Chipping and Pitching Path: IO or OI?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Another thread specific to wedges got into a discussion about chipping and pitching path where a couple members were saying they prefer a path that cuts across the ball, so out-to-in OI.

There is a youtube video out there where Trackman assesses the numbers for a 50-yard pitch, and the in-to-out IO was best.

Personally I prefer the IO path. Still trying to get more consistent, but when i swing correctly I feel the ball comes off with more spin and a more predictable trajectory.

I know certain situations call for different shots, but let's say it's a straightforward chip or pitch, nothing crazy. Which path do you prefer?

Really depends on what you’re trying to get out of the shot, but for your stock/ regular pitch or chip, a shallow path with vertical shaft at impact will provide consistent results and typically provides the most margin of error than a steeper/lots of shaft lean type shot.

Your mileage may vary if course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IO or OI produces two entirely different results. IO the ‘traditional’ path is more for a shot that you want to release to the hole. It a shot that has a good deal of roll and it great for shots that have a great deal of green between you and the hole.

OI is going to impart much more spin and is used for those one hop and stop shots, those short sided chips or flops or those tucked pins from long distance.

Both paths are needed if you’re going to have a solid short game. Any number of shots can be played with face adjustments and one of the two paths.

I tell ya, after reading about the OtoI technique tidbit here recently I was really intrigued. Then going out and trying it gets me wishing I would of known about it a long time ago. SO much more consistent contact. Either opening up the face or keeping the face square im sold. I wasn't a terrible around the greens before either, but now I feel I can do so much more with even more success.

Opening the face. Really concentrating on feeling the trailing edge of the sole pop the ground, keeping down on the shot, and accelerate through with the out to in technique is money. Trajectory depends on ball position, how much you open the face, and how far back and through you swing. Comes down soft WITH spin (from a clean lie) and is very predictable.

On the other hand when squaring up the face. Ball position back towards the middle of my back foot and sometimes farther back depending on desired outcome. A little forward press, out to in swing, just nips it good coming out low, checks, then rolls out depending on loft and power.

Back