Best clubs to hit out of the rough?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
From everyone’s experience, what clubs have you found to be best out of the rough in mid to long distances to the green (160-200)? Do you find the mid-woods (7-wood and 9-wood) or the hybrids 4H and 5h easier to hit into the green from fairway or rough?

For me it is my 7 wood, it will get the ball up quick and I have confidence in the shot.

Depends on the rough. First cut I’ll typically grab whatever club I think I need. Deeper stuff I’m going to be hacking at it with an iron in just about every case.

If I'm 180 or in it's an iron. Beyond that it depends on the rough and the lie. If it's clean fw or hybrid are both in play to distance, if it's thick I'll take my licks and pull an iron.

I loved my 5h out of all but the deepest rough. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to hit it off the tee without hooking the crap out of it so I put a 5i back in the bag. From that distance now, I'd be looking at 4h, most likely.

Struggling hitting my fairways from this wet rough. 6 iron down is good though

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm probably using a long iron from those distances. 200 yards I may use a hybrid depending on the lie.

From a pure design vantage point, hybrids are the easiest and most forgiving clubs to hit out of the rough. The heavier heads are an advantage over irons when going through thick rough. The relatively shorter shafts compared to fairway metals allow you to hit the ball without having to go through as much grass.

Irons are my go to out of the rough. I'm a decent ball striker and trust my irons to get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely an iron play for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 yards I’m using an 8iron. 200 yards will get either 6i or 5i depending on the depth.

60 yards I’m using an 8iron. 200 yards will get either 6i or 5i depending on the depth.

I am interested by this thought. So, does the 6i/5i get to a certain distance you like into the green?

For me, my money area is 100 yards. I definitely need to play more course management this year vs always going for the green.

I filled the top of my bag with Cobra F7 models because of this predicament. Call it placebo or whatever but I have the upmost confidence in my 4H, 5W and 3W out of the rough and off the deck dependant on the low and distance required.

I am interested by this thought. So, does the 6i/5i get to a certain distance you like into the green?

For me, my money area is 100 yards. I definitely need to play more course management this year vs always going for the green.

My stock 200 yard club is my 5i. If I need to muscle a 6i due to thicker rough, I can squeak out a few extra to get on the putting surface.

Depends on how rough the rough is. Some are so rough that I need to utilize a drop shot and take a one shot penalty

Back