Tour Edge HL3 Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Another excellent review, James. From what you wrote, there are a LOT of golfers that this set of irons would be perfect for. The price is definitely right, and I for one don't need workability - I want high and straight every time. I'd take that in a heartbeat at that price point. Sounds like the right set for a lot of weekend warriors and golfers who just want to go have fun, and not worry about hitting cuts or draws into tucked pins.

The 21st there is a demo close to me. The daughter and I will hit these....
She will be due for a full set when a freshman and I think these may be a good fit to replace her Moxi’s.
I’m curious as to how these compare (play) to my current set up

Very nice review, James. They look better at address than I would have thought.

One question, and this has been bugging me for a while when it comes to various sets: Could you define the difference between "workability" and "playability"? I've always thought of them as somewhat synonymous terms but I'm beginning to wonder if "playable" is better phrased "easy to hit."

Thanks!

Excellent write up James. These were high on the ponder list before I decided to go one length, between the price point and the looks of these it was a very close thing.

Good read and a lot of good info in this article. Thank you.

I know these might get overlooked, but it's a good read for a set of irons that aren't going to break the bank.

I know these might get overlooked, but it's a good read for a set of irons that aren't going to break the bank.

I’m really surprised these clubs and threads aren’t getting more traction. Is it because they’re not Exotics? Stigma due to the price? I’m genuinely curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m really surprised these clubs and threads aren’t getting more traction. Is it because they’re not Exotics? Stigma due to the price? I’m genuinely curious.

I thought it was a very good review. If I wasn’t gaming Steelheads already these would make a ton of sense. The thing is, I think most THPers (myself included) like pretty things or cutting edge tech. This is a damn good product at a great price point but doesn’t fit those prior 2 things.

I think both sadly. Some will simply skim over a thread when it says Tour Edge and not Exotics, which is a shame, but we all THP our own way.

I thought it was a very good review. If I wasn’t gaming Steelheads already these would make a ton of sense. The thing is, I think most THPers (myself included) like pretty things or cutting edge tech. This is a damn good product at a great price point but doesn’t fit those prior 2 things.

Well their price range is right in my wheelhouse, so I’ll at least give the driver a look.

Nice write-up James, as usual you covered all the bases. At this price point, they should be able to gain some traction in the largest population of golfers. Thanks again.

Thank you for some honest feedback. I think the looks are subjective, but you are right in that there's nothing jazzy about the tech in these irons - they're just solid performers based on Jman's review and thoughts in the other threads. That may not appeal to THPers, but if there's anything I've noticed here, it's that we always love a good value with our clubs :D For someone who wants to purchase new, and relatively custom-fit, these seem like a no brainer. I really want to head down to RI to give these a swing if I can just to try them out for myself.

Thank you for some honest feedback. I think the looks are subjective, but you are right in that there's nothing jazzy about the tech in these irons - they're just solid performers based on Jman's review and thoughts in the other threads. That may not appeal to THPers, but if there's anything I've noticed here, it's that we always love a good value with our clubs :D For someone who wants to purchase new, and relatively custom-fit, these seem like a no brainer. I really want to head down to RI to give these a swing if I can just to try them out for myself.

TE really has nailed it in their marketing, these very well could be the best value in golf.

Nice review, Jman. Sounds like a really solid iron option at a price point that deserves the attention of the average consumer.

Excellent ! I think these are what I am going to go with for my 13 year old for 6-SW with either KBS90 or graphite shafts. Custom fitted, game improvement and affordable transition irons !

I think this is a great way of thinking, and I have actually pushed a couple of my junior high golfers parents this way for them, affordable, but we can fit them to the specs we need. Brilliant and they perform better than most here would believe.

I think this is a great way of thinking, and I have actually pushed a couple of my junior high golfers parents this way for them, affordable, but we can fit them to the specs we need. Brilliant and they perform better than most here would believe.

Jman

It is a pain to find transition irons for an newly minted teen. I gave up on the woods and am building the Driver, 3W and Hybrid for my son using used OEM heads (TM R15 12 deg, Cobra Fly Z 3W, R15 3H). Got the Flynn junior shafts.

The irons issue is pure madness. Senior or Ladies shafts, steel or graphite. Pretty much scrounging the bottom of the barrel online or local stores. No way to test the fitting for the kid. He hit the new USKG TS3 irons but then I am thinking to plunk down $350+ for a set that he may just outgrow in 3 months is pointless (he is 5'4" so right at the upper end). Started looking at Cobra F6 used irons that I could maybe get re-shafted with the KBS 560/580 junior shafts....or go with Cobra F7 ladies length irons...brain starts to hurt

Anyhow, after reading this thread we did an experiment. I had him swing and hit my Adams Idea CB3 9i which is pretty close to a junior 6i length but has the KBS90 tour shafts. He choked down and was able to handle it. Then started thinking.....why not go with SGI OEM irons heads from TE which they will custom fit to the kid with the various stock shafts options incl KBS90 and graphites. Plus the irons should be good for him for longer period than what I plunk down for USKG TS3, or pick up off the shelf fleabay experiment where you are simply rolling the dice on whether the kid can even game them.

TE can really market these for the 12-15 age group where there is practically nothing to that addresses the unmet need of irons fitted to the child size ! The price point winds up being in the sweet spot. A set of irons can be built for ~$200-300 easily depending on what irons you buy. Then one can always add more irons if needed. The kids will enjoy the game with fitted OEM irons rather than getting frustrated gaming irons that may not be best for them

Off to Miles of Golf tomorrow to get the kid fitted ! Will share my experience. Nice upcoming April b'day gift for him.

I’m leaning this way for my daughter. This will be the last season with her Ping Moxis. From everything I have read, this seems like a logical inexpensive way to get good stuff.
Jman, how would you compare these to the XROS?

Headed to a demo day tomorrow. The thing I looked most forward to is, my daughter hitting the HL3’s. The Scheels manger text me and said TE pulled out of the demo at the last minute. WHY!!! LOL
But going anyway and can’t wait

So I had the chance to try the HL3 IW and the HL3 irons today.

When hitting the 7 iron for both, what I realised was that both 7 irons would launch really high with a distance to match them at the range. The distance was about 125 yards consistent. My usually 7 iron would only go 100 yards maximum.

While I really like both, I came to the conclusion that I preferred the style, looks and consistency that came with short irons due to my hitting style compared the HL3 IWs.

However, here is where it gets interesting. I would say for the longer irons, I would say go for the IWs as they offered forgiveness, greater consistency tighter dispersion and slightly better distance. I only had the 5IW but boy did I love smashing it every single shot and it flew the way I wanted it too without having to worry about forgiveness.

The IWs are a perfect replacement for those who work well with irons and don't play well with hybrids or for people like me where you get tired after a couple of games and are better at using irons over the hybrids.

If I were to configure my set it would be 2-5 IWs and 6 to SW HL3 irons.

I look forward to trying the CBX IWs (2-4 IWs).

Thanks to TE, all the THP users who gave feedback, helped and know I appreciate your sincere advice.

Well their price range is right in my wheelhouse, so I’ll at least give the driver a look.
For a beginning set, I don't think you can do better than Tour Edge and the Hot Launch line. If you're a high handicap, want to make the game easier for yourself, but don't want to break the bank on a set of irons ... 10 times out of 10, I'd recommend Tour Edge. It's the route I went early in my playing days, and I don't regret it one bit.

For a beginning set, I don't think you can do better than Tour Edge and the Hot Launch line. If you're a high handicap, want to make the game easier for yourself, but don't want to break the bank on a set of irons ... 10 times out of 10, I'd recommend Tour Edge. It's the route I went early in my playing days, and I don't regret it one bit.

I agree, the tour edge line is great set of irons for a high handicapper. The hot launch I find is nice and easy to strike but the launch angle is really high, good for getting out of tough spots. Look forward to the Tour Edge Exotics CBX line.

Back