What one thing would you eliminate from golf

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
What is the one thing you would eliminate from golf if you could?

For me, it would be picking up your golf ball on the green and lining your putt up with a line on your golf ball. I would create a rule that does away with that. It drives me crazy, especially when they pick it up two or three times to line it up.

Stroke and distance penalty. No question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having to hit out of a divot, and slow play.

Triple bogeys

Having to hit out of a divot, and slow play.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is also my answer! I think a divot should be ground under repair!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

3 putts!!!!!

3 putts..lol...

Change rule to allow free drop from ANY immovable object

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Having to hit out of a divot gets my vote or any unreasonable play it as it lies scenario.

I think you should be able to lift, clean, and place in any situation that your playing partner(s) agree on. It would speed up the game, and take away that awful feeling that comes after a great shot that ends up in a bad lie in the fairway.

Golf carts! EVERYONE should walk!

They already did the no marking ball on green back in the day, and as a line on ball guy I will pass on that.

Slow greens, I mean I don't need fast but ban courses that stimp under 9

Easy, having to hit out of divots. Such a dumb rule.

The divot thing. There are signs saying please repair your divots, a divot should be ground under repair.

I'm not a fan of watching golfers get way too anal about adjusting the alignment of their ball time after time and worse those guys either leave it 1.5 feet short or blow it 6 feet by way too often. But if I could just eliminate one thing it would be stroke and distance. Just play every OOB or lost ball like a lateral along with enforcing a much shorter time limit to search, a minute is enough, drop, add one, get moving.

I'm not a fan of watching golfers get way too anal about adjusting the alignment of their ball time after time and worse those guys either leave it 1.5 feet short or blow it 6 feet by way too often. But if I could just eliminate one thing it would be stroke and distance. Just play every OOB or lost ball like a lateral and enforce a shorter time limit to search.

The USGA listened to you(assuming not a competition at any sort of remotely highish level). 2 strokes though not 1 but it is a good change in casual rounds where you still want to turn

You must have some terrible slow guys you play with. I do this, but I almost never go back to adjust a second time. I don't think I've EVER done it a third time. In that vein, if it ever became a pace problem, I wouldn't be opposed to a one lift rule to clean your ball and put your line.

For me, my order would go

Forcing people to play appropriate tee boxes. If a marshal observes you OB two tee boxes in a row, you have to move up a box. (for casual play only obviously :angel:)
Stroke and distance penalties
fairway divot plays

Having to hit out of a divot gets my vote or any unreasonable play it as it lies scenario.

I think you should be able to lift, clean, and place in any situation that your playing partner(s) agree on. It would speed up the game, and take away that awful feeling that comes after a great shot that ends up in a bad lie in the fairway.

I agree - especially in a casual round. I don't want to hurt my clubs, or ME, trying to hit from an unsafe lie. I like the idea that playing partners can agree on it.

I would also like to get rid of the concept of "mens" and "ladies" and "seniors" tees. In the first place, it takes a little sexism and youth elitism out of the game. In the second, one of the best golfers I know will deliberately hit off different tees (he'll use the same one during the round) because that forces him to reconsider every shot, it makes each round on the same course completely different. Playing from the white vs the red is a huge difference in course management. Plus, it's kind of deflating to check the scorecard online, and have to hit "Ladies" and then only see the chart style information for Red and Green tees, and above that several lines of "n/a" for white and blue... really deflating, and discouraging, now that I think about it.

What one thing would you eliminate from golf

I would make a max score per hole.. possibly double bogey.. reach double, pick it up, let’s go.. nobody wants to be behind Duffy McHook as he’s lining up his 10’ putt for a 12...
I would also make continuous putting a rule.. once it’s your turn putt till it’s holed out.. don’t worry about being in someone’s line,the last group walked on it too..

I agree - especially in a casual round. I don't want to hurt my clubs, or ME, trying to hit from an unsafe lie. I like the idea that playing partners can agree on it.

I would also like to get rid of the concept of "mens" and "ladies" and "seniors" tees. In the first place, it takes a little sexism and youth elitism out of the game. In the second, one of the best golfers I know will deliberately hit off different tees (he'll use the same one during the round) because that forces him to reconsider every shot, it makes each round on the same course completely different. Playing from the white vs the red is a huge difference in course management. Plus, it's kind of deflating to check the scorecard online, and have to hit "Ladies" and then only see the chart style information for Red and Green tees, and above that several lines of "n/a" for white and blue... really deflating, and discouraging, now that I think about it.
Couldn't agree more regarding the tees. I think the system is in place to try to encourage shorter hitters to play shorter tees, but it is a very prejudiced system. Golf ego will always be a factor,and it will always show on the cards. I regularly play from mixed tees. My "home" course has the designers tees- which change colors on every hole so you can play the course as he envisioned it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Came in here to post the same thing. Worst rule in golf for sure.

Seriously- it’s like I don’t feel bad enough that I just fed the effing trees hahaha now I have to hit again from the same spot!?!?

Couldn't agree more regarding the tees. I think the system is in place to try to encourage shorter hitters to play shorter tees, but it is a very prejudiced system. Golf ego will always be a factor,and it will always show on the cards. I regularly play from mixed tees. My "home" course has the designers tees- which change colors on every hole so you can play the course as he envisioned it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I like that idea from the designer! That's COOL!

I would make a max score per hole.. possibly double bogey.. reach double, pick it up, let’s go.. nobody wants to be behind Duffy McHook as he’s lining up his 10’ putt for a 12...
I would also make continuous putting a rule.. once it’s your turn putt till it’s holed out.. don’t worry about being in someone’s line,the last group walked on it too..

Sorry dude, I had to enter that round for my handicap.

Back