Punched greens/ match play

ezpeasy

Reaction score
Handicap
Upon arriving to Sea View resort for a match play event, I learned the greens were punched. While I understand everybody will have the same conditions, I think this will make giving putts tricky.

What tactics do you guys use to make punched greens more bearable? What are your thoughts on the etiquette of giving putts under these conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is really nothing that makes punched greens more bearable unfortunately. I have been dealing with them for 2.5 weeks and we had a 2 person best ball tournament on them last Saturday where one of us had to find the bottom of the cup on every hole. As far as giving putts, I would stick to giving no more than 3 feet.

Punched greens are the worst. There's no way to make them less unbearable.

Agreed, punched greens are the absolute worst.

There is really nothing that makes punched greens more bearable unfortunately. I have been dealing with them for 2.5 weeks and we had a 2 person best ball tournament on them last Saturday where one of us had to find the bottom of the cup on every hole. As far as giving putts, I would stick to giving no more than 3 feet.

If you were playing better ball, wouldn't you both need to hole out and then use the best score of the two?

If you were playing better ball, wouldn't you both need to hole out and then use the best score of the two?
If one was already in for a par, there was no reason for the other person to attempt their par putt. Would have just slowed down play which is never a good thing.

Touchè

Close your eyes just after you putt. You won't know if you got unlucky or lucky.

Giving putts to me is less about the distance or the green condition and all about where we are in the match. If I feel the heat is on, I make them putt. Seen some missed 2 footers over the years under pressure.

Nothing can make punched greens better. Hit the putts firmly and hope for the best.

I'm not aware of any etiquette for conceding putts. That said, I would be as gracious as I could be without "giving" my match away.

Back