Bixtar SL Golf Balls - THP Review Thread

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the SL golf ball from Bixtar. I can't say I am terribly familiar with the company, however there is a fair bit of information available on their website. They've also got some pretty heavy claims with regards to their goals for golfers, and the effectiveness of their construction. "After trying every kind of golf ball out there, it became clear that the affordable balls lacked quality and the quality balls cost too much. So our mission began. We partnered with leading aerodynamics engineers and utilized cutting edge technology to create high quality golf balls for the everyday golfer."

Bixtar SL Information

Designed in the USA
New modified ionomer cover using cutting edge technology
432 aerodynamic dimple design for in-flight stability
2-piece construction for extraordinary distance
Much Softer Feel than most 2-piece balls
Optimal spin rate for excellent greenside control
Low/Medium spin off the drive
Medium/High spin off the iron
Conforms with the USGA and R&A

Bixtar SL's new precision design provides optimal spin, distance, and control to improve the game of all-level golfers.

This game-changing ball features a newly engineered ionomer cover that provides an exceptionally soft feel. In the past, golfers sacrificed distance for a softer feel, but that is no longer the case. We have managed to combine both to provide a Softer Feel & Longer Distance.

I'll add a few photos in hand in the next day or so. In the meantime, here's a quick look at the packaging;

8966dbf989141cdd4a22f4c6eab4f0f6.png

First time hearing anything about them. Interested to read your reviews on the balls.

Played for 9 holes with the Bixtar tonight. Can't say much for action off the drives as the course is quite soft, but I did see some stopping power on pretty much every approach shot into the greens. I'd argue it's not the kind of zip I'm used to seeing on a higher priced ball, but nothing rolled out - In fact pretty much everything was beside the divot.

Greenside the spin was solid, again not as lively as I've come to expect with what I am used to gaming, but I felt like I had lots of control of the ball.

The dimple pattern is pretty interesting. The gapping between the dimples looks a bit more substantial than usual, but that might also have something to do with the dimples appearing to be smaller than usual. I think this also played a role in the presentation of firmness of the ball.

Will have some more soon for everyone. I gave a couple away during the nine, but sadly as it goes with the game we love.. golf is hard, and balls are lost (lol). Feedback is going to have to be limited thus far.

I see what your saying about the dimple space, if you zoom in on their site you can see the thickness between the dimples. I'm guessing they are trying to get more lift/spin out of the ball.

First time I've ever heard anything about this ball.

Never heard of this ball but i'm interested to hear your thoughts on this one Canadan. Thanks, in advance.

An interesting ball - I'm assuming the SL just stands for Softer Longer, which makes sense. Looks like they want to go up against the Duo-type balls out there, which admittedly don't have a lot of greenside spin. I'll be interested to hear more thoughts as you play the ball over the coming weeks.

Well, I was one of the lucky recipients of one of these balls to test yesterday.

Sadly it fell victim to the pond on #2 after 6 total strokes on the day, but heres a few of my thoughts.

1. The ball "felt" light in hand. Most noticeably when I held it in my hand
2. Distance off of the tee was in line with what I typically see on holes #1 and #2, was definitely not high by any means with either shot.
3. Iron/wedge shots into greens were typical, no noticeable difference in ball flight or distance.
4. I hit 1 greenside wedge shot with Canadan's SM7 58* and actually managed to get the ball to check up a bit (not usually what happens).

All in all a solid ball for the $20/dozen price tag

man im not sure theres a tougher market to try to enter than the golf ball market. From early feedback, this ball sounds solid especially for the price point and yet still my guess is anything over 2% market share is a dream for them

I have never heard of them and the name sounds more like a tech company or something. Nonetheless, this is the price point I'd expect a 2 piece ionomer ball to be at and am curious to see how it does for you, Dan.

An interesting ball - I'm assuming the SL just stands for Softer Longer, which makes sense. Looks like they want to go up against the Duo-type balls out there, which admittedly don't have a lot of greenside spin. I'll be interested to hear more thoughts as you play the ball over the coming weeks.

That's a good guess.

"Softer feel"
"Longer Distance"

The comparison to Duo is an interesting one. Probably need to add in Maxfli's "FLI" series, the Top Flite Gamer, Titleist DT Trusoft, Callaway Warbird, Srixon Soft Feel... Seems like there are a lot of options hitting that 20 dollar mark (more than I've spent time thinking about that's for sure).

I think I might still have a sleeve of the Trusoft hanging out from my spotlight on them. Might help set a precedent of expectations.

That's a good guess.

"Softer feel"
"Longer Distance"

The comparison to Duo is an interesting one. Probably need to add in Maxfli's "FLI" series, the Top Flite Gamer, Titleist DT Trusoft, Callaway Warbird, Srixon Soft Feel... Seems like there are a lot of options hitting that 20 dollar mark (more than I've spent time thinking about that's for sure).

I think I might still have a sleeve of the Trusoft hanging out from my spotlight on them. Might help set a precedent of expectations.

As a fan of the Duo, SoftFli, Gamer Soft, etc I can attest to great driver and iron performance and LOTS of rollout around the greens. If this ball improves on that aspect and keeps the other good things, it’s a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did I read that right? 432 dimples?

I've had a chance to play Bixtar for quite a few nines now, albeit in some tough conditions.

I also shared the product with a few regular playing partners and it received mixed results. First, it's always tough for an unfamiliar product to impress out of the gate, and I'll say that with some a bias was present at first. On colder days, the harsh reality of golf and bundled up swings rarely favours the ball, and much could be said for the Bixtar during the process. A couple comments about the ball feeling 'bad' but nothing negative about overall performance.

That same person changed their mind with 20 degrees of better weather and a better swing behind the ball. They would argue not the softest experience they've had, but not bad either. It's tough to temper the mindset of golfers who regularly play a premium golf ball, and Bixtar will likely suffer a similar fate for those who traditionally play the 40-50 dollar-a-dozen balls.

I found it to be functional in most situations. It's not as lively off the tee, off the irons, or around the greens, but at the pricepoint I think it would be silly to expect maximum performance. The dimple profile is smaller and seemingly more spaced out, giving the Bixtar what I would argue to be a more firm experience in hand - And I think that has a lot to do with more material touching the hand rather than being in a dimple. A weird alteration from the lower number dimple balls that are more common.

Additionally, the cover lasts very well. As you'd expect, cart paths are still going to scuff the ball, and over time the cover will wear, but even with wedges leaving obviously white marks on the face, the ball remained in tact nicely.

Back