Your memorable shots

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
When you think about your most memorable shots are they legit great shots like sticking a great iron shot or a perfectly played pitch or are they recovery/circus shots?

I was just thinking about the best shots I can remember hitting and most of them are some kind of crazy recovery or circus shot like having to shape the ball under and around a tree and sticking it within a foot of the hole. I have a bunch like that but can't think of many straight forward great shots.

I have some of both. I am more of a fan of my circus recovery shots.

I always remember a hole I played in my second year of golfing. It was a 476 yard Par 5, but was playing around 450 with the tees forward. My tee shot got a favorable glancing kick from the trunk of a large oak tree and wound up in the middle of the fairway, about 240 yards off the tee. With 210 to go, I pulled out my 5 wood (figured I couldn't hit my 3 wood) and hit it a little more than 200. It landed in some short rough, between two bunkers, leaving me about 35 feet away and about four feet above the hole. This was before video games, but as I stood over the ball with my putter, I could see the Tiger Woods Golf green arrow. I hit that line and drained it as it was gathering speed. It's been my only eagle.

This course had four nines, so four weeks later I played the same hole, only this time I hit that same oak tree flush, and my tee shot wound up 20 yards behind the tee box.

I can think of some almost HIOs and two long birdie putts on the back 9 at Cog Hill at the Gauntlet.

Best putt of my life, on the 17th, 25' at least, with a wicked rolling S to the cup, and my high school team needed me to sink it. Stepped up, lined up, nailed it. Bounced it off the railing, down around the bend, and right under the moving windmill for a hole in one, for us to win the weekend.

Sorry, we started an interschool club putt putt league. I had 6 holes in one that day!

I have some of both. I am more of a fan of my circus recovery shots.

Same here. For some reason they are so fun to hit and feel way more fulfilling when I pull one off.

Your memorable shots

I remember a few eagles, driving some greens, and a few really long putts... and a few other more random good shots like holing a bunker shot or working it out of trouble to the green.

I also remember a few bad shots too. Shanking it into a lake on a par 3. Topping a drive first hole in a tournament. A five putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle putt from about 25 feet a couple years ago. My hole in one is tops for sure though.

My most memorable shot was during a league match. We were all square on the last hole. The team that we were playing were talking **** all day. My partner duffed his drive and it dribbled maybe 30 yards past the tee box. I pulled my drive (though long) into the trees to the right of the cart path (wasn't even sure I would find it). These guys are whooping it up as they both put their drives safely in the fairway. My Partner manages to hack his ball out of the rough to within about 30 yards of our opponents as we trek off to find my ball. Well, luckily, we found it (it landed literally about a yard safe of going out of bounds) but I had a window about twenty yards in front of me and no bigger than a sliding glass door to hit my shot through. The problem (beyond that) was that the green was about 130 out and 20 yards to the left of that small window. My partner told me to align myself to the window but to align the face of my club to the green. I had never attempted that type of shot before but we were dead one way or the other. I set up with my 9 iron, took my backswing and just let it go. I saw my ball rocket through the window and start turning left. My partner saw it, too, and started running out of the trees to track my ball. I start to follow him and I see him jumping up and down yelling "Yes! Yes! Yes!". I got out of the trees and looked at the green and my ball was sitting 8 inches to the right of the hole. Best shot I've ever made and I didn't even get to see it land. We won the hole and match, btw. Take that **** talkers!

Second best shot I ever made was on a the par 5 17th of the Cabin course at Torreon Golf Club. Smoked my driver right down the middle and had about 225 to the pin. Hit my 5 wood. The ball landed about a foot off the green with about twenty five feet to the pin and it rolled to within a foot. Drained the eagle. That was the last good shot I've ever hit with a wood off the deck.............it was 7 years ago.
:banghead:

My favorite shots are the ones where any rational person would think, "this is going to end badly but I still want to watch"

We've all had some memorable shots. The one that I am thinking about at the moment was on a par 5 hole. I left my tee shot on the left edge of the FW and had 200 yds to the hole. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but in order to get there I would have to pull off a miraculous shot by hitting my ball through a very small window in two tree branches about 175 yds away. The window couldn't have been more than 2' X 2' and at 175 yds away, that is really small. I said to myself, lets do this. I used my 4H and hit the perfect shot just as I planned it. My ball got the perfect loft and sailed through that window and ended up on the green in 2 then I two putted for a birdie. But that 2nd shot was a shot to behold.

Some of both honestly. 2 competition shots that stick out are chipping in for birdie on #1 at PGA National in the THP Championship and sticking a 9 iron to 3 feet to set up a winning birdie in a sudden death playoff in a big local tournament.

My favorite shots are the ones where any rational person would think, "this is going to end badly but I still want to watch"

:laughing:

And a few come to mind as examples of my post. Bank shot off a tree around the green as I didn't have a clear shot to the pin, got it close enough to make the putt. Through a building housing the bathroom and soda machine with no doors but a hallway followed by a small gap in the trees 40 yards past onto the green. Hanging half off a cliff(not a true cliff but a 15 foot drop. Had to balance and take a full swing left handed with a flipped over wedge hitting a ball being held up by a small piece of a plant. (hit it to about 15 feet after swinging way to hard, almost slipping, with no clue where the ball went only to see it fall out of the sky after 2 seconds).

Sadly none of those were on camera as I thought the shots were more likely to end in disaster.

I had tried the bank shot once before and hit myself in the face with the ball, luckily my jaw and not an eye or anything, hence not wanting try 2 to have video evidence of the impending doom.

When I was a junior in high school my dad was teaching me to play. In my second round with him, I holed a chip uphill from about 40 ft out. I think he did the Phil jump!!

Legit great shots for me. While proud of a great recovery, I'm most proud when an original plan comes together.

Usually the ones that stick in my mind have something on the line. Holing out for birdie from the greenside sand for a halve at the Gauntlet in 2014 comes to mind, as well as the 12 foot birdie putt I drained in the first hole of a playoff to win my first tournament. Not many in a casual round are remembered for long, unless I holed out from 100yds or longer.

Probably both about evenly. I just like a good golf shot. First tee shot on a short par 3 to within 2 feet. First (and only) eagle. First time driving a par 4 in one. It was only 302 to the pin, but it still counts! Then there’s the first time I successfully hooked a punch shot through and around some trees. The first time I pitched it 60 yards through a 3 foot opening with a 7i to avoid pitching backwards. Still got my par! Shots I should have never attempted but worked out.

My most memorable are mostly approach shots from beyond 230 yards on par 5’s that leave me with eagle putts inside of 10 feet. They are especially sweet when from a fairway bunker or over water.

Legit great shots for me. While proud of a great recovery, I'm most proud when an original plan comes together.

eaab39e3721c904be665ea54b9f41da0.jpg

eaab39e3721c904be665ea54b9f41da0.jpg

Ha! I just watched an episode of the original a few months back. Probably for the first time in 20 years.

Lotsa great one-liners in that show.

Most memorable one's are seeing the shot required then actually pulling it off. Usually involves cutting or hooking something out of the trees.

Gap wedge to 2 feet on #6 on the Clive course in the Grandaddy sticks out for me. The fact that @rallo hugged me after was pretty awesome haha

My first tee shot at the Indy Invitational is pretty memorable too. First tee shot of the event, my first ever THP event and 40+ THPers watching me made for some serious nerves. I walked to the tee box and forgot to bring a ball with me.

And although it technically wasnt my shot, watching my wife bury a 30 footer for birdie at Love is in the Air to win me a driver in front of JB and Morgan was pretty freaking special

The occasional planned shot, but most memorable are the "f it, im going for it" and it actually works out pretty well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The occasional planned shot, but most memorable are the "f it, im going for it" and it actually works out pretty well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Those are the ones that keep us coming back my friend

Back