Kobe: Top 10 best?

I don't know how Shaq isn't in the top 10

People dont like big men because they lack flash. Then add that if you include him, you pretty much have to include Hakeem (and assuming you already have Jabbar, Wilt and Russell) and possibly even others. I honestly dont think Wilt would be at the top half of my list, but I am pretty sure my list would have close to 5 centers.

People dont like big men because they lack flash. Then add that if you include him, you pretty much have to include Hakeem (and assuming you already have Jabbar, Wilt and Russell) and possibly even others. I honestly dont think Wilt would be at the top half of my list, but I am pretty sure my list would have close to 5 centers.
Kind of odd that Russell is considered a center. Just based on height. I put Dolph Schayes on my list, kind of as a joke. But he was dominate back before light bulbs were invented. We like flashy. Big guys aren't flashy. But Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, those guys were dominant.

Kind of odd that Russell is considered a center. Just based on height. I put Dolph Schayes on my list, kind of as a joke. But he was dominate back before light bulbs were invented. We like flashy. Big guys aren't flashy. But Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, those guys were dominant.

Bill Russell was absolutely a center. He pretty much invented the blocked shot and dominated games defensively like no other player in the history of the game. He was also stronger, faster and more athletic than pretty much any big game before the modern era.

Bill Russell was absolutely a center. He pretty much invented the blocked shot and dominated games defensively like no other player in the history of the game. He was also stronger, faster and more athletic than pretty much any big game before the modern era.
Oh, I know. I'm just looking at height. Nothing more with that statement

I'm not going to be dissapointed when he walks away. The disruption he has caused in his own organization over the past few seasons is a sign of just how selfish of a player he is. Time to go is long over due.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back to a Top 10 list being so hard...

In no particular order I've got LeBron, Jordan, Bird, Magic and Kareem as absolutely mandatory. After that it depends on what you like.

Back to a Top 10 list being so hard...

In no particular order I've got LeBron, Jordan, Bird, Magic and Kareem as absolutely mandatory. After that it depends on what you like.

I dont see how any list could possibly not include Russell. In fact its the only guy on any list that really isnt even arguable.

I dont see how any list could possibly not include Russell. In fact its the only guy on any list that really isnt even arguable.
Other than win 11 NBA championships (2 times as the head coach), 5 NBA MVP's, 4k assists, 14k+ points and 21k+ rebounds ... what has he really done? :alien:

For me, I've never seen him play, he played in an entirely different era, I honestly don't know if he could play in today's game, etc., so I am not sure. He has all the rings and averaged 15 points and 22 boards. To me he's in the mix, I'm just not sure. Kind of the same thing with Big O...never saw him play and it was a different era. Would Big O and Russell dominate today or would they be one of many? I don't know.

FWould Big O and Russell dominate today or would they be one of many?
I know we love to say that athletes nowadays are so much stronger, faster, etc etc ... BUT ... if you send today's basketball player back in time, how would they perform? Players like LeBron, I think would handle it just fine ... but I don't think all of them would be able to adapt to that brand of ball, and I don't think they would have revolutionized basketball either.

For me, I've never seen him play, he played in an entirely different era, I honestly don't know if he could play in today's game, etc., so I am not sure. He has all the rings and averaged 15 points and 22 boards. To me he's in the mix, I'm just not sure. Kind of the same thing with Big O...never saw him play and it was a different era. Would Big O and Russell dominate today or would they be one of many? I don't know.
It could very much be argued that many of today's NBAers couldn't play back then.

They allow zone defense now, the players can travel and palm the ball and the mid range shot is dead as teams take it to the hoop or shoot the three. Yup, he would be fine. But based on the above, T4K, you put Kareem as a definite and he was slow during his championship run and Team D would eliminate much of his offense.

Bigger question to me would be how would any of these modern players be able to play when palming and traveling was called and hand checking was legal.

You forget that most of todays payers would get called for traveling and palming

I know we love to say that athletes nowadays are so much stronger, faster, etc etc ... BUT ... if you send today's basketball player back in time, how would they perform? Players like LeBron, I think would handle it just fine ... but I don't think all of them would be able to adapt to that brand of ball, and I don't think they would have revolutionized basketball either.

It could very much be argued that many of today's NBAers couldn't play back then.
Interesting perspective. I honestly don't see any reason why bigger, stronger, more skilled players would have any problem going back in time to a game that was simpler and less competitive (as late as 1965 the NBA only had 10 teams; through the early 60's the Celtics had 1 player as tall as 6'9"). In any case, I started with those 5 because, among other things, I believe they are transcendent and could play in any era.

Between being 3rd in scoring and his championship record, I cannot fathom a list that doesn't have him in the top 10

Interesting perspective. I honestly don't see any reason why bigger, stronger, more skilled players would have any problem going back in time to a game that was simpler and less competitive (as late as 1965 the NBA only had 10 teams; through the early 60's the Celtics had 1 player as tall as 6'9"). In any case, I started with those 5 because, among other things, I believe they are transcendent and could play in any era.

Hand checking and the general physicality of the NBA is awfully soft now compared to what it was in the 80s, 70s, and 60s. Sure, today's players are all very athletic. But going to the rim was a suicide mission for most of the NBA's history.

You forget that most of todays payers would get called for traveling and palming
I don't ... I was arguing (trying at any rate) that it's not a given that today's player would be able to handle the game back then.

Bigger and stronger that wilt?

I absolutely have him in my top 10. A lot of that has to do with only being 25 and being a Lakers fan so Kobe is the Lakers to me with what I have seen. That being said I can see how people can make a list with him not in the top 10.

My top 10 would be
1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Wilt
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. Shaq
8. Kobe
9. Duncan
10. Malone

I honestly view Malone as one of the most underrated players in history

Bigger and stronger that wilt?

Don't even have to go back that far. The beat the Heatles would have had 4 players left to finish a 7 game series with the Bad Boys. Lambeer would have DESTROYED Wade. Only because it was allowed.

Top 10? No.

Inside the Top 20? Indeed.

Bigger question to me would be how would any of these modern players be able to play when palming and traveling was called and hand checking was legal.

Not Kobe, and definitely not top 10, but funny what they can get away with.

[video=youtube;e-Egm98VjVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Egm98VjVI[/video]

Back