Tempo and hitting impulse

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
For years, I have been battling with bad tempo. I usually have trouble getting anywhere set before I lightning jolts my body and I am swinging away.
If I get stiff or nervous, it gets even worse.
I have been working really hard at the range trying to wait for my hands to get set at the top before I do anything. If I wait, I swing a lot better and the ball flight shows it.
I have tried counting, 1 and 2, but it doesnt work. I need a feeling. Right now I am trying to feel my hands quiet before I do anything.
Does anyone have any tricks to ingrain this for good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I battled that and still do at times. I tell myself to swing smooth and easy everytime I address the ball. I also take a pause at the top of my backswing with my irons. Both of these things help me keep a smooth tempo that works for me.

For years, I have been battling with bad tempo. I usually have trouble getting anywhere set before I lightning jolts my body and I am swinging away.
If I get stiff or nervous, it gets even worse.
I have been working really hard at the range trying to wait for my hands to get set at the top before I do anything. If I wait, I swing a lot better and the ball flight shows it.
I have tried counting, 1 and 2, but it doesnt work. I need a feeling. Right now I am trying to feel my hands quiet before I do anything.
Does anyone have any tricks to ingrain this for good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OMG, I could have written the above post, it is my biggest issue! I tried to stay calm, keep a positive mental attitude, and think of an Ernie Els type swing. Quite often I don't even realize I'm swinging quickly on the downswing. Buddies that know me have to tell me to slow down you're swinging too fast, often I think and it feels like I'm swinging with rhythm but I'm not.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I don't know how well this actually works, but I think I learned good tempo from watching tour pros with good tempo swing. Freddie Couples for example was a big influence. Perhaps watching a bunch of video from a player whose tempo you admire for visual & mental training, and then hit the range... repeat as needed.

I love Freddie's swing, in my feeble little mind I swing with his tempo. I wish I could swing like him but no it will never happen. How does he just throw the club to the top and still make that buttery smooth move down to the ball?

Dan

Orange whip helped me.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Story of my game...getting quick and trying to hit it instead of swinging is a killer.

It is a total mental thing with me as it is really only with the longer clubs when I feel I need to swing harder to get more distance instead of using the same swing as the shorter shots and letting the club do the work.

It's ingrained at this point and I think more practice and better focus on the course is the answer IMO.

The shoulders can only move so quick. If your golf swing is using the big muscles then your tempo will be slower. It’s when the arms are dominating the swing that people get quick.

A thing that I do is I exhale before I start my takeaway. It helps me release the tension in my hands and shoulders and allows for a freer swing and not so quick. Sounds stupid, but I have a swing thought in my head of "Ham-Bur-Ger" or "God Save The Queen" to help with my tempo.

Back