbers. Honestly don’t at all. As long as gaps are there, I’m good.

That's honestly all that matters! I just use the lofts as a starting point to help find the right gaps.

That's honestly all that matters! I just use the lofts as a starting point to help find the right gaps.

It’s a fun game the equipment game isn’t it?
I mean I’m playing a 10 iron.

I would definitely be open to it - especially in irons/hybrids it seems like there's always 1-2 clubs from the set that I like better than the others. If I had a bunch sitting around I could definitely see just plucking my favorite stick for each gap in my bag. Tough to do though when you're usually getting fit for a single set of irons/wedges.

That said - I've seen some pros WITB recently that seem to take this approach with wedges especially. Almost like each one has its own 'personality'. I think Lee Westwood has two set gap wedges bent to different lofts and then a specialty lob wedge.

Different hybrids would drive me nuts but with the irons could have a lot of fun and have either different oem or type from my 4-pw my wedges are a little mixed now and I would keep those the same. Hmm. Could be a fun challenge to find single irons on Cpo and eBay.

I have 3 different brands in my bag some days and 2 others. I have a Cobra f7 3-4 hybrid that I switch in from time to time. Mostly Callaway products though.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I like to think I could go that mixed, but I honestly don't know. If I were confident each one served the proper purpose and gap, I don't think it would be an issue.

Mixing OEMs wouldn’t be an issue, but mixing styles would be troublesome for me especially irons.

Back