What one thing would you eliminate from golf

There goes that fix! How about hiring retired librarians to drive drink carts?

Easy, killer. Not all librarians are a 100 years old. Hire some Chppendales dancers to be drink cart boys and you’ll solve that problem...

I’d second a requirement to either prove by handicap, or attest by signing something that says you have the game to play anything over, say 6000 yards. Same goes for 6500. I never play 6500 as a 14 hcp, because I know that most days I’m not good enough to play bogey golf from that distance (goes for the course as well, some courses are more open than others but by and large, I’m comfortable at 6100-6300 and not any more).

Stroke and distance for amateurs also could go.

And generally speaking, slow play is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laser finders...OMG that drives me INSANE! One guy lasered a 30 yard pitch shot...ARRRGGHHH. Like 99% laser 153.7 then hit it 138.3 into water. Stop with the lasers. Walk off the distance from the markers or from sprinkler heads to the center of the green. Every big step = 1 yard.
Gotta say I don't get this gripe, hitting the pin with a laser is definitely faster than finding a marker, stepping it off, and then doing the math.

You must have some terrible slow guys you play with. I do this, but I almost never go back to adjust a second time. I don't think I've EVER done it a third time. In that vein, if it ever became a pace problem, I wouldn't be opposed to a one lift rule to clean your ball and put your line.

For me, my order would go

Forcing people to play appropriate tee boxes. If a marshal observes you OB two tee boxes in a row, you have to move up a box. (for casual play only obviously :angel:)
Stroke and distance penalties
fairway divot plays

So moving up a tee box will eliminate OB shots?

Brandel Chamblee

As some very wise men have already said...stroke and distance.

Gotta say I don't get this gripe, hitting the pin with a laser is definitely faster than finding a marker, stepping it off, and then doing the math.

100% agree. The fastest players I know use rangefinders. I often finish 18 holes in under 2.5 hours as a twosome and I laser almost every shot.

I agree on the tee thing. So odd a lady who shoots the same score on the same tees might have a handicap of 1 while a guy who shoots the exact same thing from the same tees might have a handicap of 6. That or a very good lady can't play more than 2 or 3 boxes back and be able to enter her score on ghin with out using some convoluted distance adjustment equation that doesn't even work well depending on the course.

There’s no rule that says ladies can’t play back if they choose.

100% agree. The fastest players I know use rangefinders. I often finish 18 holes in under 2.5 hours as a twosome and I laser almost every shot.
I agree! I save a lot of time with either a rangefinder or a GPS app. It takes a lot longer for me to find a marker and Step It Off!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

So moving up a tee box will eliminate OB shots?

I replied to a similar comment above, but basically if you’re more likely to hit ob than fairway or even rough you shouldn’t be at the back.

I almost never see a marshal when I play. Let alone them hanging aroind for two holes since they normally drive the course backwards!

We have a large group of a certain type that plays every Sunday at 2:00. There’s ~5 tee times of them, and they all play from the tips. Maybe one or two have the skill for it. We call the Marshal about slow play. He comes out. They do nothing.

You cannot golf at my course after 2 on sundays bc the rounds literally take 5.5 hours compared to if you went off at 1:55 you’d be done in 4 or less.

Singles trying to join my twosome.
You should find 2 more players if you don't want to get paired up, the club is not going to send them back if they want to play.

^Agree. I play as a solo all the time and get put into two/threesomes. I don't like it, but a lot of the time it isn't the player's choice.

Laser finders...OMG that drives me INSANE! One guy lasered a 30 yard pitch shot...ARRRGGHHH. Like 99% laser 153.7 then hit it 138.3 into water. Stop with the lasers. Walk off the distance from the markers or from sprinkler heads to the center of the green. Every big step = 1 yard.

I laser a pin 30 yards away for sure, probably more so than if I was standing next to the 150 yard marker as a 30 yard feeler requires a lot more precision than a full swing with a 9i. It's also much quicker and more accurate than walking off yardage. Especially on courses that make it almost impossible to find sprinkler heads with yardages on them.

The ability to tee off from the first hole before your scheduled tee time. Times should be 10-12 minutes apart not 8. Really grinds my gears when the starter lets the group behind you tee off before their allotted time or you've just hit your second and the group behind you are teeing off. Unless you let them play through, they are constantly pushing you. Then you later realize the whole course is backed up. I understand why they do it, more golfers = more $$ but it makes for one frustrating round of golf.

I don't get this at all. It takes me longer to find a marker than it does to grab my laser and shoot the pin.

For me it's stroke and distance penalty.

On tour, I would throw the "Mash Potato-Baba Booey" guys out on first infraction... except Phoenix, just because they seem to embrace it.

On the course, I would ask the slow guys to pick it up a bit, no one enjoys sitting around & waiting. And for the speed demons to have a little patience. Sometimes the ball goes sideways...

Easy, killer. Not all librarians are a 100 years old. Hire some Chppendales dancers to be drink cart boys and you’ll solve that problem...

I only know men librarians? Chippendale's would definitely get more women interested in golf....you should give Vegas a tip!

I agree! I save a lot of time with either a rangefinder or a GPS app. It takes a lot longer for me to find a marker and Step It Off!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

In my experience...YES....they get the yardage quicker for sure....but then they stand around and obsess if they need to hit a "lighter 7 or a hard 8" from 150. It's 150 yards +/-5. Who's playing to that level of accuracy who's not on TV?

In my experience...YES....they get the yardage quicker for sure....but then they stand around and obsess if they need to hit a "lighter 7 or a hard 8" from 150. It's 150 yards +/-5. Who's playing to that level of accuracy who's not on TV?

There are plenty of golfers who can hit +/- 5 yards distance from 150. Would assume most + caps can do that 90% or more of the time. What you are describing is just a slow golfer though, they were still slow before rangefinders.

Ok, but they're gonna stand around and obsess about that either way. Might as well let them use the the range finder and the the yardage to obsess about quickly.

Ok, but they're gonna stand around and obsess about that either way. Might as well let them use the the range finder and the the yardage to obsess about quickly.

LOL! It's an obsession "trade-off". But really? Laser check from 60 yards?

yellow, red , white... all point of entry 2 club lengths, 1 stroke, and play on

I replied to a similar comment above, but basically if you’re more likely to hit ob than fairway or even rough you shouldn’t be at the back.

If you are prone to hit out of bounds it doesn’t matter what tees you play.

So the issue is indecision not range finders.

Back