What one thing would you eliminate from golf

Careful what you ask for. You could always miss that putt for triple and take a quad.
I usually skip the quad and go straight to the wanna-snap-my-club-and-throw-the-bag-into-the-pond quintuple! ☺

If a marshal observes you OB two tee boxes in a row, you have to move up a box.

Why? Because you can't hit OB from the closer tees?

No. Bc if you can’t keep it in play consistently you shouldn’t be playing from the back lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the one thing you would eliminate from golf if you could?

For me, it would be picking up your golf ball on the green and lining your putt up with a line on your golf ball. I would create a rule that does away with that. It drives me crazy, especially when they pick it up two or three times to line it up.

If I could eliminate any one thing from my golf game it would be... bad shots.

I agree - especially in a casual round. I don't want to hurt my clubs, or ME, trying to hit from an unsafe lie. I like the idea that playing partners can agree on it.

I would also like to get rid of the concept of "mens" and "ladies" and "seniors" tees. In the first place, it takes a little sexism and youth elitism out of the game. In the second, one of the best golfers I know will deliberately hit off different tees (he'll use the same one during the round) because that forces him to reconsider every shot, it makes each round on the same course completely different. Playing from the white vs the red is a huge difference in course management. Plus, it's kind of deflating to check the scorecard online, and have to hit "Ladies" and then only see the chart style information for Red and Green tees, and above that several lines of "n/a" for white and blue... really deflating, and discouraging, now that I think about it.

I agree on the tee thing. So odd a lady who shoots the same score on the same tees might have a handicap of 1 while a guy who shoots the exact same thing from the same tees might have a handicap of 6. That or a very good lady can't play more than 2 or 3 boxes back and be able to enter her score on ghin with out using some convoluted distance adjustment equation that doesn't even work well depending on the course.

A 10 degree miss is around 12 yards further off line from a tee box 50 yards longer

Laser finders...OMG that drives me INSANE! One guy lasered a 30 yard pitch shot...ARRRGGHHH. Like 99% laser 153.7 then hit it 138.3 into water. Stop with the lasers. Walk off the distance from the markers or from sprinkler heads to the center of the green. Every big step = 1 yard.

Couldn't agree more regarding the tees. I think the system is in place to try to encourage shorter hitters to play shorter tees, but it is a very prejudiced system. Golf ego will always be a factor,and it will always show on the cards. I regularly play from mixed tees. My "home" course has the designers tees- which change colors on every hole so you can play the course as he envisioned it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't know how many times I've played PGA West Stadium with guys who demand to play the Black tees. Those same guys drive the ball max 220, and spend half the day looking for their drives. They're up to a 7 before reaching the green.

Rule should be if you can shoot PAR from the reds....move back one set of tees.

I don't know how many times I've played PGA West Stadium with guys who demand to play the Black tees. Those same guys drive the ball max 220, and spend half the day looking for their drives. They're up to a 7 before reaching the green.

Rule should be if you can shoot PAR from the reds....move back one set of tees.
That won't curb the ego, unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Laser finders...OMG that drives me INSANE! One guy lasered a 30 yard pitch shot...ARRRGGHHH. Like 99% laser 153.7 then hit it 138.3 into water. Stop with the lasers. Walk off the distance from the markers or from sprinkler heads to the center of the green. Every big step = 1 yard.

I am 100% guilty of lasering anything outside 30 yards. The closer I get the more important exact yardage is.

One more and I'm done...wife is gone golfing at Tiburon in FL so I'm going berserk on THP!

Eliminate Tequila Shooters made by the cart girls. Just sell the bottle and mixers and move on! And stop with the hot cart girls where guys stand around and take pics with them...mingle like it's a bar in Vegas. SoCal is the worst (or best) for cart girls.

Having to hit out of a divot. Has to be ground under repair.

The cart girls mixing the drinks is 100% because of liquor licence laws

The stimpmeter.

One more....eliminate waiting for the guy/gal WAY across the fairway, or behind, to hit before you do even though you are at your ball 2 minutes earlier.

The stimpmeter.

As a former Assistant Superintendent, I can jive a bit with this one. More often than not, it's a number most don't understand but feel the need to know anyway to make themselves look smarter than they actually are.

Ha!

NO.

You must have some terrible slow guys you play with. I do this, but I almost never go back to adjust a second time. I don't think I've EVER done it a third time. In that vein, if it ever became a pace problem, I wouldn't be opposed to a one lift rule to clean your ball and put your line.

For me, my order would go

Forcing people to play appropriate tee boxes. If a marshal observes you OB two tee boxes in a row, you have to move up a box. (for casual play only obviously :angel:)
Stroke and distance penalties
fairway divot plays
I almost never see a marshal when I play. Let alone them hanging aroind for two holes since they normally drive the course backwards!

A 10 degree miss is around 12 yards further off line from a tee box 50 yards longer
That's assuming one hits it 50 yards further from the back tees than they do from a couple tees up. Which they don't.

One more....eliminate waiting for the guy/gal WAY across the fairway, or behind, to hit before you do even though you are at your ball 2 minutes earlier.
You should already do that anyway. It's called ready golf.

You should already do that anyway. It's called ready golf.

Agree...but it does happen. I can't get into the nuances of SOCAL golf, but let's just say certain cultures enforce the "you're away" rule without fail.

Amateurs looking for a lost ball for more than 30 seconds. Can’t find it that quick then drop one and take a penalty.

Back