How Mixed Could You Go?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What I mean by that is not just split sets, but could you mix brands in irons? Could you have two different hybrids? Could you have 3 wedges that were totally different?

I played with thpers last week and realized my bag had 6-7 brands and was totally mixed.

I had a Rogue Driver and XXiO driver
I had a cobra hybrid
I had Cleveland long irons through the 6 and then Honma irons to PW
I had a Cleveland wedge, a Callaway wedge and a wilson wedge
I had an odyssey putter

It never bothered me as I grabbed what gap I needed but I know everybody is different. How crazy could you go with mixing?

If every club in my bag was from a different OEM, I'd have 0 issues assuming they served their purpose and served it well.

I used to have 4 different brands (2 different branded Wedges) but i'm basically a 1 brand man type of guy now. I think I like the consistency in the irons being the same feel, same for wedges.

Yeah, I'd be fine. I'm pretty mixed as it is anyway. TaylorMade driver, Cobra 3 wood, Titleist 5 wood and 3 hybrid, Srixon irons, Titleist wedges, and an Odyssey putter. I only want each club to do what I want it to. Doesn't matter the brand if the results are there.

• Admin
I should add, that this is less about oem mixing and more about type mixing.

I always wanted to play a set where every club is a different brand. It would all be gapped and swing weighted but no two clubs would be the same brand.

I think I could game a massively mixed bag as I don't have OCD about matching wedges or metalwoods or anything. A progressive iron set kind of does this already and I like that concept. I'd assume that the clubs are that way for a reason after some extensive testing and I would be wary of that person the same way you see a guy with old irons and new grips.

Nope, just thinking about that sets off a little OCD.

I could definitely go different OEMs from driver/fw/hybrids and wedges wouldn't really matter and of course the putter as well. I don't think I could go different OEMs in my iron setup though.

So adding that up there could be up to 7 different OEMs in my bag theoretically.

I think Ill stick to my 100% Cleveland bag this year

So despite my love for Callaway (currently everything except putter is them) I could easily go with a different brand for every club if that's what made sense and performed best. Unlikely to happen in the irons though given that most fitting places (Club Champion and the like included) usually only have a 6 iron to work with.

I used to have a crazy mix.

adams driver
ping 3 wood
tour edge 5 wood
cobra hybrid
Taylormade long irons
mizuno short irons
top flite wedge
cleveland lob wedge
oddyssey putter

That's 9? Not sure if they all overlapped, but it was a crazy time putting stuff together the first year or so.

Now....its a little different.

I played saturday with 4 different iron types in my bag (3 different OEMs) 2 different wedges (2 different OEMs). Would not bother me to split sets up at all if I had confidence they were going to be what I need from that particular spot.

It is one thing I have wondered about with an iron fitting. Why don't we get fit for more than just 6 or 7I? I know I hit my 9I quite a bit differently than my 6I, so why not do a little more work on getting the gaps right for these very important clubs? I would rather get the gaps in my irons dialed in than with the longer clubs in my bag.

I used to play hybrids from two different companies - never had an issue or even thought twice about it. One was great for distance and one fit a gap with really soft landings into greens.

I think from my signature you could see I don't mind a mixed bag

Mixed bag doesn't bother me, don't know if I could play 2 different irons though at the same time.

Callaway / nike driver
Titleist 3 wood
Ben Hogan 3i / Titleist hybrid
Wilson irons 4-pw
Cleveland 52
Wilson 56
Titleist 60 / Cleveland 58
Oddesey / ram fx putter

Some clubs get switched from time to time

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

I think I would be fine with it. Irons might be the toughest one but I've done it with hybrids and wedges before with no issues at all.

I used to be all one OEM but now am pretty mixed, Doesnt bother me one bit.

Until very recently I played a Cobra gap wedge, Scor 56 and Titelist 60. So that's 3 wedges of 3 different OEMs. That didn't bother because I practiced with them all and put them together because the performance was good.
Going forward I'll have Mizzy 4i-60w, so the diversity of OEMs in my bag is decreasing. Performance is decreasing as well, but that gets back to practice and becoming more familiar with the new irons and wedges.

Having wedges that are different might get to my head. I think I feel more comfortable having a matching wedge set

No problem with a mixed bag, because that's what it was until recently. Had CF16 irons mixed with Recoil shafts, along with AP-1 with XP 95 steel shafts. I had mixed shafts in wedges until I went with all Aerotech in them. Lately it's been all CF16/Recoils.

I should add, that this is less about oem mixing and more about type mixing.

Including one OL hybrid in there with all other variable length clubs. That was interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could I guess but from my standpoint that would be hard to really see the benefit in my game. What I mean is I don’t see how a different oem iron in the higher ones would be more beneficial for my game than the same type of club from the same oem as my short irons (haha does that make sense?) I am definitely going to slowly turn my bag this year into a completely useful bag though instead of my internet golfer bag ( although the list below is pretty internet golferish in some aspects)

Basically want to end up with:

Driver- 230-240ish carry
4wood- 220-230 off the tee and 215 off the turf
Hybrids 3-5 iron distances (200-180)
6-7 cavity/players “GI” irons (170 & 160)
8-pw blades (150-110)
52, 58 & 62 (all other distances 100 and below).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since they all do the same job and if the style / type was fairly consistent I could do it. But it would make my left eye twitch a bit..

Back